[SOLVED] Balanced AM4 mobo (ATX or EATX) for gaming Ryzen 7 5800X and 3080 RTX.

silnox

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Hello guys, I need some help picking components, especially with the motherboard. Budget arround ~220$ or 200€.

I’m trying to build a balanced PC that is good for gaming. If I do OC it would be a very small OC. I’ll reuse some components from my old rigg for now:
  • Crossair RM 750W Gold plus (2014 version).
  • 980 graphic card Asus GeForce Strix GTX 980 DirectCU II OC 4GB GDDR5. However I will swap this with a 3080 GTX as soon as I can find one at decent price.
Need to choose the Motherboard, ATX or EATX . I'm gonna list some concerns and latter put an example of what I'm looking for:
  1. They say some AM4 mobos doesn't work with 5800X unless you update them but obviously you need an older ryzen to do that. Soooo, What should I search in the specs of the mobo to be sure is more or less modern and do not require updates to work with this CPU?, all B550 have same problem and I need to go x570?. Original message: Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.
  2. I search in the mb that it has: newest bluetooth, as good as posible ethernet, could have, acceptable sound, compatible with old and new graphic card (GTX 980 and 3080 RTX)
  3. What should I look for to make sure it is compatible with M.2 hardrives to use as main HDD with the OS? I'll use one M.2, one SSD and 2 normal SATA HDDs.
  4. I do not care about SLI/Crossfire. Minimum OC is more than enough.
  5. ¿Any recommendations in what should I look for? (I'm not an ASUS fan had horrible experience with their customer service)
The computer I would like to have would be like this:

PCPartPicker Part List In dollars buying in US
PCPartPicker Part List In euros buying from Spain (same thing but buying in Spain)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($539.98 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon) It's just an example, should change
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($134.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Amazon) , also older SSD and 2 Sata HDDs.
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB XC3 BLACK GAMING Video Card ($779.99 @ Adorama) I will buy it latter.
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ B&H) It's just an example, should change
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply I'll try to reuse mine.
Total: $1878.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-01-25 13:53 EST-0500

Thanks for reading this far :). If you can share some knowledge or advice It would be much appreciated.

Solution
H510 is a solid case,but for mid-range system's.
I dont like to hate on cases since its a trend,but a closed front panel with only 1 exhaust and 1 top exhaust fan isnt enough for 5800X and 3080.
Everything else is good.
Now for the motherboard.
Im pretty sure all B550/X570 boards need a bios update for Vermeer CPU's and to do that some require a 3rd gen CPU,or something that GIGABYTE's motherboards from their AORUS lineup have,its called Q Flash Plus.
As much as im aware,with Q flash plus you dont need either cpu or ram installed in the motherboard,all you need is a powersupply,and well the motheboard obviously,and a small USB containing the update.
So it basically lets you get in to the bios and update the BIOS that way.
Now for the...
H510 is a solid case,but for mid-range system's.
I dont like to hate on cases since its a trend,but a closed front panel with only 1 exhaust and 1 top exhaust fan isnt enough for 5800X and 3080.
Everything else is good.
Now for the motherboard.
Im pretty sure all B550/X570 boards need a bios update for Vermeer CPU's and to do that some require a 3rd gen CPU,or something that GIGABYTE's motherboards from their AORUS lineup have,its called Q Flash Plus.
As much as im aware,with Q flash plus you dont need either cpu or ram installed in the motherboard,all you need is a powersupply,and well the motheboard obviously,and a small USB containing the update.
So it basically lets you get in to the bios and update the BIOS that way.
Now for the motherboard.
As for your other specifications,i would consider this.
For the case i would consider this or this .
Everything else is fine in my opinion.

Reactions: silnox
Solution
Jan 25, 2021
Go with this mobo imo: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08BWZGSHB?ref=emc_p_m_5_i it has wifi 6 and bluetooth.
Should work out of the box with Zen 3, but the reviews say it depends. If not, flash the bios with a usb. Its a really good bang for the buck mobo.
Why are you going with an h510 with such a high budget? Horrible airflow. If you're using 2 older HDD's and an SSD, get a 250/500 gig nvme for like 50 bucks and get this case: https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Maste...tronics&sprefix=zen+3,electronics,244&sr=1-27

Last edited:
Reactions: silnox

silnox

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
Thank you guys. I see that my case is a bad pick, I'll search for a new one. However, I didn't want anything fancy.

There is no way I get a mobo that can work with Ryzen 5800X without an update??? :confused_old:

Jan 25, 2021
You can't, but some have a chance of shipping with the updated bios. It's a bit of a coin flip, sadly. Or, just wait a bit and buy a mobo when there's dedicated ones for zen 3