Question Basic PC Case advice please

jediwomble

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2016
Does anyone know of a gaming PC case with a completely flat & featureless top, ie. no buttons, no vents etc?

Any help appreciated.

anyone know of a gaming PC case with a completely flat & featureless top
just browse through a retailer like Newegg.com's cases and look for one that suits your needs.

there are many out there like you describe but any other factors that you are looking for(size, cooling options, interior component placement, color, price, etc) would have to also be shared for any real recommendations.

jediwomble

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2016
just browse through a retailer like Newegg.com's cases and look for one that suits your needs.

there are many out there like you describe but any other factors that you are looking for(size, cooling options, interior component placement, color, price, etc) would have to also be shared for any real recommendations.

Thanks, but I've tried that with a few retailer sites and not found anything yet...

DavidLejdar

Prominent
Sep 11, 2022
Do you mean something as the Aerocool Tomahawk, but without the panel pointing top? The closest I would know of is the "be quiet! Pure Base 600" or the "Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X", but probably also not a 100% fit. Other than that, it would be quite rare, as modern cases usually have some form of mesh at the top, as to support the installation of at least one fan below it.

jediwomble

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2016
Do you mean something as the Aerocool Tomahawk, but without the panel pointing top? The closest I would know of is the "be quiet! Pure Base 600" or the "Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X", but probably also not a 100% fit. Other than that, it would be quite rare, as modern cases usually have some form of mesh at the top, as to support the installation of at least one fan below it.
Thanks for the suggestions. The Phanteks is the closest I've seen so far to what I'm after.

jediwomble

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2016
why exactly do you want/need a solid flat top?

if it's just for using as a shelf you can still place objects on a case with a vented ceiling.

also, most cases i've worked with for quite some time have recessed buttons.
so even if they are top placed they do not protrude any.
It's a combination of aesthetics, airflow and dust. The environment it would be in causes top-facing usb ports etc to get gummed up with claggy dust.

DSzymborski

Titan
I would note that a top exhaust will tend to be your best option; you simply won't have as much fan space to exhaust out the back. And that airflow should keep things from going in top too much; I have a cat on my O11 Dynamic XL about half the time and I've never had a fur problem on the top (though on the intake...).

As for USB, simply getting a case that has the USB ports on the front rather than the top should be enough. And for top USB ports, you can get dust covers for a few books for a few dozen.

Maybe you still want a solid top, but it does greatly reduce your options.