barebones PC

Just bought a barebones system and tried to load windows XP (Home), but
system shuts down once the setup disk loads all the drivers as if it were
starting the install process. I have connected everything correctly (i.e. cd
and dvd, hdd, ram, floppy, etc). I know i need to partition the drive, but
can figure out how to create a XP startup floppy that contains the fdisk
command. Can any help? thnkz

If you need help visit the group Help With Computers at
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/Help-With-Computers. They can help
you there.

If you need help visit the group Help With Computers at
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/Help-With-Computers. They can help
you there.

Try bootdisk.com. Get the winME version, and away you go. best wishes..J

"Rich Albright" <usaarich033@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Just bought a barebones system and tried to load windows XP (Home), but
> system shuts down once the setup disk loads all the drivers as if it were
> starting the install process. I have connected everything correctly (i.e.
> cd and dvd, hdd, ram, floppy, etc). I know i need to partition the drive,
> but can figure out how to create a XP startup floppy that contains the
> fdisk command. Can any help? thnkz

You do NOT use a boot floppy to install XP!
In the BIOS of your motherboard you set the computer to boot first from the
CD-ROM. Then just insert the XP installation CD into the machine and boot
up. The installation process will begin automatically.

--
DaveW

"Rich Albright" <usaarich033@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Just bought a barebones system and tried to load windows XP (Home), but
> system shuts down once the setup disk loads all the drivers as if it were
> starting the install process. I have connected everything correctly (i.e.
> cd and dvd, hdd, ram, floppy, etc). I know i need to partition the drive,
> but can figure out how to create a XP startup floppy that contains the
> fdisk command. Can any help? thnkz

Awhile ago I was putting together some random components on my workbench in
my garage and playing around. I was just connecting everything without a
case. I had the same problem you are having and I thought it was heat, but
it turned out I had forgotten to connect the four pin power aux connector
for the cpu. This was a P4 system. You may want to double check all of your
connections.

"Rich Albright" <usaarich033@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> Just bought a barebones system and tried to load windows XP (Home), but
> system shuts down once the setup disk loads all the drivers as if it were
> starting the install process. I have connected everything correctly (i.e.
> cd and dvd, hdd, ram, floppy, etc). I know i need to partition the drive,
> but can figure out how to create a XP startup floppy that contains the
> fdisk command. Can any help? thnkz

First make sure your bios settings are correct.Get in there
and change the video setting to pci\agp and turn plug and play OS to
(no). No sound card or turn it off. No modem or turn it off.No Nic
card or turn it off.Turn them on or install one at a time after
install.

Take out the Dvd and just keep 1 hard drive,1 floppy and the
cd rom for the setup. www.bootdisk.com is the right place for the
floppy as stated earlier.

You should be able to do it from just the cd if it's
bootable.Once it's installed, go back in the bios and change it back
to Pnp OS = yes and change back your video to agp\pci i you have that
cardor onboard. Also turn off anything you are not using, IE: serial
ports,usb.Turn them back on later.

I've built quite a few and have had the same probs.I just keep the
install simple and have had no problems.Sounds like you have a driver
conflict with the mapping on the board.IE: Cpu bus and pci bus. Just
keep the install simple and it should go right in.

Chris

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:27:38 -0400, "Rich Albright"
<usaarich033@adelphia.net> wrote:

>Just bought a barebones system and tried to load windows XP (Home), but
>system shuts down once the setup disk loads all the drivers as if it were
>starting the install process. I have connected everything correctly (i.e. cd
>and dvd, hdd, ram, floppy, etc). I know i need to partition the drive, but
>can figure out how to create a XP startup floppy that contains the fdisk
>command. Can any help? thnkz

Dave Read his post again. It won`t start off the CD..J

> You do NOT use a boot floppy to install XP!
> In the BIOS of your motherboard you set the computer to boot first from
> the CD-ROM. Then just insert the XP installation CD into the machine and
> boot up. The installation process will begin automatically.
>
> --
> DaveW
>

> "Rich Albright" <usaarich033@adelphia.net> wrote in message
>> Just bought a barebones system and tried to load windows XP (Home), but
>> system shuts down once the setup disk loads all the drivers as if it were
>> starting the install process. I have connected everything correctly (i.e.
>> cd and dvd, hdd, ram, floppy, etc). I know i need to partition the drive,
>> but can figure out how to create a XP startup floppy that contains the
>> fdisk command. Can any help? thnkz

After completing the advice below and from other posts, I've downloaded XP
setup disks (form Microsoft) and tried to install once again. The error this
time occurs on disk five, stating that the fastfat.sys is corrupt. Does
anyone have an idea what I did?

thanks.

