Question Bang for the Buck Motherboard for Ryzen 3600

Jun 24, 2019
Hello all

Hope you are doing well!!!!
My first post on these forums)))

I'm currently waiting for July 7, so that I can order Ryzen 3600(Should I be considering 3600x?)

So, my question is- What motherboard should I be getting?(I have a micro ATX Case, so from this range please) I would like to stay within 100GBP range, as I don't really tinker with overclocking too much and and don't tinker with insides of pc too much.

Current and expected components:

I have Corsair CC-9011087-WW Carbide Series SPEC-M2 Windowed Micro ATX Gaming Case - Black
I have EVGA 100-B1-0600-KR - 600W 80 Plus Bronze Power Supply (100-B1-0600-KR)
I have Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 WF2OC-3GD 3 GB GDDR5 Memory PCI Express 3 Windforce 2 HDMI Graphics Card - Black
Planning to buy Patriot 16GB Kit (2 X 8GB) 3400 MHz (PC4-27200) Viper 4 Series DDR4 2400 MT/s DRAM (PV416G340C6K) (https://www.amazon.com/Patriot-16GB...s=3400+ram+16&qid=1561422824&s=gateway&sr=8-1 )
Planning to buy the new Ryzen 3600

The PC will be used mainly for gaming, and some video editing here and there.

What motherboard should I be getting to get most for my buck?

Thank you

Jun 24, 2019
Thanks guys... Bear with me please

Regarding the ASrock B450 Pro 4 (Weird, but this board seems to get a lot of flack online)... Will the Ryzen 3600 work out of the box with it?
I read somewhere that you can only use it if you have already used previous gen ryzen on this motherboard and that thats how you can actually get the bios update for the 3600...

Could someone run me through the process of how I would be able to start my pc with ASrock B450 Pro 4 fresh out of the box and a ryzen 3600.
Is the bios update for it out? Or there will be a waiting time for it... weeks, moths?

Regarding Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO WIFI, I'm looking into it because of the Wifi capabilities it supposedly offer. I have TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter... I wonder if the inbuilt wifi and its antenna on this board would rival or exceed the capabilities of my TP-Link card... As my Wifi signal reception is not the strongest and currently I get no Ethernet cable.

Regarding B450M mortar. Seems like it offers a solution to my first question.So I would be able to get into bios without a CPU even installed and could get a Wifi connection and updates?

Edit:

If push comes to shove, I'm willing to consider a standart pc case and a normal size motherboard if it offers unrivaled opportunities for the price.

Last edited:

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Regarding B450M mortar. Seems like it offers a solution to my first question.So I would be able to get into bios without a CPU even installed and could get a Wifi connection and updates?

As I'm looking into a MB for a friend, I'm curious as well as to this solution - kind of a side-note, but can you point me to the info you found about it being able to update the BIOS without having a CPU installed?

Yes, there is a bios update available for 3rd gen CPUs for the B450 pro 4. It is version 3.20
https://www.asrock.com/MB/AMD/B450 Pro4/index.us.asp#BIOS

Most B450 Pro4 boards on the shelf right now won't have that bios update and would require a 2nd gen cpu to update bios. If the board does have the bios it will be marked at ryzen 3000 ready.

As for the B450M mortar, no you can't get into the bios or anything without CPU. What you can do it put the latest bios file on a USB stick and put it in the motherboard without a cpu. Then press a button on the board and it will flash the bios. Then it will work with 3rd gen CPUs. This is probably your best option.

Jun 24, 2019
Hmmm, if I buy it from amazon, lets say ASrock B450 Pro 4 , do you think its possible to ask them to update the bios as well? And whom should I email? Jeff Bezos?

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Hmmm, if I buy it from amazon, lets say ASrock B450 Pro 4 , do you think its possible to ask them to update the bios as well? And whom should I email? Jeff Bezos?
I doubt Amazon would do it for you, in general I don't know if an etailer would do it. If you have a local brick and mortar computer store near you they might do it for you. If you are buying the mobo from them I'd say there's a good chance they'd do it for free, if you bring in a board you bought somewhere I'm not sure though. they might charge you a fee.

Jun 24, 2019
Looks like I might need to use the Flash BIOS method.

For those who are in similar situation as me, this might help a bit -
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzmjUPF8OIY

Questions on my mind regarding the flash process:

-In what method should my USB stick should be formatted?
- Once I download the bios zip file, I should extract it and remove the original zip file? Just to be clear. In some guides people don't care to explain that you actually need to extract the file before doing the flash. Obvious to some, not so obvious to many.

ON this note... Any other good Motherboard recommendations with the flash bios button?

Thank you

p.s.

Seems like the only brick and mortar near me is Curry's PCworld. Highly unlikely they will do a bios update for me.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Reactions: drea.drechsler
Jun 24, 2019
Hmmmmm, I'm frustrated

So I bought the MSI B450M Mortar

I connect the two power cables from psu.

formated my USB to FAT 32 and added the file from https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450M-MORTAR. Latest bios update there was. (I renamed it MSI.ROM.170, .170 is the extension and I was not able to change it.)
Version
7B89v17

Connected power, added usb stick to the bios flash port and pressed the flash button.

The motherboard flashed three red flashes within 2 seconds. There was nothing else happening.

What am I doing wrong and is my Motherboard a goner now?

In the manual it says the extention must be only msi.rom
So this is undoubtedly the issue. I have heard of users running into issues with file naming aswell causing it to fail.

I have ran into this issue with unchangable extensions, but i dont know how to fix it. Id wait for other people to chime in.

Jun 24, 2019
such an odd issue...

I can delete the extension, by pressing "rename" on the file and just deliting the .170 part, but then it gives me the "if you change a file name extension, the file might become unusable. Are you sure you want to change it?"

Will this destroy the file or am I actually meant to do this?

Last edited: