Bare metal backup to SSD drive?

jjgurley

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
I have a 2008R2 server that is currently limping along because I had to restore to a single SATA drive rather than my Raid10 HDD array, due to a massive drive failure.

I'd like to do another restore, this time to a Raid1 SSD array. Anyone know if this will work or will it fail to deal with the TRIM issues, etc.?

In my current system, a Raid1 HDD array contans the OS, and the SATA drive contains the "system reserved" partition and SQL data files. It appears the "system Reserved" partition has something to do with booting, since I can't boot to the OS without the SATA drive running - wish it hadn't done that 10 years ago when I built the system.

Raid1 works fine with SSDs. I'd restore to a SINGLE SSD, then convert that single SSD to a RAID1 pair rathe rthan creating the array and restoring over the top of it.

Trim now works with both motherboard raid1 (using intel RST drivers for example) and with windows "Storage Spaces" & win10pro raid 1.

jjgurley

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2015
That's good news, but I'm not sure why you think I should do the SSD in a non-Raid version first. My Raid utility that comes up during boot only allows creation of a blank raid array. Is there a way to do it within the OS or third party s/w that I don't know about?