Question Baffling network card problem with MSI X570 Tomahawk max

ubermik

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
I hate to admit this but this has me completely stumped and seems to show a hole in my knowledge as I am not sure how this problem can even be possible, so hopefully some far wiser member will be able to shine a light on this mystery

I have an MSI X570 Tomahawk Wi-Fi motherboard updated to the latest bios, the internal ethernet port and wifi stopped working, but as I was about to upgrade to 10gbe throughout my home I put the machine to one side until the network had been upgraded

But when I tried to set up the 10gbe card it says its connected to both a network and the internet, it gets an IP address from the DHCP server (router) but refuses to open any network pages at all claiming that any page I try to open isnt secure

I get the exact same result with any network card I plug in including intel 1gbe, 10gbe and various other brands such as the ROG 10gbe and several Realtek 1gbe cards, same error with every single one and a complete inability to view anything either on the local network or the internet

I have tried fully disabling the internal Wi-Fi and ethernet as well as turning off the built in AMD security device as one of the errors it gives is a security warning that any site I try to view isnt HTTPS

I am at a complete loss as to how a faulty on board network card can cause the same fault on add in network cards, but as it stands the motherboard is junk other than for being used as a completely non networked PC as literally everything else on the motherboard works fine

I cant return the motherboard because MSI has a very user UNfriendly warranty where you have to return the motherboard to the shop, but this machine was built for me by a friend who died earlier this year leaving me with a motherboard that is still within the warranty period, but which I cant return because I have absolutely no idea where he purchased it from so I can return it under RMA which will make this the very last MSI motherboard I will be likely to have, because if a retailer goes bankrupt you would also be in the exact same position

So I an crossing my fingers that somebody has an idea for a workaround

ubermik

Distinguished
May 6, 2011
Have you verified that your system time (including time zone) is set correctly? Are you using a VPN?

If you boot this system with a Live Linux distro, does the on-board (or any for that matter) adapters work properly?

Actually I hadnt thought of trying a linux CD as I've never used linux in my entire life lol, I'll give that a go and report back

As for the time, that was the other bizarre thing, I removed the CMOS battery and defaulted the CMOS settings just to be double sure there wasnt a spurious setting causing the problem, and even though it says theres no network and wont connect to anything Windows still managed to set the date and time from its network time server