News Basemark Breaking Limit benchmark tests ray traced gaming performance across diverse platforms — Windows, Linux, iOS, and Android

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
They deserve credit for officially supporting Linux.

Rumor has it that 3DMark supports Linux (or, at least some iterations of 3DMark do), but they don't release this because it has only a commandline interface and no GUI. Congrats to BaseMark for getting there first!

Last edited:
Reactions: TheyCallMeContra
Article: "Those hoping for a more diverse pool of cross-platform benchmarking tools will be pleased to hear that Passmark, through its GPUScore division, has announced a new ray tracing (RT) benchmark dubbed Breaking Limit.

Now, while Passmark claims this to be the first "true" cross-platform ray tracing benchmark for whatever reason"

This isn't Passmark's benchmark. It is from BASEMARK.

Artcile: "first true cross-platform ray tracing benchmark"

Can you show me where does the company claim their benchmark to be the FIRST true cross-platform benchmark ? I couldn't find this info.

Here they just state this. There is no mention of the word "first":

"Breaking Limit is our most demanding ray tracing benchmark for mobile and PC. Breaking Limit is a true cross-platform solution, enabling effortless comparison of performance"

Last edited:

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
PassMark has nothing to do with this. This is Basemark's benchmark.

Yeah, I saw your comment and had already fixed my post. I assumed the article had it right. I suppose I should know better, eh?
; )

Reactions: Metal Messiah.
Nov 3, 2023
This isn't Passmark's benchmark. It is from BASEMARK.

Can you show me where does the company claim their benchmark to be the FIRST true cross-platform benchmark ? I couldn't find this info.

Here they just state this. There is no mention of the word "first":

"Breaking Limit is our most demanding ray tracing benchmark for mobile and PC. Breaking Limit is a true cross-platform solution, enabling effortless comparison of performance"

Got it correct in the title, wrong in the article, my bad. Submitting the edit soon.

Also I swear it said "first true" when I was typing this, but YMMV. I was obviously confused enough by what I saw to double-check for the existence of other "true" cross-platform RT benchmarks. If that's no longer on the live page (which is curiously not loading for me as we speak), I'll make the appropriate edits.

Comment Edit: Page now loads in another browser, and the page is still claiming this to be "The True Cross-Platform Ray Tracing Benchmark", which still sounds like misleading marketing to me.

Reactions: bit_user
Nov 3, 2023
Thanks for following up! We appreciate your diligence!

"To err is human; to revise is divine." ...or something like that?
: )

Certainly not divine, but I do try to keep myself as accountable to reader feedback as is reasonable, especially when I make errors like this. I'm grateful to have watchful eyes in the community and on the team alike to keep me accountable as I continue to develop Newsman-ship. (I mostly wrote Guides before starting here, and had way more direct access to editing pipeline and etc.)

Reactions: bit_user