[SOLVED] Base CPU Cooler Fans

jakobee

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
When you buy a CPU cooler, do you have to use the included fans or can you change it out with a different fan. And if you can change it with another fan, is it just a case fan or do you have to use a specific fan? I’m asking because i’m thinking of purchasing a CPU Cooler but the fan included is ARGB but isn’t comparable with my 4 pin 12V rgb header so I need to swap it out with another RGB fan.
And if it is interchangeable, does anyone know any white rgb CPU air cooler fans that connect to a 4 pin 12V rgb header that is controllable by MSI mystic light?

Solution
OP, I'm feeling an undercurrent of not understanding a bit of jargon, so let me clarify IN CASE you have any confusion.

The first fans that included lights in their frames are called LED Fans. In them, there are LED's of ONE colour only mounted in the frame, and they are simply wired in parallel with the fan motor so that they light up whenever the fans gets power. On some of these the lights may dim at low fan speeds, but you really have no control of the lights at all. These fans have only ONE cable from them that plugs into a fan header on the mobo. Such fans have only one colour lighting, but you can get them in different models with Red, Green, Blue, White, etc. colours. The phrase "White LED Fan" usually refers to one of these...

jakobee

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
With a CPU cooler you typically want a "static pressure" fan and not a case/high air flow one.

You could buy a ARGB controller for your case and hook it up that way.
Do you have any white controllable RGB static pressure fans that you would recommend? Also if I got an ARGB controller, what would it plug into? A 12V 4pin RGB header?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
If you buy a third-party ARGB Controller, it will be a box with a 3-pin ARGB output port for plugging in the cable from the lights in your CPU cooler fan. It will need a connection to a SATA or 4-pin Molex power output from the PSU. Some simpler ones come with a small box on a cable that plugs into the Controller and gives you MANUAL buttons to change the light displays. Others can be controlled using the maker's software utility, and that normally also requires a cable connecting the Controller box to a mobo USB2 header for communication between your computer and the Controller.

When choosing the box, pay special attention to the output ports on it. There is one VERY common port arrangement for ARGB lights, but there are also some companies that use their own "non-standard" connectors.

jakobee

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
If you buy a third-party ARGB Controller, it will be a box with a 3-pin ARGB output port for plugging in the cable from the lights in your CPU cooler fan. It will need a connection to a SATA or 4-pin Molex power output from the PSU. Some simpler ones come with a small box on a cable that plugs into the Controller and gives you MANUAL buttons to change the light displays. Others can be controlled using the maker's software utility, and that normally also requires a cable connecting the Controller box to a mobo USB2 header for communication between your computer and the Controller.

When choosing the box, pay special attention to the output ports on it. There is one VERY common port arrangement for ARGB lights, but there are also some companies that use their own "non-standard" connectors.
So will I be able to connect them to a 4pin 12V rgb header? Also do you have any white rgb cpu cooler fans that you could recommend me?

jakobee

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
What cooler are you buying? Listing that along with the motherboard could make this a lot quicker.
I’m getting an MSI B360 Gaming Arctic Motherboard, and I was just planning on buying a Deepcool Gammaxx 400WH bht since it comes with a white fan I wanted to replace the fan with an RGB fan thats controllable by my motherboards MSI mystic light using a 4pin 12V header

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I’m getting an MSI B360 Gaming Arctic Motherboard, and I was just planning on buying a Deepcool Gammaxx 400WH bht since it comes with a white fan I wanted to replace the fan with an RGB fan thats controllable by my motherboards MSI mystic light using a 4pin 12V header
The problem with that is if your not plugging it into the CPU fan header you will get CPU fan error and it will not boot. About the only way around that would be if the fan and LED"s are on a separate plug like a fan plug and a LED plug.

