I was thinking bout this, for starting out lets see; for weap.s 9mm, shot
gun(but lets try some different loads, mayhap rocksalt, buckshot, and slugs)
anyother weaps ought to be found or, mission specific(selected off camera as
it were). rope(25-50 foot), flashlight(hand torch) and mayhap a couple of
med kits. thoughts?
rex

=>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "Rex Reynolds"
warbled on about "Basic kit... " in alt.games.tombraider <<=

> I was thinking bout this, for starting out lets see; for weap.s 9mm, shot
> gun(but lets try some different loads, mayhap rocksalt, buckshot, and slugs)
> anyother weaps ought to be found or, mission specific(selected off camera as
> it were). rope(25-50 foot), flashlight(hand torch) and mayhap a couple of
> med kits. thoughts?

Oh boy, like a red rag in front of a bull... :)

Suggested new weapons:
* flamethrower
* claymore mines (for setting booby traps)
* knife/sword/scimitar/claymore/falchion/rapier/machete
* quarterstaff/longbow/bo-stick/staff-sling
* low-tech booby traps of the triprope and spike-pit type stuff
* tracer bullets (for night work)
* hand grenades (coloured smoke, HE, tear gas)
* chakram (very Xenaesque) or shuriken
* an Eludium Pu-36 Explosive Space Modulator
* .50 cal sniper rifle
* H&K G11 assault rifle (the caseless ammo gun)
* AK47 (or derivative)
* FN P90/Bizon
* FN FAL/M14/HK G3
* FN Minimi light machine gun (aka M249 SAW)
* musketry (matchlock, flintlock, pistol, rifle, whatever)
* a whip (you know... like whatzisname)
* long range sniper rifle (e.g., PSG-1, L96A1, WA2000)
* stun grenades
* RPG7 rocket launcher
* dehydrated sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads.
Just add water to use...
* rottweiler for chewing on all those smaller creatures you can't be
bothered shooting
* metal weights in the end of her ponytail so she can use it like a
morningstar
* spud gun.

Suggested new equipment:
* rope and grappling hook (A MUST!!)
* flashlight...
* bring back the glowsticks/flares -- but have them last for the 6 hours
that they should do and not burn out after 30 sec...
* bring back the flares, but add multicoloured variations
* night vision goggles/thermal sighting system for the guns
* bring back the binoculars (or a spyglass)
* laser dot sight (that kind that produces a bright red line to whatever
she's aiming at)
* bulletproof vest/bodyarmour (for the extra tough shootouts)
* scuba gear (for use on a totally underwater level?)
* lockpicks or skeleton keys
* some various disguises (even of the groucho marx glasses/moustache
type?)
* ice pick and mountaineering gear
* ball of string (for exploring Minotaur-infested labyrinths)
* more use of maps/documents (see above)
* chalk for marking walls
* wire cutters (see 'fences' above)
* sextant/astrolabe
* GPS finder
* separate the medpaks into differing functions: 1 type cures poison,
another heals, one prevents Lara catching a wasting disease, another
cures athletes foot, etc (pinched directly from Infernal Indy)
* rollerblades
* flare gun; mainly for effecting rescues/lighting large areas, but
which can also be used as an anti-personnel weapon on some of those
persistantly bullet resistant zombie-type monsters
* sunglasses for those extra-bright outdoor areas
* a net; to tangle up enemies (like the Roman retarii gladitors)
* electronic hacking device (as seen in AvP2) and/or laptop
* flame-proof clothing
* shampoo; because trekking through these slime laden cisterns, tombs
and jungles has got to be hell on the ponytail
* banana-skin trap placement (stolen directly from NOLF2)
* RPV for scouting out areas ahead
* ipod for the tunez... with level where she must dodge hordes of greedy
copyright attoneys lunging at here out of the darknes

--
I've seen things you newbies wouldn't believe. Advert-spammers aflame
off the shoulder of rec.arts.sf.written. I watched Cancel posts glitter

I *KNOW* it's "only a game" snark^ ... BUT ...

"snark^" <snarkamedes@tulgeywook.org> wrote in message
> =>> The runes were cast, the portents thundered and then "Rex
> Reynolds" warbled on about "Basic kit... " in alt.games.tombraider
> <<=
>
>> I was thinking bout this, for starting out lets see; for weap.s 9mm,
>> shot gun(but lets try some different loads, mayhap rocksalt,
>> buckshot, and slugs) anyother weaps ought to be found or, mission
>> specific(selected off camera as it were). rope(25-50 foot),
>> flashlight(hand torch) and mayhap a couple of med kits. thoughts?
>

> Oh boy, like a red rag in front of a bull... :)

> * tracer bullets (for night work)
yep, you can see where your rounds are going. Every 5th or 7th round
say. Good for daylight too! Only drawback is that yes, you can see
where your bullets are going, and your target can see where they are
coming from :) Not really good for sniping, when you don't want your
location known.