<cfphillips@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> First make sure your bios settings are correct.Get in there
> and change the video setting to pci\agp and turn plug and play OS to
> (no). No sound card or turn it off. No modem or turn it off.No Nic
> card or turn it off.Turn them on or install one at a time after
> install.
>
> Take out the Dvd and just keep 1 hard drive,1 floppy and the
> cd rom for the setup. www.bootdisk.com is the right place for the
> floppy as stated earlier.
>
> You should be able to do it from just the cd if it's
> bootable.Once it's installed, go back in the bios and change it back
> to Pnp OS = yes and change back your video to agp\pci i you have that
> cardor onboard. Also turn off anything you are not using, IE: serial
> ports,usb.Turn them back on later.
>
> I've built quite a few and have had the same probs.I just keep the
> install simple and have had no problems.Sounds like you have a driver
> conflict with the mapping on the board.IE: Cpu bus and pci bus. Just
> keep the install simple and it should go right in.
>
> Chris
>
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:27:38 -0400, "Rich Albright"
> <usaarich033@adelphia.net> wrote:
>
>>Just bought a barebones system and tried to load windows XP (Home), but
>>system shuts down once the setup disk loads all the drivers as if it were
>>starting the install process. I have connected everything correctly (i.e.
>>cd
>>and dvd, hdd, ram, floppy, etc). I know i need to partition the drive, but
>>can figure out how to create a XP startup floppy that contains the fdisk
>>command. Can any help? thnkz

Possible that the download is corrupt. I would try downloading and creating
the floppies one more time.

Regards.
John O.

"squiggy" <usaarich033@adelphia.net> wrote in message
> After completing the advice below and from other posts, I've downloaded XP
> setup disks (form Microsoft) and tried to install once again. The error
> this time occurs on disk five, stating that the fastfat.sys is corrupt.
> Does anyone have an idea what I did?
>
> thanks.
>
> <cfphillips@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>> First make sure your bios settings are correct.Get in there
>> and change the video setting to pci\agp and turn plug and play OS to
>> (no). No sound card or turn it off. No modem or turn it off.No Nic
>> card or turn it off.Turn them on or install one at a time after
>> install.
>>
>> Take out the Dvd and just keep 1 hard drive,1 floppy and the
>> cd rom for the setup. www.bootdisk.com is the right place for the
>> floppy as stated earlier.
>>
>> You should be able to do it from just the cd if it's
>> bootable.Once it's installed, go back in the bios and change it back
>> to Pnp OS = yes and change back your video to agp\pci i you have that
>> cardor onboard. Also turn off anything you are not using, IE: serial
>> ports,usb.Turn them back on later.
>>
>> I've built quite a few and have had the same probs.I just keep the
>> install simple and have had no problems.Sounds like you have a driver
>> conflict with the mapping on the board.IE: Cpu bus and pci bus. Just
>> keep the install simple and it should go right in.
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 09:27:38 -0400, "Rich Albright"
>> <usaarich033@adelphia.net> wrote:
>>
>>>Just bought a barebones system and tried to load windows XP (Home), but
>>>system shuts down once the setup disk loads all the drivers as if it were
>>>starting the install process. I have connected everything correctly (i.e.
>>>cd
>>>and dvd, hdd, ram, floppy, etc). I know i need to partition the drive,
>>>but
>>>can figure out how to create a XP startup floppy that contains the fdisk
>>>command. Can any help? thnkz

Thanks, I did exactly that. I found six new(er) floppy's and created the
start disks again. I've made it past disk five, but now as soon as disk 6
starts to load my machine shuts off. I have turned everything off as
instructed below and still the machine shuts off (with a wavering beep) at
disk 6. Any ideas?

Rich A.

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 16:19:12 -0700, "DaveW" <none@zero.org>
wrote:

>You do NOT use a boot floppy to install XP!
>In the BIOS of your motherboard you set the computer to boot first from the
>CD-ROM. Then just insert the XP installation CD into the machine and boot
>up. The installation process will begin automatically.

Sure you do, if you choose that route instead of from CD.
XP installs just fine after the system is booted from a
prior windows boot disk (or many others) though it goes a
lot faster if that disk loads Smartdrive too.

Chris, I did as you advised and download the XP setup disk program to create
the six setup disks. However, when I bootup and the disks start to load, my
system shuts down (turns off) when I reach disk 6. Disk 6 contains the
following:
SYSTEM32 (folder) - SMSS.EXE and NTDLL.DLL
DISK106
KBDUS.DLL
SPCMDCON.SYS

Any ideas?