Basic Lan Network 1 computer to another , Slow file Transfer suspect files are been transferred wireleslly

G

Hi Please , I have had a wired network 1 to 1 computer working at home for quite some time , I just use a network cable , but this morning, file transfers where very slow , only thing that has changed is a update to windows 7 on my computers.

I suspect that instead of sending the files via the 1GB wired network card , windows is choosing to send the files wirelessly , which slows the file transfer by about 10 x

Both computers have a usb Wireless connection for internet.

Both Computers have 1GB network cards and a suitable network cable connected

Both computers are running the same version of windows 7

When I look at my "network and sharing center"

It shows My local area connection is on a unidentified network

My home network has the wireless usb for its connection

Help please...... Its driving me round the bend

G

Hi , the lan is crossover , both computers are desktops and always have the cable connected , both have worked fine with the wireless adaptors connected for a long time....

Is there a way to clear my lan settings for the wired side of things and to begin again ?

If so do you know of a good guide to follow for setting up both machines for windows 7 cross over for file transfer

G

Hi Thank you for the link , but sadly it has not done the trick ,it is pretty much what I have tried a lot of times today... , I can see the computers on the network , but when i click into directorys , it is very slow , take a age to go from one directory to the other ....

I am really stuck.

G

I keep getting this message :-

An error occurred while reconecting Z to \\duplicator-pc\e
Microsoft windows network the local device name is already in use

this connect has not been restored

G

oh no , now for some reason , the same drive is been shared twice and is showing up on the opposite computer as drive Y and drive Z !!

Please how do I clear the settings and begin again !!

G

Hi , Yes on my 2nd computer that I have completely removed the wireless dongle so

How do I ping each computer ?

G

Thank you , Just done that , it appears to be pinging continusly on both computers, not sure if it is ment to show any results

both showing reply : ip address : bytes =32 time <1ms TTL 128

G

Ty :) that has solved one of my mistakes :) Still the connection is poor and flakey

G

I keep getting this message .

I get the message

An error occurred while reconnecting to Z: to \\duplicator-pc\e
Microsoft windows network : the local device name is already in use.

This connection has not been restore

Like I said disconnect the drives and re-map them. The results I was looking for was a time out indicating a bad cable or nic. Try this ping -t 127.0.01 on each computer. That is pinging the actual card itself. Again we are looking for error. Also can you update your ethernet drivers?

G

Hi , Yes both drives where deleted , i remapped , but the same error keeps on appearing.

Pinging with 127.0.0.1 , pings on both computers continusely bytes = 32 time <1ms TTL=128

Latest drivers installed for both cards

G

Would buying a router help me ? I am happy to spend a a few pounds to solve my problem , Or would it not make any difference ?

I was thinking about buying this one

http://www.amazon.co.uk/NETGEAR-GS308-100UKS-Gigabit-Ethernet-Switch/dp/B00AWM7PKO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1447187344&sr=8-1&keywords=network+router+gigabit

Thank you for all your help.

G

Yikes , it appears to be working , Tested without lan cable , using wireless , everything worked fine....but not very fast , not fast enough for shifting around gigs of data quickly....BUT worked...so I went into the bios changed a few IRQ settings and hey presto its currently working !!!

Real test will be a full reboot on both systems....see what happens !!

I think it was because , I have gigabit lan card in the PCI-Express slot , the motherboard is using onboard graphics , So basically I changed all the settings to point straight towards the onboard graphics for inital display and disabled any kind of IRQ's for vga snooping ....seems to of done the trick !!! oddly enough looks as if the battery needs changing on the motherboard , because it looks as if the settings had reset back to default !!

G

Thank you for all your help ,you could not of guessed it was due to a duff battery ,but with your help you kept my persistance up ,enabling the ultimate solution, ty for helping me