[SOLVED] Balancing CPU Usage

Hi all,

I've personally gotten tired of the super loud Wraith Prism and decided to drop the stable 4.0Ghz OC on my 2700X. At least until I buy a new cooler that's much quieter.

My aim is to achieve more balanced performance. This being a slower but quieter system while browsing and doing daily office workloads and the performance + fans to ramp up while I play some games as I usually wear headphones.

I've reverted the Windows power plan to Balanced and used Ryzen master to set the Auto profile. I am getting different readings between HWMonitor, Ryzen Master, and Windows Task Manager.

The average readings when idle on HWMonitor & Ryzen Master (which are both showing matching readings) indicates most of the cores being at 2.2Ghz, whilst jumping up and down between 2.0Ghz - 2.8Ghz. Nothing unusual here.
However, I've noticed that 1 or 2 of the 8 cores are constantly jumping to 4.2/4.3Ghz. Additionally, these 1 or 2 jumping cores keep changing.
i.e: sometimes core 2 will go up to 4.2Ghz. A few seconds later, it will go back down to 2.2Ghz, but instead, core 7 will shoot up to 4.3Ghz.... and so forth.
As for Task Manager, the readings are showing a constant 3.4/3.5Ghz clock speed.

Question 1: I'm guessing it's because Task Manager shows only 1 reading and therefore shows an average speed. Is this right?

Question 2: Is it normal that 1 or 2 cores have a significantly higher clock speed of 4.2/4.3Ghz at all times?

Question 3: Is it normal that the 1 or 2 higher-clocked cores keep changing?

Question 4: Do you recommend alternative methods for me to achieve a more balance overclocking method?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Solution
Hi all,

I've personally gotten tired of the super loud Wraith Prism and decided to drop the stable 4.0Ghz OC on my 2700X. At least until I buy a new cooler that's much quieter.

My aim is to achieve more balanced performance. This being a slower but quieter system while browsing and doing daily office workloads and the performance + fans to ramp up while I play some games as I usually wear headphones.

I've reverted the Windows power plan to Balanced and used Ryzen master to set the Auto profile. I am getting different readings between HWMonitor, Ryzen Master, and Windows Task Manager.

The average readings when idle on HWMonitor & Ryzen Master (which are both showing matching readings) indicates most of the cores being at 2.2Ghz...
Hi all,

The average readings when idle on HWMonitor & Ryzen Master (which are both showing matching readings) indicates most of the cores being at 2.2Ghz, whilst jumping up and down between 2.0Ghz - 2.8Ghz. Nothing unusual here.
However, I've noticed that 1 or 2 of the 8 cores are constantly jumping to 4.2/4.3Ghz. Additionally, these 1 or 2 jumping cores keep changing.
i.e: sometimes core 2 will go up to 4.2Ghz. A few seconds later, it will go back down to 2.2Ghz, but instead, core 7 will shoot up to 4.3Ghz.... and so forth.
As for Task Manager, the readings are showing a constant 3.4/3.5Ghz clock speed.

Question 1: I'm guessing it's because Task Manager shows only 1 reading and therefore shows an average speed. Is this right?

Question 2: Is it normal that 1 or 2 cores have a significantly higher clock speed of 4.2/4.3Ghz at all times?

Question 3: Is it normal that the 1 or 2 higher-clocked cores keep changing?

Question 4: Do you recommend alternative methods for me to achieve a more balance overclocking method?

Thanks in advance for your time.
  1. Yes. You can go to advance mode and see every thread.
  2. Yes, CPU is responding to demands from OS and SW. Ideally it would be cores marked by stars in Ryzen Masteras they are most capable core.
  3. See #2
  4. Not really sure what you mean by "balanced" ? Only way is to set CPU multiplier manually so frequency stays same all the time although I'm not sure why would you want that.

Solution
  1. Yes. You can go to advance mode and see every thread.
  2. Yes, CPU is responding to demands from OS and SW. Ideally it would be cores marked by stars in Ryzen Masteras they are most capable core.
  3. See #2
  4. Not really sure what you mean by "balanced" ? Only way is to set CPU multiplier manually so frequency stays same all the time although I'm not sure why would you want that.
Thanks a lot!