[SOLVED] Baked r9 270 don't work anymore

sfnstc

Commendable
Feb 7, 2019
Hi everybody,
I recently bought an old pc from a friend for a small amount. I used it for some days but graphic card was sometimes crashing and sometimes displaying some artifacts so I decided to bake it.

10 min at 180 C, let it rest for 20 min and applied new thermal paste.
Now I mount it, start the PC and nothing get displayed.

Some facts:
gigabyte p55 ud3l
2x2gb 1333mhz ddr3
i5 760 no OC
R9 270 asus

GPU fans work, the green light is ON but it seems to have no signal in output.
triple check on cables and tried 2 different monitors.

Any idea on what happened or how to make it work?

racksmith101

Respectable
Just baking a card won't resolder a dry joint, the GPU will need refluxing to allow the solder to reflow and create a decent solder joint. It needs to be done on a proper reflow setup with a proper reflow profile, otherwise all you're doing is baking the components on the board. Most components are only rated at 250c for about 30 seconds on a reflow profile.

USAFRet

Titan

And this is even if the original cause was a poor solder joint.
That is completely unknown.

Probably not, or any oven now that it is not working at all. And you don't want to use a regular oven because the card will have all sorts of fun dangerous chemicals that will be released during the process.

When I worked for a company that made ovens that made microchips (CPUs, etc..) during a visit to IBM they were showing us the tanks with chemicals and were telling us how long it would take for each one to kill us. Some were in the under 10 second range. Fun times, wearing a bunny suit, inside a giant box with deadly chemicals.

sfnstc

Commendable
Feb 7, 2019
Thanks everybody for your answers.
Costs for repairing the gpu wouldn't match the benefits so I trashed the card and bought a brand new gpu :p

Solution