Bards, Spellcraft and Bluffing

A quick (or not so quick) question about bards and their
spellcasting...

Since bardic magic is unique in that all spells have a verbal component
(i.e. even spells that normally have no verbal component), and since
that verbal component is further unique because it is musical/poetic in
nature (i.e. not the typical verbal component), might it be possible
for a bard to cast spells secretly even when being observed by someone
who makes a successful Spellcraft check, that is, as long as the bard
makes a successful opposed Bluff check to either conceal the casting
altogether (i.e. it was really just music or poetry) or to fool the
observer into thinking a different spell was cast (as long as there are
no obvious effects to the contrary)?

i.hate.spam@hotmail.com wrote:

> Since bardic magic is unique in that all spells have a verbal component
> (i.e. even spells that normally have no verbal component), and since
> that verbal component is further unique because it is musical/poetic in
> nature (i.e. not the typical verbal component), might it be possible
> for a bard to cast spells secretly even when being observed by someone
> who makes a successful Spellcraft check, that is, as long as the bard
> makes a successful opposed Bluff check to either conceal the casting
> altogether (i.e. it was really just music or poetry) or to fool the
> observer into thinking a different spell was cast (as long as there are
> no obvious effects to the contrary)?

From Complete Adventurer:

DISGUISE SPELL [General]
You can cast spells without observers noticing.
Prerequisites: Perform (any) 9 ranks, bardic music.
Benefit: You can cast spells unobtrusively, mingling
verbal and somatic components into your performances.
To disguise a spell, make a Perform check as part of
the action used to cast the spell. Onlookers must
match or exceed your check result with a Spot check to
detect that you're casting a spell (your performance is
obvious to everyone in the vicinity, but the fact that
you are casting a spell isn't). Unless the spell
visibly emanates from you, or observers have some other
means of determining its source, they don't know where
the effect came from. A disguised spell can't be
identified with a Spellcraft check, even by someone who
realizes you're casting a spell. The act of casting
still provokes attacks of opportunity as normal.

-Bluto

KAOS

On 8 Jun 2005 16:11:35 -0700, i.hate.spam@hotmail.com dared speak in
front of ME:

>A quick (or not so quick) question about bards and their
>spellcasting...
>
>Since bardic magic is unique in that all spells have a verbal component
>(i.e. even spells that normally have no verbal component), and since
>that verbal component is further unique because it is musical/poetic in
>nature (i.e. not the typical verbal component), might it be possible
>for a bard to cast spells secretly even when being observed by someone
>who makes a successful Spellcraft check, that is, as long as the bard
>makes a successful opposed Bluff check to either conceal the casting
>altogether (i.e. it was really just music or poetry) or to fool the
>observer into thinking a different spell was cast (as long as there are
>no obvious effects to the contrary)?

I prefer bluffing to make them think a spell had been cast when none
really had been.

That said: it's not official, but Bluff vs Spellcraft to hide the
spell doesn't seem (on first glance) to create any problems, so I'd
allow it - though it would be blown as soon as the effects of the
spell became noticeable.

Not sure how I'd resolve it, though - thoughts include requiring a
concentration check to avoid muddling the real spell.

--
Address no longer works.
try removing all numbers from