Question bandwith problems with router

danipoz

Honorable
May 31, 2015
So basically i have my ISP's modem which has wifi , but in my room which is in the other part of the house i need another wifi because the other is weak so i bought a "TP-LINK TL-WR840N 300mbps wireless n router". Got one more pc in the house and that is connected directly in to the ISP's modem and it gets full bandwith which is around 60mbps on speedtest which i am paying for. I also get full speed when connecting directly from the modem, if i connect the ethernet cable from the ISP's modem to the routers wan port i just mentioned and then from the router to my pc i only get around 8-9mbps. Suddenly the speed was going up to 60 which is supposed to be. So i tought its all okay. Played a few games and after 2 hours i checked again the speed and it was back to 8-9mbps. Cables are all fine,tested on the other pc,they are cat5e. It is either windows or the router. Also as soon as i setup the quick installation guide i cannot acces the routers page, which is tplinkwifi.net or 192.168.1.1, but i can enter 192.168.0.1 from the isp

bfcallan

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Touching on a few points, is the wireless disabled on the ISP's modem? There also may be a few settings you want to tinker with on the ISP's modem like disabling router functions (DHCP, DNS). It could be that you have 2 devices on your network trying to do the same thing.

bfcallan

Honorable
Jan 14, 2014
Oh okay, have you checked to make sure they are on different channels? This may pose an issue though, you have two DHCP servers handing out IP addresses in the same space. If you could I would try and turn off the DHCP on the new router to avoid any issues.

kanewolf

Titan
That router is a pretty low end device. ($21 at WallMart). But it should handle 60Mbit wired. First thing to investigate with poor wired performance is the cables. Is that "ethernet cable from the ISP's modem to the routers wan port" a short cable or a through-the-wall cable ?

Reactions: bfcallan

danipoz

Honorable
May 31, 2015
Touching on a few points, is the wireless disabled on the ISP's modem? There also may be a few settings you want to tinker with on the ISP's modem like disabling router functions (DHCP, DNS). It could be that you have 2 devices on your network trying to do the same thing.
I disabled DHCP on both the modem and router, still the same.

That router is a pretty low end device. ($21 at WallMart). But it should handle 60Mbit wired. First thing to investigate with poor wired performance is the cables. Is that "ethernet cable from the ISP's modem to the routers wan port" a short cable or a through-the-wall cable ?
It is through-the-wall, its around 13-14meters long. But the lenght isnt an issue because if i connect it directly into my pc and not the wan port on the router i get the full bandwith