News Basemark's Cross-Platform GPU Test: iPhone 14 Pro Beats Steam Deck

PlaneInTheSky

Commendable
BANNED
Oct 3, 2022
Steam should have gone with ARM.

I realise that would cause compatibility issues and it would require getting developers on board to make x86-ARM translations....and it would require a JIT x86-ARM translation layer like Apple's Rosetta for games that aren't ported to ARM....

...BUT...it would have made the Steam Deck so much more energy efficient.

The reason I am not getting a Steam Deck is just the bulk, the power consumption, even the noise from my friend's Steam Deck next to me started to actually bother me after a while.

Last edited:

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
I have a hard time believing the iPhone 14 gpu is better all around though. Is it just in specific benchmarks? And how do you compare scores from 2 different systems?

Bamda

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2017
Steam should have gone with ARM.

I realise that would cause compatibility issues and it would require getting developers on board to make x86-ARM translations....and it would require a JIT x86-ARM translation layer like Apple's Rosetta for games that aren't ported to ARM....

...BUT...it would have made the Steam Deck so much more energy efficient.

The reason I am not getting a Steam Deck is just the bulk, the power consumption, even the noise from my friend's Steam Deck next to me started to actually bother me after a while.

LOL!!

Bamda

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2017
I have a hard time believing the iPhone 14 gpu is better all around though. Is it just in specific benchmarks? And how do you compare scores from 2 different systems?
Take it with a grain of salt. Benchmarks can be made to favor one CPU/GPU. Just like games, some run faster on different hardware. So the only thing you can do is look at multiple benchmarks and since there are none then this is pointless to even consider these results.

Reactions: gg83

gg83

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2015
Take it with a grain of salt. Benchmarks can be made to favor one CPU/GPU. Just like games, some run faster on different hardware. So the only thing you can do is look at multiple benchmarks and since there are none then this is pointless to even consider these results.
Exactly my thought

anticeon

Distinguished
May 22, 2014
Isn't obvious ?
ARM will win the race.
i bet Nvidia and AMD already developed ARM based GPU for the next decade