[SOLVED] Barebone built, first time booting, NO Display, No Beeps

Dec 18, 2018
Hello experts, this has been so frustrating for me, I used to built barebone PC's about 15-20 years back and was an expert but then I changed my filed and came into software. Recently I thought of building a new PC, ordered everything brand new from Newegg, was super exited but when I connected everything, I got no display, no beeps, tried putting the MoBo bare on its box and tried with basics, just 1 DDR4 RAM, 8 and 24 PIN MoBo and CPU connectors and video I used direct VGA onboard, and nothing, its like dead or no POST I can say, FAN on PSU also will not rotate. I checked power supply website and they had documented a small test to check if the PSU is working, I did that (connecting a U pin in 4th and 3rd slots on 24 pin connector, without anything else connected and the FAN rotates which means its working as per the test. I opened a case with ASUS (the Mobo manufacturer) and they asked me to get a replacement if I could, I got a replacement from Newegg (took me 15 days to send and get a replacement), I was so exited, connected the new MoBo, and its exact thing, No DISPLAY, NO BEEPS, no fan movement on PSU, this has been so frustrating, should I get a replacement CPU or power supply or ??? CONFUSED !

Any suggestions please, don't want to wait another 15 days for a replacement and it still won't work

My configuration is as below
Motherboard : ASUS TUF Z390-Plus Gaming (Wi-Fi) LGA 1151 (300 Series)
CPU : Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I78700K
Memory : Team T-Force Vulcan 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3000 (PC4 24000) Memory (Desktop Memory) Model TLRED416G3000HC16CDC01
SSD: SAMSUNG 970 EVO M.2 2280 250GB PCIe Gen3. X4, NVMe 1.3 64L V-NAND 3-bit MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V7E250BW
HDD : Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM006 2TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive
Power Supply Unit (PSU) : Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-550FX 550W 80+ Gold Intel ATX 12V Full Modular 120mm FDB Fan Compact 140 mm Size Power Supply

Solution
"and then tried turning on/off from by the PSU switch directly"
You have to start the board by shorting the 2 pins on the board corresponding to the case power button. Only turning on the power supply is not enough.
Dec 18, 2018

Hi, Thanks for the reply Alexoiu, I had initially connected the case power button to the board, but since it did not give me any POST, I removed the board from the case and unplugged the power and then tried turning on/off from by the PSU switch directly, I even tried flashing the bios by removing the battery and shorting the reset jumper on the board

Dec 18, 2018

I am going to try that, but just wondering, why didn't it work the first time when I connected the case power button jumper? or is the power button connection broken to begin with and caused me all the hassle :(

Dec 18, 2018
Okay, so that worked but after a lot of frustration, the first time I tried, just touching a screw driver between the pins, it started working but then it won't, finally figured out the PSU connector on the mobo had a loose connection which gave me all the hassle and headache, that too I was able to figure by accidentally touching the PSU to Mobo connector, anyways was a good hard learned experience. Many thanks to "alexoiu" for pointing me to the right direction.