> * an Eludium Pu-36 Explosive Space Modulator
Don't forget Marvin! Can't forget Marvin! He might just turn out to be
Laras greatest love interest! :)

> * .50 cal sniper rifle
Lara is a tough and athletic gal, I'll give her that. But even with a
good muzzle brake, I gotta wonder if she could hang onto it when firing
it!
http://www.freshourmfg.com/gunbuild/p50/index.html
here you can see the designer himself, Robert Pauza, shooting one of his
creations :) Small movies.
the .50 sport and target shooting has increased a LOT in recent years.
Yes, a good "light 50" is an excellent LONG range weapon. Would have
been very useful in TR2 with the Yeti! You forgot something that goes
quite well with having some 'range' to deal with. An optical
rangefinder!

Ah, that was fun :)
McG.

There I was, minding my own business, when snark^ said...

> * bring back the flares, but add multicoloured variations

Oh yeah! I'm digging that idea! Some red ones, some green ones, some blue
ones....that be ace! Especially if they were kinda random.

You know...just on a whole pretty colours kinda deal :)

> * bring back the binoculars (or a spyglass)

An absolute must.

> * chalk for marking walls

That would be good. Oh yes!

Duncan

"Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> There I was, minding my own business, when snark^ said...
>

>> * bring back the flares, but add multicoloured variations
>
> Oh yeah! I'm digging that idea! Some red ones, some green ones, some
> blue ones....that be ace! Especially if they were kinda random.
>
> You know...just on a whole pretty colours kinda deal :)
>
>> * bring back the binoculars (or a spyglass)
>
> An absolute must.
>

>> * chalk for marking walls
>
> That would be good. Oh yes!
>
> Duncan

Oh how did I miss chalk for marking things?!?
McG.

McGrandpa wrote:

> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> > There I was, minding my own business, when snark^ said...
> >

> >> * bring back the flares, but add multicoloured variations
> >
> > Oh yeah! I'm digging that idea! Some red ones, some green ones, some
> > blue ones....that be ace! Especially if they were kinda random.
> >
> > You know...just on a whole pretty colours kinda deal :)
> >
> >> * bring back the binoculars (or a spyglass)
> >
> > An absolute must.
> >

> >> * chalk for marking walls
> >
> > That would be good. Oh yes!
> >
> > Duncan
>
> Oh how did I miss chalk for marking things?!?
> McG.

That really is a wonderful idea, especially in the more maze-like
areas. Something like that shouldn't be too tough to program.

And along those same lines, I've always wished gun fire would
leave marks. Also, Lara should be able to drop something and
have it be visible, (like leaving bread crumbs). If it's ammo
or medi-packs, they wouldn't have to come up with anything new,
they already have a mechanism for those items laying around.

-- G

Thunderchief typed:
>> * bring back the binoculars (or a spyglass)
>
> An absolute must.

Well, the new Lara looks to have a pair of binoculars on her
belt. ;)

(So there, we got at least 1 of 50 suggestions. ;D)

Me, I want the sunglasses. She'd look so cool running around
levels with them amber sunglasses (from TR2 cutscene) - and
when she takes them off, she could hang them on her... er, in
between her... er, on her shirt. ;)

--
};> Matt v3.2 <.{

There I was, minding my own business, when mec'devil said...

> Thunderchief typed:
>>> * bring back the binoculars (or a spyglass)
>>
>> An absolute must.
>
> Well, the new Lara looks to have a pair of binoculars on her
> belt. ;)
>
> (So there, we got at least 1 of 50 suggestions. ;D)
>
> Me, I want the sunglasses. She'd look so cool running around
> levels with them amber sunglasses (from TR2 cutscene) - and
> when she takes them off, she could hang them on her... er, in
> between her... er, on her shirt. ;)

With special FMV of her doing so?? ;-)

DUncan

"Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
> McGrandpa wrote:
>>
>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> There I was, minding my own business, when snark^ said...

>>> Oh yeah! I'm digging that idea! Some red ones, some green ones, some
>>> blue ones....that be ace! Especially if they were kinda random.
>>>
>>> You know...just on a whole pretty colours kinda deal :)

>>> An absolute must.