Their could be a BIOS setting to keep from not getting a CPU fan error but I would never enable/disable that.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Don't worry about that item about not plugging in above. Virtually ALL current "plain RGB" fans come with TWO cables. One plugs into the CPU_FAN header to power and control the fan motor. The other plugs into your mobo's plain RGB 4-pin header for power and control of the lights in the fan frame. What you may need to watch for, though, is that some fan makers use a different RGB connector from others and they don't simply plug into a common mobo header. Then you'd need some kind of adapter or some DIY custom wiring changes.

I tried looking for White fans with plain RGB (not ARGB) lights suitable for a CPU cooler - that is, capable of higher pressure operations. I am suprised (you won't be) how difficult a white fan is to find. Good Luck!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There aren't any RGB white/white fans I've ever heard of, and you do have to be very careful in shopping as most companies seem to be absolutely brain-dead as to the difference between RGB and ARGB, which are totally different in setup, design and ability. If you see 'rainbow' affects on any fan, it's ARGB, no matter what the title or label says.

If you must have white/white, Phanteks makes the best for a heatsink. Might save yourself some cash by using a different cooler that comes stock with a white fan and forgo RGB affects as RGB/ARGB kinda suck to start with as far as coolers go. Either that or opt for a simple LED if you are only after 'White light'. If looking for colors, you can use a plain RGB Strip, which is controllable by your motherboard Mystic lighting, and offers superior lighting ability over a few fans.

Or look at the Phanteks Halos, that's Mystic compatible RGB add on lighting to any fan.

jakobee

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
There aren't any RGB white/white fans I've ever heard of, and you do have to be very careful in shopping as most companies seem to be absolutely brain-dead as to the difference between RGB and ARGB, which are totally different in setup, design and ability. If you see 'rainbow' affects on any fan, it's ARGB, no matter what the title or label says.

If you must have white/white, Phanteks makes the best for a heatsink. Might save yourself some cash by using a different cooler that comes stock with a white fan and forgo RGB affects as RGB/ARGB kinda suck to start with as far as coolers go. Either that or opt for a simple LED if you are only after 'White light'. If looking for colors, you can use a plain RGB Strip, which is controllable by your motherboard Mystic lighting, and offers superior lighting ability over a few fans.

Or look at the Phanteks Halos, that's Mystic compatible RGB add on lighting to any fan.
O
Don't worry about that item about not plugging in above. Virtually ALL current "plain RGB" fans come with TWO cables. One plugs into the CPU_FAN header to power and control the fan motor. The other plugs into your mobo's plain RGB 4-pin header for power and control of the lights in the fan frame. What you may need to watch for, though, is that some fan makers use a different RGB connector from others and they don't simply plug into a common mobo header. Then you'd need some kind of adapter or some DIY custom wiring changes.

I tried looking for White fans with plain RGB (not ARGB) lights suitable for a CPU cooler - that is, capable of higher pressure operations. I am suprised (you won't be) how difficult a white fan is to find. Good Luck!
Thank you, and also yeah it’s really tough trying to find a fan that fits my requirements.

jakobee

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
S

So what you’re saying is that I shouldn’t try to go for an rgb, but rather a simple color or maybe like no rgb fan with a phanteks halos? I think i may go with your option instead. Do you know any plain white heat sinks with plain white fans included that don’t have any rgb? I’ll most likely get that and slap on a phanteks halos to make it rgb like you suggested.

Along with that, if I cannot find a white heatsink included with a white fan, do you have any recommendations for all white static pressure fans that can serve as replacements for the included ones?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 White 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler
CPU Cooler: Deepcool NEPTWIN WHITE 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler
CPU Cooler: Alpenföhn Brocken 3 60.62 CFM CPU Cooler
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo White Edition 66.3 CFM CPU Cooler

Those are pure white coolers. Supply and demand has rendered some out of stock, or funky pricing, but with a little patience you should be able to do what you need.

