Bargain Alert: Intel 660p NVMe SSD Will Cost the Same as SATA SSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian_R170

Honorable
Jun 24, 2014
If, like the 600p, it performs about the same as a SATA SSD, then it makes sense that it also costs about the same.

BTW, I've seen multiple 1TB-class SATA SSDs offered for under $150 in the past month. It sure would be nice to see anything NVMe in that range.

If we do some simple mathematics and divide the price by the capacity, it comes down to $0.25 per a gigabyte, which puts it right in the price range of a typical SATA SSD.

Intel hasn't announced the availability of the Intel 660p. Online speculation suggests the SSDs should launch in the second half of this year.
That might be in a similar price range as an 850 Evo, but that's also one of the higher-priced consumer SATA SSDs, and already you can get the competing Crucial MX500 for around $100 ($0.20 per GB), and some of the lesser-performing SATA drives in this capacity range are getting down around $0.16 per GB. By the time this drive is available, SATA SSD prices may have dropped even further, so you'll still likely be paying a premium for NVME, for performance gains that may tend to be largely unnoticeable in most real-world scenarios.

I'm not really convinced that the slightly faster load times of NVMe would be a particularly worthwhile reason for building a new PC. And since M.2 drives just utilize a PCIe 3.0 x4 interface, it's possible to use an adapter card in a spare PCIe slot to install one or more M.2 drives, which can be found for as little as $10-20, though the ability to boot from the drive might depend on the motherboard.

lxtbell2

Honorable
Jun 12, 2018
Never got the idea of those cheap NVMe drives. Under workload their performance is atrocious, and without workload... why buy NVMe at all? (NVMe doesn't speed up simple tasks like booting) So either get a proper PCIe drive like 970 Pro or 900p, or a cheap SATA drive.
Plus it's so expensive. MX500 2TB was selling for $320 on Prime Day.

andyz0976

Prominent
Jun 14, 2017
33% increase of capacity than TLC for the same no. of cells, but what about the actual endurance and sustainable speed once the cache is filled? Storing more and more bits per cell is just irrelevant considering the reduction in endurance and performance, and they aren't exactly half the price of an MLC drive of the same capacity, considering the MLC needs doubled the number of dies.

well my PC is not exactly modern atm.
4th gen i3 and idk motherboards model anymore (but from at least same time frame as cpu)

DrakeFS

Reputable
Aug 11, 2014
I'm not really convinced that the slightly faster load times of NVMe would be a particularly worthwhile reason for building a new PC. And since M.2 drives just utilize a PCIe 3.0 x4 interface, it's possible to use an adapter card in a spare PCIe slot to install one or more M.2 drives, which can be found for as little as $10-20, though the ability to boot from the drive might depend on the motherboard.

NVME drives boot much faster than SATA drives but once inside Windows, I cannot tell the difference. So I agree, it is not worth upgrading a system for SATA to NVME transition (unlike a HDD to SSD transition). The point of NVME would be as a boot drive (for the normal consumer), so a PCIe card would probably not work in an old mobo as a boot drive. I need to get my hands on an Optane drive to see if I can "feel" the difference between that and a SATA SSD.

DavidC1

Distinguished
May 18, 2006
I don't know how you could write an article and still not get this.

For leaks, Eurozone prices always translate 1:1 into dollar. 110 Euros thus mean $110 dollars. It's because of their ridiculous VAT tax.

PC Canada, the site you linked shows the 512GB at $133 CDN, which is $103 USD. I'm pretty sure the 512GB is going to be officially priced at $99.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With nothing but windows 10, my old Samsung 840 Pro would boot up to internet rdy in @8 seconds. With all the additional stuff added over the years, it takes @23 seconds to cold boot to internet rdy. I can live with that considering my old pc, using a hdd, took well over 3 minutes, my wife's pc at work takes right at 9 minutes. Honestly, with a 20+ second boot, any bonuses afforded by NVMe are pretty moot. Of course if I had reason, like large file transfers multiple times a day, every day, then yes, NVMe makes much more sense, but for your average personal use or gaming pc? Blah.

Status
Not open for further replies.