>>> That would be good. Oh yes!
>>>
>>> Duncan
>>
>> Oh how did I miss chalk for marking things?!?
>> McG.
>
> That really is a wonderful idea, especially in the more maze-like
> areas. Something like that shouldn't be too tough to program.
>
> And along those same lines, I've always wished gun fire would
> leave marks. Also, Lara should be able to drop something and
> have it be visible, (like leaving bread crumbs). If it's ammo
> or medi-packs, they wouldn't have to come up with anything new,
> they already have a mechanism for those items laying around.
>
> -- G

In the FPS types of games, you do get bullet pocks. They fade though
after a while. Like if you leave the area and come back later, the wall
will be cleared up. But you can sit and write your name with bullets
in most later games like Far Cry, Halo, HL2 etc.
McG.

There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...

> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message
>> McGrandpa wrote:
>>>
>>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Oh how did I miss chalk for marking things?!?
>>> McG.
>>
>> That really is a wonderful idea, especially in the more maze-like
>> areas. Something like that shouldn't be too tough to program.
>>
>> And along those same lines, I've always wished gun fire would
>> leave marks. Also, Lara should be able to drop something and
>> have it be visible, (like leaving bread crumbs). If it's ammo
>> or medi-packs, they wouldn't have to come up with anything new,
>> they already have a mechanism for those items laying around.
>>
>> -- G
>
> In the FPS types of games, you do get bullet pocks. They fade though
> after a while. Like if you leave the area and come back later, the
> wall will be cleared up. But you can sit and write your name with
> bullets in most later games like Far Cry, Halo, HL2 etc.

And way, way, way back in Duke Nukem days, too!

> There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...
>
>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> That really is a wonderful idea, especially in the more maze-like
>>> areas. Something like that shouldn't be too tough to program.
>>>
>>> And along those same lines, I've always wished gun fire would
>>> leave marks. Also, Lara should be able to drop something and
>>> have it be visible, (like leaving bread crumbs). If it's ammo
>>> or medi-packs, they wouldn't have to come up with anything new,
>>> they already have a mechanism for those items laying around.
>>>
>>> -- G
>>
>> In the FPS types of games, you do get bullet pocks. They fade though
>> after a while. Like if you leave the area and come back later, the
>> wall will be cleared up. But you can sit and write your name with
>> bullets in most later games like Far Cry, Halo, HL2 etc.
>
> And way, way, way back in Duke Nukem days, too!
>

>> McG.
>
> Duncan

It's been a *LONG* time since I played through that game. I might try
to install and run it again :)
McG.

There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...

> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> There I was, minding my own business, when McGrandpa said...
>>
>>> "Gary Mitchell" <wb6yru@ix.nospam.netcom.com> wrote in message

>>> In the FPS types of games, you do get bullet pocks. They fade
>>> though after a while. Like if you leave the area and come back
>>> later, the wall will be cleared up. But you can sit and write
>>> your name with bullets in most later games like Far Cry, Halo, HL2
>>> etc.
>>
>> And way, way, way back in Duke Nukem days, too!
>>

>>> McG.
>>
>> Duncan
>
> It's been a *LONG* time since I played through that game. I might try
> to install and run it again :)

I have to be careful playing that one. I end up, IRL, eyeing up grilles on
the end of ventilation ducts wondering if I can fit in there, and if maybe
theres some gun or health hidden in it ;-)

> McG.

Duncan

"Thunderchief"
snip
>>> And way, way, way back in Duke Nukem days, too!

>>> Duncan
>>
>> It's been a *LONG* time since I played through that game. I might
>> try to install and run it again :)
>
> I have to be careful playing that one. I end up, IRL, eyeing up
> grilles on the end of ventilation ducts wondering if I can fit in
> there, and if maybe theres some gun or health hidden in it ;-)
>

>> McG.
>
> Duncan

ha! That's the problem with getting really immersed in a game :)
McG.

> There I was, minding my own business, when mec'devil said...
>
>> Thunderchief typed:
>>>
>>> An absolute must.
>>
>> Well, the new Lara looks to have a pair of binoculars on her
>> belt. ;)
>>
>> (So there, we got at least 1 of 50 suggestions. ;D)
>>
>> Me, I want the sunglasses. She'd look so cool running around
>> levels with them amber sunglasses (from TR2 cutscene) - and
>> when she takes them off, she could hang them on her... er, in
>> between her... er, on her shirt. ;)
>
> With special FMV of her doing so?? ;-)
>
> DUncan

If not, why bother to have that? :) She'll look so damn cool running about
with sunglasses (wraparound ones?) or even hanging on her shirt. But that's
Lara for us, she'll look cool even with spinach stuck between her teeth -
not that that ever happens to her. ;)

WY

> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>> There I was, minding my own business, when snark^ said...
>>

>>> * bring back the flares, but add multicoloured variations
>>
>> Oh yeah! I'm digging that idea! Some red ones, some green ones, some
>> blue ones....that be ace! Especially if they were kinda random.
>>
>> You know...just on a whole pretty colours kinda deal :)
>>
>>> * bring back the binoculars (or a spyglass)
>>
>> An absolute must.
>>

>>> * chalk for marking walls
>>
>> That would be good. Oh yes!
>>
>> Duncan
>
> Oh how did I miss chalk for marking things?!?
> McG.

