Baldur's Gate 3 In Long-Term Picture, Says Beamdog

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
look at mass effect 1->2->3
look at dragon age 1->2

do we really want a Baldur's Gate 3 from current bioware?
the enhanced editions are welcome because they shouldn't be screwing with whats already there, just making it play nice on a modern os/computer.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]look at mass effect 1->2->3look at dragon age 1->2do we really want a Baldur's Gate 3 from current bioware? the enhanced editions are welcome because they shouldn't be screwing with whats already there, just making it play nice on a modern os/computer.[/citation]

Hehe, you're right. Not from current BioWare. ME3 is good but could've been even better had they not wasted their time on Kinect and such. BW needs to come back to PC and start making great games like NWN/KOTOR1 again!

doyletdude

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2010
Good thing Bioware isn't working on this intellectual property anymore. By the looks of things Baldur's Gate is owned by Atari and they are having this Beamdog developer work on the enhanced editions and possibly 3

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]look at mass effect 1->2->3look at dragon age 1->2do we really want a Baldur's Gate 3 from current bioware? the enhanced editions are welcome because they shouldn't be screwing with whats already there, just making it play nice on a modern os/computer.[/citation]

i take it you missed out on the fact that this is being developed by Beam dog and published by Atari NOT bioware. for christ sakes , how many more peopel do i need to tell this too

Bioware , no longer works for Atari here is teh relation of companies

hasbro owns atari

hasbro owns Wizards of The Coast

Wizards of the coast Owns ALL things DnD , After TSR went bankrupt WoTC bought them adn all thier ip's and asorbed most of their work force. WoTC licenses DnD to Atari ONLY they don't license DnD IP to competitors this way

Baldur's Gate is a city that is set in Forgotten realms which in turn is a DnD campaign world.
when the BG series first came out it was being licensed to Black Isle through TSR , that license ended the day WoTC bought and absorbed TSR because WoTC now owned the IP. Bioware in turn started developing for Atari because WoTC wanted them to be the developers of the DnD Games and because it simplified matters to keep bioware in the loop, Black isle went chapter 11 however.

Bioware hasn't worked for atari in a LONG time , Bioware works for EA now and has since before ME 1 came out i think the last game they did under atari was Jade Empire.

now put these facts together and you should get to the conclusion that BIOWARE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS RE-RELEASE PROJECT.

ethaniel

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2005
Now now, no need to rush. We need the Enhanced editions of both Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 first, including expansions. After that, they really need to make an Enhanced edition of Planescape: Torment. THEN... we'll talk BG3.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]BW needs to come back to PC and start making great games like NWN/KOTOR1 again![/citation]
but kotor is rubish? it's one of the least stable games I've tried if ignoring the initial release of heroes of might and magic 4 before patches

G

@Demonhorde665 So close to a perfect score there, but just one niggling detail; Bioware doesn't *work* for EA now, EA actually completely owns Bioware. They're now a division of Electronic Arts, which breaks my heart.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]john_4[/nom]Bioware is EA's new whore and it shows, look how pathetic Dragon Age 2 was.[/citation]

It wasn't as bad as the first in technical terms, so there is hope. But I'd rather have a game full of Leliana than more dwarves ...

Lord Captivus

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2011
Please dont change the difficulty level on the Enhanced Edition! dont "level" fights!
I loved to get my ass kicked when i entered the wrong room at the wrong time...(OMG! Did that guy just summon a Dragon!!)
Ok...ill be see YOU soon...

- Exit
- Load

...Few days later...

- Guess whos BACK!!

Antimatter79

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]i take it you missed out on the fact that this is being developed by Beam dog and published by Atari NOT bioware. for christ sakes , how many more peopel do i need to tell this too Bioware , no longer works for Atari here is teh relation of companies hasbro owns atari hasbro owns Wizards of The CoastWizards of the coast Owns ALL things DnD , After TSR went bankrupt WoTC bought them adn all thier ip's and asorbed most of their work force. WoTC licenses DnD to Atari ONLY they don't license DnD IP to competitors this way Baldur's Gate is a city that is set in Forgotten realms which in turn is a DnD campaign world. when the BG series first came out it was being licensed to Black Isle through TSR , that license ended the day WoTC bought and absorbed TSR because WoTC now owned the IP. Bioware in turn started developing for Atari because WoTC wanted them to be the developers of the DnD Games and because it simplified matters to keep bioware in the loop, Black isle went chapter 11 however. Bioware hasn't worked for atari in a LONG time , Bioware works for EA now and has since before ME 1 came out i think the last game they did under atari was Jade Empire. now put these facts together and you should get to the conclusion that BIOWARE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS RE-RELEASE PROJECT.[/citation]

Thanks so much for breaking it down. I had given up understanding the history over the years. I just know I love me some Baldur's Gate. If they can pull off Baldur's Gate 3 and it's at least as good as the previous releases, it will be a testament to what level of gaming experience can be achieved with a relatively small budget. Maybe more big companies will learn and adopt the philosophy that you can do more with less, and use the extra funds for more content, not big budget trailers that have nothing to do with how the game plays, and pop-up ads on website that nobody is going to click on anyways. Thanks again for the brief yet informative history lesson.

gokanis

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2011
An enhanced edition for both is a great idea to get interest in the games going again (unless your a fan like me and will get it no matter what). This will help get a little hype started for three. I would love to play the enhanced versions with some new content and some stories to tie things together. Then smack a three on us and blow us away.

furylicious

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
The Baldur's Gate series was probably my favorite games of all time, but I'm not confident in it if it's not being developed by BioWare. If they mess it up, even Jon Irenicus will turn in his grave.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
I don't see the point of a Baldur's Gate 3. There's nothing left to tell with that story and a Baldur's Gate 3 will probably end up being a new story with nothing really in common with the first two. So it will be trying to exist off of name recognition instead of standing on its own merits, which is a bad idea.

