Bandwidth limiting on a Netgear Router

Kristian Lum

Honorable
Jun 28, 2013
Hello fellow techies need some info about Netgear model no. WNDR3400v2 would like to know if its possible to the speed of my bandwidth for wireless users on the router as in direct line computers would get the usual 10mbps but the wireless devices would only get 2mbps out of that 10mbps can anyone help me out thanks.

You need a rather advanced form of QoS that this router does not have...at least in the manual I looked at there are a number of firmware and hardware versions. Most routers can only control the traffic outbound....ie upload. This is seldom the bottleneck. In most cases the overload condition is in the download.

DD-WRT and some other third party firmware like tomato have options that let you set the download rates to a particular value. It mostly works but there are some applications that don't. You are actually discarding data AFTER you have already received it and AFTER it has used the bandwidth.

Now none of these QoS, unless you also put your wireless in a different network, can identify which ip/mac are wireless and which are wired. You will have to manually assign them to groups yourself.

Unfortunately the first big hurtle is going to try to find firmware there is a lot of mixed information on your router seems there is quite some difference between the revision levels and the images will actually brick the router if you load the wrong one. I tend to only use asus and tplink because I know they have very strong support for third party firmware....and both these brand have the advanced QoS in the factory image for most their routers.