Basic hardware requirements for Mac?

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

I'm a newbie, please be gentle....

I'd like to do some reasonably good quality video and multimedia
editing, which I plan to eventually burn to DVD. (I'm a college
instructor, and would like to make certain videos and lessons
available to my students.)

Currently, I have a Macintosh dual 1.25mhz G4. What else will I need
to get things up to speed? I assume I'll need a VCR (I've got lots of
stuff on VHS) and I'll need to upgrade my CD-RW to a DVD burner. Not
sure what else... a video capture card card? Do I need to get a
digital VCR? Etc....

Is there a quick overview for people like me?

Thanks, in advance! -Cloy

cloy@tobola.com (Cloy Tobola) wrote in message news:<bd11c9dd.0404261802.32336a54@posting.google.com>...
> I'm a newbie, please be gentle....
>
> I'd like to do some reasonably good quality video and multimedia
> editing, which I plan to eventually burn to DVD. (I'm a college
> instructor, and would like to make certain videos and lessons
> available to my students.)
>
> Currently, I have a Macintosh dual 1.25mhz G4. What else will I need
> to get things up to speed? I assume I'll need a VCR (I've got lots of
> stuff on VHS) and I'll need to upgrade my CD-RW to a DVD burner. Not
> sure what else... a video capture card card? Do I need to get a
> digital VCR? Etc....
>
> Is there a quick overview for people like me?
>
> Thanks, in advance! -Cloy

Cloy, all you need is a analogue-DV converter, such as the Dazzle
Hollywood DV bridge, one of the the Canopus ADVC range or the ADS Pyro
A/V link or something similar. These small boxes - somewhere between a
pack of cigarettes and a VHS cassette in size - will let you plug you
VHS analogue in one side and take out a firewire line out to the Mac's
FireWire input. There's no hardware setup necessary inside the mac.

The DV converter will take a signal from any VHS with composite/line
out sockets or S-Video (only RF is no good). You don't need a
"digital" VHS player, even the cheapest current VHS player will have
the correct outputs.

You can use iMovie to capture to the hard drive and iDVD to burn the
DVDs - you can get them both with the iLife package.

The only part to be careful is upgrading your DVD drive as Macs will
not work with all off the shelf DVD burner drives. You may have to
mail order from Macwarehouse to make sure you get something
compatible, though actually installing the thing is a doddle.

Hope this helps

Dylan

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

i ditch the 1.25mhz macintosh, and get yourself an IBM 286 .....

In article <408dc94d$0$29255$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>, jeremy
wrinklebottom <jeremy@wrinkle.bottom> wrote:

> i ditch the 1.25mhz macintosh, and get yourself an IBM 286 .....
> "Cloy Tobola" <cloy@tobola.com> wrote in message
> > I'm a newbie, please be gentle....
> >
> > I'd like to do some reasonably good quality video and multimedia
> > editing, which I plan to eventually burn to DVD. (I'm a college
> > instructor, and would like to make certain videos and lessons
> > available to my students.)
> >
> > Currently, I have a Macintosh dual 1.25mhz G4. What else will I need
> > to get things up to speed? I assume I'll need a VCR (I've got lots of
> > stuff on VHS) and I'll need to upgrade my CD-RW to a DVD burner. Not
> > sure what else... a video capture card card? Do I need to get a
> > digital VCR? Etc....
> >
> > Is there a quick overview for people like me?
> >
> > Thanks, in advance! -Cloy

Cloy,
Go over to alt.binaries.mac.osx.apps and ask for your info there. They
will be glad to help. Your mac dual will do what you need just fine.
Some people in this group think it is just for pcers only.
ZippyZ

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

maybe some sort of converter, (like canopus)
analogue video in firewire out (into your mac),
i know in windows this can work like a dv camcorder....
i guess you are limited to what you can add to your mac ,
internally?
but vhs will need some sort of analogue input ....
maybe there are some "macheads" out there , somewhere...
dvd recorder? maybe ?
can they take video and audio rca's in ?
surely "rf " in....
there are some good forums out there you can read up on....
here is a starting
point....http://www.larrysworld.com/articles/lat_videotape.htm

In article <4ce64329.0404270023.38d89b8c@posting.google.com>,
dylanpank@hotmail.com (dylan_j) wrote:

> cloy@tobola.com (Cloy Tobola) wrote in message
> > I'm a newbie, please be gentle....
> >
> > I'd like to do some reasonably good quality video and multimedia
> > editing, which I plan to eventually burn to DVD. (I'm a college
> > instructor, and would like to make certain videos and lessons
> > available to my students.)
> >
> > Currently, I have a Macintosh dual 1.25mhz G4. What else will I need
> > to get things up to speed? I assume I'll need a VCR (I've got lots of
> > stuff on VHS) and I'll need to upgrade my CD-RW to a DVD burner. Not
> > sure what else... a video capture card card? Do I need to get a
> > digital VCR? Etc....
> >
> > Is there a quick overview for people like me?
> >
> > Thanks, in advance! -Cloy
>
> Cloy, all you need is a analogue-DV converter, such as the Dazzle
> Hollywood DV bridge, one of the the Canopus ADVC range or the ADS Pyro
> A/V link or something similar. These small boxes - somewhere between a
> pack of cigarettes and a VHS cassette in size - will let you plug you
> VHS analogue in one side and take out a firewire line out to the Mac's
> FireWire input. There's no hardware setup necessary inside the mac.
>
> The DV converter will take a signal from any VHS with composite/line
> out sockets or S-Video (only RF is no good). You don't need a
> "digital" VHS player, even the cheapest current VHS player will have
> the correct outputs.
>
> You can use iMovie to capture to the hard drive and iDVD to burn the
> DVDs - you can get them both with the iLife package.
>
> The only part to be careful is upgrading your DVD drive as Macs will
> not work with all off the shelf DVD burner drives. You may have to
> mail order from Macwarehouse to make sure you get something
> compatible, though actually installing the thing is a doddle.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Dylan

Many miniDV camcorders will perform the analog-digital conversion. This
feature may be referred to as "video pass-through mode". My Canon ZR 40
can do this, for example.

You can find some good information for Mac digital video hardware and
software on the MacDV e-mail list hosted at
<http://www.themacintoshguy.com>.

--
Gordon Alley <*>
<mailto:galley@texas.net>