barely uses any ram

chartresgreenman

Honorable
Mar 17, 2013
Im running an 8 core windows 7 pro 64 bit sysstem with 32 gb ram,and a 1gb quadro and use 3d apps like blender/sculptris etc.my question is, why mre of my ram isnt being used during heavy workloads like rendering/animating etc? all 8 cores are running up to 100 percent at times, but ram use never goes over 6 gb.is there a way to configure my system to work more efficiently? and yeah its windows 7 pro, and not using over 6 gb ram, contrary to what was noted above abt windows 7 pro and untimate using up to 192 gb ram.
ty in advance for any help

Shockeray

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2012
Ok, your RAM and your CPU are totally different.
Your CPU is used to do calculations, so using a 3D program, many calculations are needed every split second.
Your RAM is just a storage space for information that your computer may need in the near future. For example, when running a program, all the different formulas that may be needed are loaded onto the RAM, so when the CPU needs to do a calculation, it can instantly take it from the RAM instead of waiting for your HD to spin up and taking the info from where your program was installed.
That's why a SSD is sometimes really good, it's like a huge - slightly slower - RAM, where you can install stuff.
If you install your OS on a SSD, when you turn on your computer, all the information used on start-up can be quickly taken from the SSD, dropping boot times to ~15 seconds.
If you install programs on your SSD, when you start large programs, all the needed information that can fit is loaded onto your RAM, but if the CPU needs something that wasn't on the RAM, it can quickly take it from the SSD. (in your case, you have plenty of RAM, and you wouldn't gain much by getting an SSD)