Chalk and rope - useful stuff for spys and adventurers. Instead of having
ropes or climbable walls, have Lara use ropes. More in line with her
background, isn't it?

WY

"W. Y." <yeomy@BLAHBLAHBLAH.singnet.com.sg> wrote in message
>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> There I was, minding my own business, when snark^ said...

>>> Oh yeah! I'm digging that idea! Some red ones, some green ones, some
>>> blue ones....that be ace! Especially if they were kinda random.
>>>
>>> You know...just on a whole pretty colours kinda deal :)

>>> An absolute must.

>>> That would be good. Oh yes!
>>>
>>> Duncan
>>
>> Oh how did I miss chalk for marking things?!?
>> McG.
>>

> Chalk and rope - useful stuff for spys and adventurers. Instead of
> having ropes or climbable walls, have Lara use ropes. More in line
> with her background, isn't it?
>
> WY

Now how would rope be more in line with her background? TR1 is the
beginning for us. Where's the rope?
McG.

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, W. Y. mentioned

>"McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>> There I was, minding my own business, when snark^ said...

>>> Oh yeah! I'm digging that idea! Some red ones, some green ones, some
>>> blue ones....that be ace! Especially if they were kinda random.
>>>
>>> You know...just on a whole pretty colours kinda deal :)

>>> An absolute must.

>>> That would be good. Oh yes!
>>>
>>> Duncan
>>
>> Oh how did I miss chalk for marking things?!?
>> McG.
>>

>Chalk and rope - useful stuff for spys and adventurers. Instead of having
>ropes or climbable walls, have Lara use ropes. More in line with her
>background, isn't it?
>
>WY

And handcuffs and sharp or hot or electrically charged objects to help
her persuade the various thugs she disables (just wounded, not killed
you see) to divulge the NEXT clue she will need to get further along
in the quest.

And high-quality stereo grunts, groans and screams gradually fading as
she probes for that information.

..
..
..
..
But that wouldn't *be* Lara's universe, would it?

And I for one wouldn't be happy in it, either.
..
..
We are Microsoft of Borg.....Your technological distinctiveness will be
added to our own.....Resistance is fu...
......$$@#
..
General Protection Fault in MSBORG32.DLL

"Miowarra Tomokatu" <not@thistime.net> wrote in message
> While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
> world domination, W. Y. mentioned
>

>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> "Thunderchief" <dnb@thunderchief1.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

>>> Oh how did I miss chalk for marking things?!?
>>> McG.
>>>

>> Chalk and rope - useful stuff for spys and adventurers. Instead of
>> having ropes or climbable walls, have Lara use ropes. More in line
>> with her background, isn't it?
>>
>> WY
>>
> And handcuffs and sharp or hot or electrically charged objects to help
> her persuade the various thugs she disables (just wounded, not killed
> you see) to divulge the NEXT clue she will need to get further along
> in the quest.
>
> And high-quality stereo grunts, groans and screams gradually fading as
> she probes for that information.
>
> .
> .
> .
> .
> But that wouldn't *be* Lara's universe, would it?
>
> And I for one wouldn't be happy in it, either.
> .
> .
> We are Microsoft of Borg.....Your technological distinctiveness will
> be added to our own.....Resistance is fu...
> .....$$@#
> .
> General Protection Fault in MSBORG32.DLL
> ..

That really wouldn't be Laras universe, no :) She reads a lot, she's
knowledgeable in the field. Indianna Jones hasn't a thing on her!
That's our Lara: Mistress of the Divine Ponytail :)
McG.

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Miowarra Tomokatu was heard,
at about 04/18/2005 07:33 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
<snip>

> .
> We are Microsoft of Borg.....Your technological distinctiveness will be
> added to our own.....Resistance is fu...
> .....$$@#
> .
> General Protection Fault in MSBORG32.DLL
> ..

LOL!!

Love the sig!