From what I've read, it sounds like the enhanced edition will be just a glorified mod. The games will need at least a graphical overhaul to make me interested. It can keep the isometric perspective, but some 3D rendering would be nice. And maybe even some camera zooming and rotating to avoid exploring behind buildings with dithered sprites. Improved multiplayer would be greatly appreciated as well.

Prey

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
There could be another child of Bhaal. At this point when you played the the series, the joy wasn't so much the primary story line, but the many many other side quests which were in depth and involved too. That formula proves quite successful even now, look at Skyrim. Baldurs Gate (primarily 2) was an entire world, much more so than Skyrim. The problem most people have with Baldurs Gate is that it's too open ended and requires a bit more in the realm of tactics.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

No, it's not rubbish. I only had two problems with it:

1) Had to turn off grass - the game crashed with it on since my crappy Intel integrated graphics couldn't support it. After that, beat the whole game w/o issues.

2) Doesn't support Windows 7, so I can't play it on my new rig.

This makes me remember the "remastered" MDK2 """HD""" which didn't really look so much better than the original. Hopefully this case will be different.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]amk-aka-Phantom[/nom]Hehe, you're right. Not from current BioWare. ME3 is good but could've been even better had they not wasted their time on Kinect and such. BW needs to come back to PC and start making great games like NWN/KOTOR1 again![/citation]

i was more considering the moving away from actual rpg elements and making it basically a straight up action game, and from dragon age, having... kind of a world to explore, and moving it to a city where every environment became the same, cumulateing in the fact that the game stepped away from rpg again too.

[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]i take it you missed out on the fact that this is being developed by Beam dog and published by Atari NOT bioware. for christ sakes , how many more peopel do i need to tell this too Bioware , no longer works for Atari here is teh relation of companies hasbro owns atari hasbro owns Wizards of The CoastWizards of the coast Owns ALL things DnD , After TSR went bankrupt WoTC bought them adn all thier ip's and asorbed most of their work force. WoTC licenses DnD to Atari ONLY they don't license DnD IP to competitors this way Baldur's Gate is a city that is set in Forgotten realms which in turn is a DnD campaign world. when the BG series first came out it was being licensed to Black Isle through TSR , that license ended the day WoTC bought and absorbed TSR because WoTC now owned the IP. Bioware in turn started developing for Atari because WoTC wanted them to be the developers of the DnD Games and because it simplified matters to keep bioware in the loop, Black isle went chapter 11 however. Bioware hasn't worked for atari in a LONG time , Bioware works for EA now and has since before ME 1 came out i think the last game they did under atari was Jade Empire. now put these facts together and you should get to the conclusion that BIOWARE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THIS RE-RELEASE PROJECT.[/citation]

did not know, im leaving the above comment because what i said stand for any rpg made by them...

now trying to find anything on the beamdog or who may work on the Baldur's Gate 3, and i cant find much... anyidea? i dont like the idea of a company who has only done remakes to work on the seriese almost as much as i dont like the idea of bioware doing it.

[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]I don't see the point of a Baldur's Gate 3. There's nothing left to tell with that story and a Baldur's Gate 3 will probably end up being a new story with nothing really in common with the first two. So it will be trying to exist off of name recognition instead of standing on its own merits, which is a bad idea.From what I've read, it sounds like the enhanced edition will be just a glorified mod. The games will need at least a graphical overhaul to make me interested. It can keep the isometric perspective, but some 3D rendering would be nice. And maybe even some camera zooming and rotating to avoid exploring behind buildings with dithered sprites. Improved multiplayer would be greatly appreciated as well.[/citation]

I agree that there will not, or at least there should not, be any relation between the new BG and the old story. I still think it makes sense, since Baldur's Gate was part of the forgotten realms setting before it was made into a game. It's like Neverwinter Nights (or any other D&D game for that matter). Different stories that happen inside the same fantasy world, and it makes sense since Forgotten Realms is such a rich setting.

Looking foward for the enhanced version of the old games, if it turns out good enough, we can have our hopes up for BG3. And if they resort to kickstarter, money won't be an issue.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
Isn't BG TuTu already some kind of BG Enhanced Edition? And I just bought the BG Collection DVD of Amazon damn...Ah well, it was only 10$.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Maxor127[/nom]I don't see the point of a Baldur's Gate 3. There's nothing left to tell with that story and a Baldur's Gate 3 will probably end up being a new story with nothing really in common with the first two. So it will be trying to exist off of name recognition instead of standing on its own merits, which is a bad idea.From what I've read, it sounds like the enhanced edition will be just a glorified mod. The games will need at least a graphical overhaul to make me interested. It can keep the isometric perspective, but some 3D rendering would be nice. And maybe even some camera zooming and rotating to avoid exploring behind buildings with dithered sprites. Improved multiplayer would be greatly appreciated as well.[/citation]

Totally agree here. Some kind of 3D rendering would be cool, as long as it's well done. See Jagged Alliance - Back in Action for an example of a remake in 3D that is NOT well done. As for BG 3, agreeing here too. Any new story based on Forgotten Realm would have done the trick.

G

i will support it in hopes that something is released; even with low expectations of modern gaming i have a small hope that they will make a new BG and it will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.