Ballmer May Launch Office 2013 Beta on Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
I'm getting the feeling that SINCE Windows has becoming nothing more than a platform to run MSOffice... that very soon, MS-Office will be ONE-with-the-OS. Like IE or Calculator.

Also, going around is that MS will no longer sell Retail versions of Windows and that you can only by the OEM version of Win8 in a 5-pak. DIY builders are going to have a grand time with that, no? If its $40 each, it maybe usable. If the usual $100 per licence...

I think we're going to hear a lot of cursing soon.

Is Liniux looking better?

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Why don't they just release Windows 8 packaged with Office?[/citation]

It's like asking EA to bundle a game with Orion.

Of course neither will do it, they want PROFITS.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
developers, developers, developers, developers!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I'm excited to see what the ARM version will look like with touch capabilities. So far there hasn't been any great version of Office on tablet/phone.

RealBeast

Titan
[citation][nom]JOSHSKORN[/nom]Why don't they just release Windows 8 packaged with Office?[/citation]
They apparent are for OEMs, digitimes recently reported the pricing to OEMs -- $80 - 100 for Windows 8 Pro with Office.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I dont even pay a cent to productivity software these days, we got free open source software like OpenOffice. Dumping my money on a better PC parts is a better choice.

SteelCity1981

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Realbeast[/nom]They apparent are for OEMs, digitimes recently reported the pricing to OEMs -- $80 - 100 for Windows 8 Pro with Office.[/citation]

That's what OEM vendors will have to pay to bundle it on their pc's not the consumor. The Consumor won't have that option if we want Office 2013 we'll have to pay the full price for it like we always had.

G

actually, openoffice proper was revived by apache, so right now, there are two seperate forked branches going on. those need to be merged.

also, ive been using a leaked build. its different, but im getting used to it.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]I'm getting the feeling that SINCE Windows has becoming nothing more than a platform to run MSOffice... that very soon, MS-Office will be ONE-with-the-OS. Like IE or Calculator.Also, going around is that MS will no longer sell Retail versions of Windows and that you can only by the OEM version of Win8 in a 5-pak. DIY builders are going to have a grand time with that, no? If its $40 each, it maybe usable. If the usual $100 per licence... I think we're going to hear a lot of cursing soon. Is Liniux looking better?[/citation]
Well bittorrent is always the easiest solution

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Elnegrogato[/nom]actually, openoffice proper was revived by apache, so right now, there are two seperate forked branches going on. those need to be merged.[/citation] Oh? I didn't know... I stopped paying attention to OO a long time ago. I've caught up a bit.

LibreOffice was needed, Oracle was doing stupid things and pissed off a ton of people. And I agree, at this point - LO and OO need to merge band to simply a single OO. But how Apache feels about that would be a factor. It is likely, they'll never merge.

I wonder how much more CPU horsepower and RAM will be needed for something that doesn't do anymore for the average Office user than Office 95 on a 486 with 16MB RAM. Seriously since I first started using Office I haven't ever seen anything change that makes a difference in my Excel spreadsheets and Word documents. I could insert hyperlinks, pictures, clip-art, auto-correct, footnotes, &c in Word and all the accounting functionality was there in Excel. Are there new Excel formulas now possible? Earlier versions of Office probably had all the functionality most people have any use for I just did not use it much before then.

The only real big difference came with 2007 where they screwed up the interface. So that now rather than a few quick memorized keystrokes I have to stop what I am doing and hunt around the ribbon with my mouse.

The real improvements have been in Outlook. Namely Exchange and larger PST files. Although their IMAP support still sucks.

Very few people actually use any of the other Office programs outside of Powerpoint, Excel, Word and Outlook. I wonder how many actually use Groove, Onenote or Publisher?

sync_nine

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Its just like games company these days...first they release a part of the software and then milk the customers for DLC.....
Same story here...

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
I really don't care about new releases of Office since in brings nothing exciting new, other than re-arrangements of already existing tools. I don't blame MS either, it's just the fact that you can't do much more. Personally I use Office 2003 and 2007, and 'till MS discovers and brings a real innovation on the table, Iwill stck with those.

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]velocityg4[/nom]I wonder how much more CPU horsepower and RAM will be needed for something that doesn't do anymore for the average Office user than Office 95 on a 486 with 16MB RAM. The only real big difference came with 2007 where they screwed up the interface. So that now rather than a few quick memorized keystrokes I have to stop what I am doing and hunt around the ribbon with my mouse. Bigger Outlook PST files[/citation]
Well, if your 486 PC still works with its original software... it may still run kind-of fast, but if you compare it to a modern $300 computer, you would notice the 486 IS slower.

Yes, Windows has gotten bigger and bigger. A Win3 install needed 10MB of HD space. Win95 = 200mb. Win98 = 500mb. WinXP = 2GB, Win7 = 8~10GB of HD space.

MSWord for MSDos and Win3.x are horrible compared to the likes of Word 2000+. Our computers have gotten more powerful and larger screens. We didn't do photos in our word processors in the 80s and 90s because our PCs could only handle 2~16 colors! Color information (especially in photos) requires more CPU horse power, more memory... more HD storage. I still remember working on a Desktop publishing project in 1990 and I feel asleep on the keyboard waiting for the screen to refresh! My 7Mhz CPU was going as fast as it could.

When I did Photoshop in 1995~7 on a 133Mhz CPU with 16mb RAM, the image sizes were 15~25mb in size (I think about 8000x8000 rez) and everything MOVED soooo slow! (Photoshop fits on 3 floppies back then).

With more horse power, came more tools. But as of late, a good 5 year old PC running Win7 will do pretty good for basic office work.

Now, I hate Win8 because things were changed for desktop use that are plain stupid. The ribbon interface was to get people to actually use features of their software. And for good reason, OpenOffice is gaining market share (9% US, 20% in many parts of Europe) - Today OpenOffice still looks and works very much like Office2003.

Now, Office 2010 fixed the ribbon issues and has a customized ribbon feature. Its very nice... I think Office 2010 is excellent. I still use office 2003 at home because, its paid for... and does everything I need. Otherwise, I'd just be using OpenOffice... which is what I put on everyones computer that doesn't have MSOffice.

Outlook features are pretty damn good... the PST file is such garbage. I hate it... makes life harder. Eudora was better... each folder was its own file (in / Out / whatever). If a folder got corrupted, it didn't effect any of the others. And ALL the attachments were put into a folder... which you can move or delete files as needed. I know I know, harder for the novice to use.

[citation][nom]leandrodafontoura[/nom]Hasnt Open/Libre Office killed Microsfot Office already? Why they even bother?[/citation]

Strange, I thought Office has killed Open/Libre office already.

Status
Not open for further replies.