Question Bare minimum graphics card to output 1440p 180hz?

mrdzin

Honorable
Apr 20, 2016
Just got a new display before i realized my onboard Intel HD 4000 (i7-3770k) can't actually drive it.
It's LG 27GP850 1440p 180hz, what's the cheapest graphics card do i need to utilize that?
I don't play AAA games or do any heavy graphics work on it, just web browsing and Netflix. Occasionally some 2D games like Gungeon and Binding of Isaac. I do have Geforce Now subscription (cloud gaming service) that i use to play demanding 3D games if that matter.

What's the cheapest 2nd-hand graphics card do i need for my case. I tried Google but most suggestions are for gaming. I tried searching for some old graphics card specifications but it's only list the max resolution supported, not the Hz.

Thank you.

I am not aware of any modern graphics card that has a Hz output limitation. So long as a GPU has enough graphical horsepower to output a frame often enough per second, it'll be able to drive a monitor capable of any refresh rate.

If all you want is a GPU capable of displaying a 1440p screen at 180 Hz for everyday productivity tasks, I'd imagine that anything down to a cheap GT 1030 would be capable of doing that.

mrdzin

Honorable
Apr 20, 2016
I am not aware of any modern graphics card that has a Hz output limitation. So long as a GPU has enough graphical horsepower to output a frame often enough per second, it'll be able to drive a monitor capable of any refresh rate.

If all you want is a GPU capable of displaying a 1440p screen at 180 Hz for everyday productivity tasks, I'd imagine that anything down to a cheap GT 1030 would be capable of doing that.
You think a used 1030 at $130 worth it? Or 750 Ti at $90? Reviews said the 750 Ti will perform the same as 1030 in gaming but it's doesn't have a Displayport so idk if HDMI can output 1440p at 180Hz.

I would take a newer card with up-to-date ports over an older one that lacks them any day. Besides, Nvidia has said that it will stop supporting GTX 700-series GPUs in its updated drivers soon.

Also, Displayport 1.4 has a higher throughput than HDMI 2.0.

Skip the 750 Ti, get the GT 1030.

Reactions: dotas1