Basic of overclocking, Help...

crytech

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2014
Hi guys, it's my first time overclocking and I'm just about to start stuffed the basics into my noob brain. I'm using intel 4790K with Corsair H100i, my memory is Corsair Vengeance Pro 4x4GB 2133MHz CAS9, all fans controlled via corsair link. I'm targetting a stable 4.7, since 4.5 and 4.6 is achieved....

Settings :

1. XMP enabled, Clock Ratio 47 (sync all cores), voltage 1.2 (manual).

RESULTS : fail to boot (as expected)

2. ALL the same but I'm applying extra voltage to 1.25 (manual).

RESULTS: boot succesfully but fail at 2 minutes mark of AIDA64 stress test, I did 2 times to confirm it. (I'm stress testing ONLY the CPU and memory)

3. All the same, applying another extra to 1.275 (manual).

RESULTS: boot succesfully, passing 3 hours of AIDA64 stress test. I'm maxing all the fans that I got through corsair link. The temps:
Core 1: arround 65-74
Core 2: arround 67-75
Core 3: arround 75-82
Core 4: arround 69-78

My room is about 30, and when I'm lowering my fan speed and let the CPU run at idle the temps is at stable 37 while keeping the 3rd settings.

Yeah, I know 3 hours is nothing for validation, but I think for starters it's okay, yeah it's just okaay..

And next is........ Any tips or tricks or any new information for me to optimize my overclocking settings? like how to achieve a lower temps, another oc method or anything!!
Because I want to learn more :D

Here's the spec of my PC if it's needed : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/b9N2D3

Your max core temp of 82*C. is just fine. You should have nothing to worry about at these OC settings.

If you would like to try for more, you could increase VCore to 1.300 v. BUT NO MORE! Then increase your clock and retest.

For a stress test, like AIDA64, your CPU Core Temp should NOT exceed 90*C. Notice that this is ONLY for a stress test! Temps during gaming and other normal tasks should be lower.

Yogi

crytech

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2014

Thanks for the reply and the tips, apreciate it !

I found the voltage settings offset and adaptive, what's the difference, how does it works, and how to implement it? I knew that manual is like fixed voltage which won't change no matter what I do on desktop.
I did browse a bit about these 2 settings, but the explanation didn't quite get into my head :)

Would you mind to explain it to me?

*UPDATE
I'm trying to find the best mild OC settings to be used 24/7, and looks like it's doing fine @4.5GHz 1.18V. Does it strange for the voltage to be that low? Because I've been running AIDA64 for more than an hour and still no sign of error. I know it's only an hour, because at 1.7 it fails at 5 minute mark.

That is strange. Did you mean to type 1.17 fails at 5 minute mark?

Don't complain about 1.18 v.! You may just have a "golden chip"!

I forget the details of "Offset" but "Adaptive" allows the VCore and CPU speed to go up and down according to CPU load. I leave mine on Adaptive all of the time. To make use of Adaptive, you must also be sure that your Power Option in Windows is set to "Balanced". If "High Performance" is selected, the CPU will constantly run at max clock setting.

Yogi

crytech

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2014

Yep sorry, I meant 1.17v It fails at multiplier set to 45, but it works fine at 1.18 Vcore.

I try to redo everything from scratch, set the multiplier back to 44 (stock turbo) with the voltage at 1.15 = passed 7 hours AIDA64. Going to confirm 45 multiplier at 1.18 Vcore.
After that I'll go with 46 multiplier and figure out the lowest Vcore to achieve that.

What do you mean by "golden chip" o_O?

I'm trying to learn about uncore/cache ratio min.max or something, does it affect the OC performance?

crytech

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2014

How about the cache ratio voltage? I have no idea about how much voltage I should apply, does leave it at auto will resulting a hell of overvoltage like the Vcore at auto does...?

You need to read a good Broadwell OC Guide (LINK) This should answer most of your questions.

Yogi