Question Bare Bones Setup

May 8, 2022
Hi,

I am starting a project to setup a bare bones mining rig.
I have an ASUS P8H61 motherboard, PSU, old hard drive & monitor.
I have a switch on the power switch pins which when pressed starts the fan but i get no display...

Anything else I need?
I am not sure what son this hard drive yet but I should get something on the monitor, shouldnt i ?

Sounds like you'll be all set then. Just make sure the memory sticks each have at least 16 chips if 8GB sticks, or 8 chips if 4GB, which it should be if it claims compatibility with Sandy Bridge CPUs like yours.

Without memory at best you'd hear a beep error code, and then only if you have a motherboard speaker installed

May 8, 2022
Sounds like you'll be all set then. Just make sure the memory sticks each have at least 16 chips if 8GB sticks, or 8 chips if 4GB, which it should be if it claims compatibility with Sandy Bridge CPUs like yours.

Without memory at best you'd hear a beep error code, and then only if you have a motherboard speaker installed

Will this be ok?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/125250123219?hash=item1d297d35d3:g:oL0AAOSwQJdiUU1R&LH_BIN=1

Was just going to get 2G or do I need min 4G?

Thanks

Nope, that is definitely NOT. It's "registered" server memory which means it has buffers which the memory controller in your CPU does not know how to address. Your CPU requires "unbuffered" memory.

2GB sticks would be fine and should require at least 4 chips on the PCB, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any high-density 2GB sticks anyway.

May 8, 2022
Nope, that is definitely NOT. It's "registered" server memory which means it has buffers which the memory controller in your CPU does not know how to address. Your CPU requires "unbuffered" memory.

2GB sticks would be fine and should require at least 4 chips on the PCB, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any high-density 2GB sticks anyway.

Oh wow ok, cancelled that order. Thank you !

How about this one?
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/234483427948?hash=item36984d2a6c:g:HK8AAOSw-a1gp44m

I have no idea what that seller is selling. The description says M378B5773CH0, the text says HMT325U6CFR8C and the picture says HMT325U7CFR8C (for what it's worth there are reports of all three working fine in Sandy Bridge) and of course it's ECC with non-ECC and 1600 when some of the part numbers indicate 1333.

They do have a 100% positive feedback so likely would make it right.

May 8, 2022
I have no idea what that seller is selling. The description says M378B5773CH0, the text says HMT325U6CFR8C and the picture says HMT325U7CFR8C (for what it's worth there are reports of all three working fine in Sandy Bridge) and of course it's ECC with non-ECC and 1600 when some of the part numbers indicate 1333.

They do have a 100% positive feedback so likely would make it right.

Thank you for your help