Basically my pc cannot be seen by the other devices on the network, how to fix this?

Aug 13, 2018
Upgraded wireless adapter for laptop (fujitsu AH532M) using white-list from the manufacturer (from N2230 to N7260 Dual Band) .
The adapter works just fine going on the internet and seeing other devices on the network, transferring files between devices etc

The issue is the pc itself CAN NOT be seen by other devices on the network. The other devices cannot find let alone access my pc (windows 10 latest upgrade)

The laptop has an automatically assigned IP but none of the the devices can see it.
All discovery services running and on automatic status:
DNS Client, Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication, SSDP Discovery

*the adapter/wireless card has been updated to the most up to date drivers from intel
*The network is set to private (problem occurs in public mode as well) . File and Printer Sharing for Window Networks is enabled under the adaptor properties
*I CAN ping the laptop from other devices no problem (only port 135 seems to be open despite all file sharing options ticked as ON in firewall (Network Discovery, File and Printer Sharing, File and Printer Sharing Over SMBDirect)
*I swapped routers and the problem was the same
*I have set Enable NetBIOS in the wireless adaptor WINS settings but it still shows up as disabled under ipconfig /all

I have also noticed in ipconfig the new adaptor shows as WIFI 2, should it not just be WIFI ? does that mean it is currently not the default wifi adaptor..... hence the issue of not being seen by other devices? Does this mean there are still setting from the previous adaptor somewhere that are pushing the new adapter to position 2
under wmic nicconfig get caption,index,TcpipNetbiosOptions the old card still shows up on position 3 whilst the new card shows up on position 13. Does this have any bearing?

Thank You

Solution

Thank you for replying...i fugured the basic problem was that netbios over tcip was disabled....normal methods to turn it on were no joy...finally had to go and do some registry vodoo as shown here by MarketSilent
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/netbios-over-tcpip-broken-since-upgrade-to/fd141dd9-8500-419d-b8e7-ac7255f44ec0
So you are all on the same network and all other computers can see each other with zero problems?
Check IP and set it manually to 1 ip different to the others 192.168.1.*+1 (if that is the ip you're using).
Make sure the subnet is exactly the same
Make sure firewalls are off for now - if you trust the other computers then you can confirm that isn't the problem
Disable all other network adaptors you are not using.

Aug 13, 2018
Yes, same network, all other devices can see each other. From my pc i can see all the other devices and interact with them...Its just that the other devices cannot see my pc so i cant connect to my pc from the other devices

I have tested with firewalls off no joy, tried disabling firewalls only port 554 is opened in addition to 135... then i tried rebooting with firewalls off but windows turns them back on automatically on start up
about the other network adaptors there is only one installed the new wifi card but on wmic nicconfig get caption,index,TcpipNetbiosOptions the wifi card i removed still shows up...how do i remove it? it is already not installed on the pc

Aug 13, 2018

Thank you for replying...i fugured the basic problem was that netbios over tcip was disabled....normal methods to turn it on were no joy...finally had to go and do some registry vodoo as shown here by MarketSilent
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-networking/netbios-over-tcpip-broken-since-upgrade-to/fd141dd9-8500-419d-b8e7-ac7255f44ec0

Solution