The Halos are grey or black afaik, but some masking tape over the leds and a can of satin white spray paint/vinyl paint will cure that.

jakobee

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC12DX 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 White 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler
CPU Cooler: Deepcool NEPTWIN WHITE 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler
CPU Cooler: Alpenföhn Brocken 3 60.62 CFM CPU Cooler
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Turbo White Edition 66.3 CFM CPU Cooler

Those are pure white coolers. Supply and demand has rendered some out of stock, or funky pricing, but with a little patience you should be able to do what you need.

The Halos are grey or black afaik, but some masking tape over the leds and a can of satin white spray paint/vinyl paint will cure that.
Thanks so much ! So to paint the halos, i just need satin white spray paint can? No primer or anything?
Also i’m planning on getting the deep cool gammaxx 400 white, but wouldn’t the white led on the included fan clash with the rgb fron the halos?
Do you know of any pure white static pressure fans with like no rgb included, just white blades and frame.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Case Fan: EK Vardar F4-120ER 77 CFM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan: Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12 (White) 56 CFM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-DYN-X2-GP12-WTO 52.3 CFM 120 mm Fan

The EK would be my first choice, although it's a rad fan and built for large static pressure, so you may need to tailor a fan curve for it.

The Prolimatech is used mostly in SFF cases, with limited fan clearances, but is still respectable.

The FD is very decent, it's drawback being its not PWM, so won't idle at @ 20% rpm, more like 40%.

jakobee

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
Case Fan: EK Vardar F4-120ER 77 CFM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan: Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 12 (White) 56 CFM 120 mm Fan
Case Fan: Fractal Design FD-FAN-DYN-X2-GP12-WTO 52.3 CFM 120 mm Fan

The EK would be my first choice, although it's a rad fan and built for large static pressure, so you may need to tailor a fan curve for it.

The Prolimatech is used mostly in SFF cases, with limited fan clearances, but is still respectable.

The FD is very decent, it's drawback being its not PWM, so won't idle at @ 20% rpm, more like 40%.
So these would all be optimal to use with a CPU cooler heat sink? If so, i think i’d choose the FD because i’m not very comfortable creating fan curves, unless it’s fairly easy to learn?
As for my question earlier, would the white leds on the original fan clash with any other rgb color such as purple or blue, or would the white led be overpowered by the other colors?
Thanks so much for your help

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OP, I'm feeling an undercurrent of not understanding a bit of jargon, so let me clarify IN CASE you have any confusion.

The first fans that included lights in their frames are called LED Fans. In them, there are LED's of ONE colour only mounted in the frame, and they are simply wired in parallel with the fan motor so that they light up whenever the fans gets power. On some of these the lights may dim at low fan speeds, but you really have no control of the lights at all. These fans have only ONE cable from them that plugs into a fan header on the mobo. Such fans have only one colour lighting, but you can get them in different models with Red, Green, Blue, White, etc. colours. The phrase "White LED Fan" usually refers to one of these with white lights in its frame.

More recently the market has seen LOADS of the new RGB Fans. All of them have LED's of three colours built into their frames, and have a second cable for the lights only that plugs into a different mobo header for lights. (Or, if your mobo does not have one, they can be connected to a third-party RGB Controller.) By varying the current flowing through the LEDs of each of the three colours, the Controller can create a wide variety of colours, brightness and patterns. There are two major different and INcompatible versions of these, plus a number of less-common designs.

The first of the new class was plain RGB systems, which use on the lighting cable a 4-pin connector with a 12 VDC supply of power to the lights. Along a string, all the Red LED's are connected together and controlled by one signal line; all the Greens together on another line, and all the Blues on a third line. A large range of colours and brightness can be created and changed this way, but at any one moment the entire lighting system is one colour.

The more advanced system that followed is called Addressible RGB or ADDR RGB or ARGB. Its cable wiring uses three pins and supplies 5 VDC power, Ground, and a digital signal line. Along the light strip the LED's of the same three colours are arranged in Nodes. Each Node has one LED of those three colours plus a small Control chip with its own unique address. It listens to the Control Line and does with its three LED's only what its data packets tell it. Thus different areas of the light strip can be different colours simultaneously. Photos of these devices often show that off by depicting a rainbow light display, or a sequence of colours chasing along the strip.

