[SOLVED] Base Video Card for 144hz 4k

Aleksandar Djuric

Honorable
Oct 25, 2014
I used to have a badass setup for gaming but I ended up selling it because I am currently studying my MBA. Now, I am stuck with a beautiful 4k monitor (ASUS ROG Swift PG43U) which runs at 144hz. So, to keep that beautiful smoothness I am looking for a desktop with a base video card that can support 4k@144hz. I have no clue whether to use DisplayPort 1.4 or HDMI 2.0 and which video cards would support it. I will be doing absolutely no gaming so I do not need a video card that can do amazing things. I just need recommendations for base video cards that support it or, even better, links to desktops that contain base video cards that can support 4k@144hz.

Thank you all for the help in advance !

Solution
Hmm, an odd request. It is a very gaming focused monitor, but if you are just wanting the straight resolution and refresh rate...

GT1030 would do as about the only affordable GPU right now. It typically has HDMI 2.0 ports, some models will also offer DP 1.4 (Since it is a lower end card, they tend to give it HDMI and DVI)

HDMI 1.4 would limit you to 60hz, so Intel integrated graphics like HD620 and HD630 are to be avoided. But the new Intel Xe graphics on the latest 11th gen processors should be okay, so a Laptop or desktop would do.

AMD Ryzen APUs from the most recent generation would also work.

But pretty much any laptop or desktop you can buy with a discrete GPU today (new) will also support the monitor's full resolution and...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hmm, an odd request. It is a very gaming focused monitor, but if you are just wanting the straight resolution and refresh rate...

GT1030 would do as about the only affordable GPU right now. It typically has HDMI 2.0 ports, some models will also offer DP 1.4 (Since it is a lower end card, they tend to give it HDMI and DVI)

HDMI 1.4 would limit you to 60hz, so Intel integrated graphics like HD620 and HD630 are to be avoided. But the new Intel Xe graphics on the latest 11th gen processors should be okay, so a Laptop or desktop would do.

AMD Ryzen APUs from the most recent generation would also work.

But pretty much any laptop or desktop you can buy with a discrete GPU today (new) will also support the monitor's full resolution and refresh rate. Many used models with Nvidia 10 or 20 series, or AMD RX model cards will also work.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

Aleksandar Djuric

Honorable
Oct 25, 2014
Thank you for the reply, gentlemen. Also, that's the problem I have with video cards. At $770 the 1660ti is amazing but at the same time the 2080 is only a bit more and the 3060 slightly more and next thing you know I am back to a 3090 and gaming again.

That's why it is important that the video card cannot handle gaming at all, rather just maintain the nice 144hz @4k feature.

I will take a look at the 1030. Thank you for the recommendations !

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Or hit up any Dell/Lenovo/HP/ASUS etc website and pick out a new desktop. As I said, recent integrated graphics will have no issues running a 4K 144hz panel for general purposes. And anything they sell with a GPU should as well, baring possibly some of the MX Nvidia graphics cards.

1660Ti is 'amazing' only in that it is no longer in production, and every relatively inexpensive GPU has been bought already. Nvidia is re-releasing new RTX 2060 here shortly. Demand is so high, that even an older card is desired. Also some hints they'll reach back to 10 series and bring back the 1050 Ti (or at least re-release it in the US, pretty sure they never stopped selling it and derivatives in Asia)

Reactions: Phaaze88