Base pad for laptop - Plastic or Paper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Hi all,

I know it's not ideal to have plastic or paper as a base for the laptop to stand on and acknowledge that there are laptop stands specifically made but I am just looking for a cheap way to make my laptop stand taller so I used some of these paper packages:
https://prnt.sc/1sb8f18

I was thinking paper sheds overtime, so I decided to put a plastic mat under the laptop sitting on the packages the air doesn't suck in any paper fibers. It looks something like this:
https://prnt.sc/1sb8ipp (not my actual mat I'm using)

Do you think the plastic mat is better than sitting on the paper packages? I used a ruler to see if my laptop had space for airflow and it does.

Use a laptop cooling pad. You can get a cheap one for like €6.

4003cb20d46d19ac1ac87f58ee5f243d.jpg

Reactions: ShangWang

kanewolf

Titan
I see, I'm not very concerned about temperatures but more about the amount of dust being taken in, so I think I will go with my plastic mat for now.
Why do you believe a plastic bag will lower the dust into your laptop? Dust is primarily pulled in from the air, rather than the surface under the laptop. Do you think that a potential static cling for the dust to the plastic bag will be beneficial ?
I would luck at an air purifier near the laptop rather than the surface it is resting on.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
Why do you believe a plastic bag will lower the dust into your laptop? Dust is primarily pulled in from the air, rather than the surface under the laptop. Do you think that a potential static cling for the dust to the plastic bag will be beneficial ?
I would luck at an air purifier near the laptop rather than the surface it is resting on.
I have done my best to clean out my vents and replace the air filter in my apartment building, so I guess that would be sufficient enough.

I am not using a plastic bag rather a mat that is normally used in the kitchen to protect a table from stains.

I'm not looking for other solutions, I would like to know which of these you think are POSSIBLY in any way better than the other.

Also I don't understand how dust could cling to the mat with static as the plastic is an insulating material, do you mind explaining how that works?

If you do not think possible dust from degradation of the paper fiber happens, should I rather not use the plastic mat?

kanewolf

Titan
I have done my best to clean out my vents and replace the air filter in my apartment building, so I guess that would be sufficient enough.

I am not using a plastic bag rather a mat that is normally used in the kitchen to protect a table from stains.

I'm not looking for other solutions, I would like to know which of these you think are POSSIBLY in any way better than the other.

Also I don't understand how dust could cling to the mat with static as the plastic is an insulating material, do you mind explaining how that works?

If you do not think possible dust from degradation of the paper fiber happens, should I rather not use the plastic mat?
A hard, smooth surface is the best thing under a laptop. If this plastic mat meets those requirements, then it should be OK.

ShangWang

Respectable
Mar 26, 2021
A hard, smooth surface is the best thing under a laptop. If this plastic mat meets those requirements, then it should be OK.
Thank you sir, also do you think it would be necessary to wipe the dust off the surface of the mat the laptop is standing on if the air quality is what matters?

Status
Not open for further replies.