[SOLVED] Barracuda & Skyhawk; Same specs, same price but Skyhawk is much more durable. What's the catch?

Solution
No catch. Different markets require different specs. Barracuda is a consumer drive where they don't have to endure constant reads/writes while security systems (cameras and such) have to endure constant read/writes. So the Skyhawk is designed to be used in those cases. Much like enterprise class drives which are designed for high read/write times.

Its like the WD Blue vs WD Red. Similar scenario. The WD Red is a NAS drive. Blues are a consumer drive. Different uses.
No catch. Different markets require different specs. Barracuda is a consumer drive where they don't have to endure constant reads/writes while security systems (cameras and such) have to endure constant read/writes. So the Skyhawk is designed to be used in those cases. Much like enterprise class drives which are designed for high read/write times.

Its like the WD Blue vs WD Red. Similar scenario. The WD Red is a NAS drive. Blues are a consumer drive. Different uses.

Solution

raeyn

Commendable
Dec 9, 2018

It's for game & storage, prim. games, got another for storage. It's a 7200 Seagate Barracuda. It's passing to storage due to old age. I just have bad experiences with HDDs there are too cheap! The Toshiba X300. Had to return it twice due to absolutely ridiculous temps. Right out of the package, an hour of gaming. The first went straight to 55 C/ 131 F. Returned that one right away & got a new one.
Looked better, stayed at 49 C/120 F for a few days but then went to 53 C/120 F, SMART alert & Crystal Disk warning.
Got my money back then, screw that.
But ofc, that was a 7200 rpm for around $120 dollars. Figured a stable 49C might be the cost at that price, if it had stayed there! Why the hell do they even sell those?

Thing is, it has been quite a few years since I've bought a regular HDD. So, basically I'm not fully aware of what a good HDD are nowadays. I'm on a budget, so I bought a few SSDs and got my dads handdown HDDs. But I've gotten several. They worked for him & he knew they would for me! But were they all regular dekstops? That's what I didn't actually knew & didn't care.

Thank you!:)
I should get the WD Blue

Last edited: