Basic back up quesion

debbieyoungart

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016
I'm a mac user with seagate external HD. I've recently thinned out my photo files on my mac and want to back up the computer to the HD. My previous back up included many photos that I no longer want but they are on the external HD from the previous back up. Will those photos remain on the HD even though my next back up of the mac doesn't include them since I deleted them? Basic question is when I back up, it does not toss the photos from the external HD that are not now on the computer. Hard to explain, hope someone understands. Thanks.

Solution
This depends on exactly how you did the backup and what you set the options to. You can tell the backup software to either keep the old backups, add on any changes to it or replace the existing backup with the new one.
Exactly what hang-the-9 said. Also, what are you backing up? Your data or your system (i.e. a system image)? Also, do you know how to create a partition? You can create separate partitions on an external hard drive to store different things.

Like hang-the-9 said, you can control what to back up and what not to. Create a plan and create a good course of action and you will be able to accomplish exactly what you want.

debbieyoungart

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016

I don't even know how to reply properly, but thanks for the help!

debbieyoungart

Commendable
Oct 15, 2016

Good info on the partitions, will have to poke around and get to know my hard drive, Luddite that I am.