OP, in your posts above it is not clear whether you are looking for a white fan chassis with lights in it that can do changing multi-colour displays (or even be set to stay white always) as the new plain RGB or ADDR RGB systems can, OR if you want a white fan frame that also has ONLY white LED's in it that do NOT change over time.

Solution

jakobee

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020

The first fans that included lights in their frames are called LED Fans. In them, there are LED's of ONE colour only mounted in the frame, and they are simply wired in parallel with the fan motor so that they light up whenever the fans gets power. On some of these the lights may dim at low fan speeds, but you really have no control of the lights at all. These fans have only ONE cable from them that plugs into a fan header on the mobo. Such fans have only one colour lighting, but you can get them in different models with Red, Green, Blue, White, etc. colours. The phrase "White LED Fan" usually refers to one of these with white lights in its frame.

More recently the market has seen LOADS of the new RGB Fans. All of them have LED's of three colours built into their frames, and have a second cable for the lights only that plugs into a different mobo header for lights. (Or, if your mobo does not have one, they can be connected to a third-party RGB Controller.) By varying the current flowing through the LEDs of each of the three colours, the Controller can create a wide variety of colours, brightness and patterns. There are two major different and INcompatible versions of these, plus a number of less-common designs.

The first of the new class was plain RGB systems, which use on the lighting cable a 4-pin connector with a 12 VDC supply of power to the lights. Along a string, all the Red LED's are connected together and controlled by one signal line; all the Greens together on another line, and all the Blues on a third line. A large range of colours and brightness can be created and changed this way, but at any one moment the entire lighting system is one colour.

The more advanced system that followed is called Addressible RGB or ADDR RGB or ARGB. Its cable wiring uses three pins and supplies 5 VDC power, Ground, and a digital signal line. Along the light strip the LED's of the same three colours are arranged in Nodes. Each Node has one LED of those three colours plus a small Control chip with its own unique address. It listens to the Control Line and does with its three LED's only what its data packets tell it. Thus different areas of the light strip can be different colours simultaneously. Photos of these devices often show that off by depicting a rainbow light display, or a sequence of colours chasing along the strip.

OP, in your posts above it is not clear whether you are looking for a white fan chassis with lights in it that can do changing multi-colour displays (or even be set to stay white always) as the new plain RGB or ADDR RGB systems can, OR if you want a white fan frame that also has ONLY white LED's in it that do NOT change over time.
At first I wanted a white cpu fan that could change colors, but now i’ve decided that i just want a plain white static fan with no leds at all, white or rgb.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Ah, that will simplify the search.

Arctic has their Model BioniX P120

https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/bionix-p120.html

available in an all-white version as their Item Number ACFAN00116A (see the end of their Technical Data).

Amazon carries it.

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-F120-...words=Arctic+BioniX+120&qid=1594344819&sr=8-1

Of course, that Deepcool Gammaxx 400WH bht CPU cooler you referenced comes with a white LED fan - that is, an transparent fan that includes white LED's in its frame.

NOTE: I changed the last fan description - its frame is not white, but is nearly transparent.

Last edited:

jakobee

Commendable
Apr 20, 2020
Ah, that will simplify the search.

Arctic has their Model BioniX P120

https://www.arctic.ac/us_en/bionix-p120.html

available in an all-white version as their Item Number ACFAN00116A (see the end of their Technical Data).

Amazon carries it.

https://www.amazon.com/ARCTIC-F120-120-Technology-Computer-200-1800/dp/B082VJ7YZ4/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=Arctic+BioniX+120&qid=1594344819&sr=8-1

Of course, that Deepcool Gammaxx 400WH bht CPU cooler you referenced comes with a white LED fan - that is, an all-white fan that includes white LED's in its frame.
So i should get the Deepcoop Gammaxx 400WH and just replace the fan with a different fan?
Also you can confirm that the fan you listed was static pressure?