---
PW

While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
world domination, Pistol Whipped mentioned

>In the dead of night, a faint whisper from Miowarra Tomokatu was heard,
> at about 04/18/2005 07:33 PM, and I could have sworn it said ...
><snip>
>
>> .
>> We are Microsoft of Borg.....Your technological distinctiveness will be
>> added to our own.....Resistance is fu...
>> .....$$@#
>> .
>> General Protection Fault in MSBORG32.DLL
>> ..
>
>LOL!!
>
>Love the sig!
>
>---
>PW

Welcome to capture and use it yourself, of course!!
..
..
"When in danger or in doubt,
Run in circles, scream and shout"
..
It's not just a management tool,
It's a philosophy for living!!
..

> "Miowarra Tomokatu" <not@thistime.net> wrote in message
>> While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
>> world domination, W. Y. mentioned
>>

>>> "McGrandpa" <McGrandpaNOT@NOThotmail.com> wrote in message

>>> Chalk and rope - useful stuff for spys and adventurers. Instead of
>>> having ropes or climbable walls, have Lara use ropes. More in line
>>> with her background, isn't it?
>>>
>>> WY
>>>
>> And handcuffs and sharp or hot or electrically charged objects to help
>> her persuade the various thugs she disables (just wounded, not killed
>> you see) to divulge the NEXT clue she will need to get further along
>> in the quest.
>>
>> And high-quality stereo grunts, groans and screams gradually fading as
>> she probes for that information.
>>
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> .
>> But that wouldn't *be* Lara's universe, would it?
>>
>> And I for one wouldn't be happy in it, either.
>> .
>> .
>> We are Microsoft of Borg.....Your technological distinctiveness will
>> be added to our own.....Resistance is fu...
>> .....$$@#
>> .
>> General Protection Fault in MSBORG32.DLL
>> ..
>
> That really wouldn't be Laras universe, no :) She reads a lot, she's
> knowledgeable in the field. Indianna Jones hasn't a thing on her! That's
> our Lara: Mistress of the Divine Ponytail :)
> McG.

"Lara: Mistress of the Divine Ponytail"... now that's a thought (or two)!

Have Lara use her ponytail to kill. How weird will that be?!

Also: Oh Lara, our beloved goddess of the divine ponytail! Protect us from
the evils that may befall Tomb Raider: Legends. Bless us with plot experts
and controls engineering geniuses. We beseech thee to stop the perpetuation
of evils in any future games!

;)

WY

snip

>> That really wouldn't be Laras universe, no :) She reads a lot,
>> she's knowledgeable in the field. Indianna Jones hasn't a thing on
>> her! That's our Lara: Mistress of the Divine Ponytail :)
>> McG.
>>

> "Lara: Mistress of the Divine Ponytail"... now that's a thought (or
> two)!
> Have Lara use her ponytail to kill. How weird will that be?!
>
> Also: Oh Lara, our beloved goddess of the divine ponytail! Protect us
> from the evils that may befall Tomb Raider: Legends. Bless us with
> plot experts and controls engineering geniuses. We beseech thee to
> stop the perpetuation of evils in any future games!
>
> ;)
>
> WY

Well, it's more like "M'Lady", yaknow? ;)
McG.

In the dead of night, a faint whisper from W. Y. was heard, at about
04/22/2005 09:46 AM, and I could have sworn it said ...

>>"Miowarra Tomokatu" <not@thistime.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>While taking a short break from the daily grind of enslavement and
>>>world domination, W. Y. mentioned

>>>And handcuffs and sharp or hot or electrically charged objects to help
>>>her persuade the various thugs she disables (just wounded, not killed
>>>you see) to divulge the NEXT clue she will need to get further along
>>>in the quest.
>>>
>>>And high-quality stereo grunts, groans and screams gradually fading as
>>>she probes for that information.
>>>
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>But that wouldn't *be* Lara's universe, would it?
>>>
>>>And I for one wouldn't be happy in it, either.
>>>.
>>>.
>>>We are Microsoft of Borg.....Your technological distinctiveness will
>>>be added to our own.....Resistance is fu...
>>>.....$$@#
>>>.
>>>General Protection Fault in MSBORG32.DLL
>>>..
>>
>>That really wouldn't be Laras universe, no :) She reads a lot, she's
>>knowledgeable in the field. Indianna Jones hasn't a thing on her! That's
>>our Lara: Mistress of the Divine Ponytail :)
>>McG.
>>

> "Lara: Mistress of the Divine Ponytail"... now that's a thought (or two)!
>
> Have Lara use her ponytail to kill. How weird will that be?!
>
> Also: Oh Lara, our beloved goddess of the divine ponytail! Protect us from
> the evils that may befall Tomb Raider: Legends. Bless us with plot experts
> and controls engineering geniuses. We beseech thee to stop the perpetuation
> of evils in any future games!
>
> ;)
>
> WY

Can I get an *Amen* brother and sisters!

---
PW