Basic Cabling Question for Home Recording Studio

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurence Payne wrote:

> On 12 Sep 2004 16:34:09 GMT, scotfraser@aol.com (ScotFraser) wrote:
>

>>While not disputing that the US is indeed a backward nation, grounded power has
>>been required in all aplications for many decades. Electrical code in the US is
>>a matter of local jurisdiction, although they all tend to update to
>>approximately the same level of safety considerations en masse.
>

> Are 3-prong power plugs the norm?

I'd have to say neither is the norma. There is a lot of both.

For instance, devices that use a "brick" transformer that plugs directly
into the outlet don't usually have a ground. It wouldn't help you much
anyway, since the only thing coming out is low-voltage DC. This gives
you the extra flexibility to rotate the annoying transformer 180 degrees
(assuming the blades of the plug are symmetrical; they are not always,
but they can be) so as to possibly not block the other receptacle that
you're not using.

Virtually all computer equipment (except stuff with wall wart transformers)
uses a three-prong plug. Virtually everything you might use outdoors
has a three-prong plug. Most tools are three-prong, but not all.

Most lamps are two-prong, but polarized (meaning the plug can only go
in one way, since one blade of the plug is wider). Televisions and
home stereo equipment tend to be two-prong polarized. Pro audio
equipment tends to be three-prong.

Newer things are more likely to be three-prong. Wall warts are about
the only thing made anymore that I know of which is two prong and
not polarized.

- Logan

<< Are 3-prong power plugs the norm? >>

The norm? Heck, it's the law!

Scott Fraser

On 12 Sep 2004 22:52:09 -0700, mbyoungquist@hotmail.com (Matt from
Seattle) wrote:

> Do you get hum with the (previously unmentioned) guitar amplifier
>> disconnected from your computer?
>
>Yes. In the most basic setup I've tried, I'm simply plugging the
>guitar into the amplifier, which is plugged into the wall. No mixers,
>computers, or other components are part of the signal chain -- and the
>hum still occurs.

Cool. And just to be perfectly clear, there are no wires between
the guitar amp and the mixer. Literally, none. Right?

Believe me; I do have good reason to ask.

Chris Hornbeck

> Cool. And just to be perfectly clear, there are no wires between
> the guitar amp and the mixer. Literally, none. Right?

Nope, no other connections at all. Just the guitar, cable, and amp.
I still get the same loud buzzing/humming sound (similar to the noise
you get when you accidentally unplug your guitar from the amp without
killing the power) and it stops (almost totally) when I touch my
finger either of the metal jacks on the end of the cable.

What's your hypothesis?

On 12 Sep 2004 14:06:34 -0700, mbyoungquist@hotmail.com (Matt from
Seattle) wrote:

>Thanks again, everybody. Let me know if there are any final thoughts
>or tests that I might perform at home -- I probably won't be taking
>the guitar in for a few days still...

Hook a temporary length of lightweight cable from the strings to the
outer case of the jack plug. If this makes no difference, hook it
to a known grounded item of gear. Can you lose the hum this way?

"Mike Rivers" = Grand Poobah of Parrot Poop

Phil Allison

> > ** Go tell Fender, Gibson, Rickenbacker, Gretsch and dozens of other
> > makers your ideas.
> >
> > They all ground the strings and there is more hum when the player
lifts
> > has his hand off them.
>
> > That is the way things are.
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>

> I'll take that as concurrence with my original statement that I'm
> surprised that electric guitars work as well as they do.

** Mike has no idea he is describing himself.

He is the surprised one - because he is pig so ignorant.

> Ciricular logic.....

** The parrots forte.

............. Phil

In article <ad2fa77a.0409130945.2d5c8022@posting.google.com>,
Matt from Seattle <mbyoungquist@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Cool. And just to be perfectly clear, there are no wires between
>> the guitar amp and the mixer. Literally, none. Right?
>
>Nope, no other connections at all. Just the guitar, cable, and amp.
>I still get the same loud buzzing/humming sound (similar to the noise
>you get when you accidentally unplug your guitar from the amp without
>killing the power) and it stops (almost totally) when I touch my
>finger either of the metal jacks on the end of the cable.
>
>What's your hypothesis?

You have a ground problem, in that something is not grounded that should be.
Probably an internal problem on the guitar.
--scott

"Matt from Seattle" <mbyoungquist@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> Yes. In the most basic setup I've tried, I'm simply plugging the
> guitar into the amplifier, which is plugged into the wall. No mixers,
> computers, or other components are part of the signal chain -- and the
> hum still occurs. I've ruled out a bad cable as a possibility, and
> the amp does just fine with my other guitar, so it sounds like my
> Guild guitar pickup is the root of the problem as most people have
> already suggested.

Either the pickup, or the internal preamp -- sounds like there's a bad
connection someplace inside the instrument. In either case, yes, it's time
to take it into the shop.

Peace,
Paul