Basics of RAM updating?

3rdCluster

Honorable
Aug 24, 2012
Hi Guys :hello:

I am new to this site, and to get started, I wanted to ask you guys a Question:

I ordered my new hp p6 yesterday. It's a laptop that offers a lot of space, and has a 4GB Ram, and another 4GB Ram slot left open. My Question here is this: When the PC arrives, is it safe to buy a 4 Gig Ram, slide it in, and start up the PC and set it up? And when buying, is there anything to watch out for?

Like described, that would mean I would "install" (physically) the RAM before I start the PC for the first time. So would that mean the PC automatically configures it during Win7 startup and OES startup, or is it safer to start it for the first time, and then install the RAM, and how would I do this?

This is my 1st Desktop PC, so I am totally lost lol

Thx in advance :)

-Robert

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
First off is it a laptop or desktop? You refer to it as both and a google for "hp p6" is for a desktop. Just to be sure.

Either way it won't matter if you install the ram before or after booting up, windows will just look and say "Oh, I have 4gb of ram" and then it's next boot go "oh, I have 8gb of ram", it wont even remember only having 4gb before.

To best pick what ram to get though what version of the computer is it you're getting? A link would be best.

A Good Resource for a newbee is Crusial Memory

you can scan the pc from the site it will tell you how much ram is installed, what is the max. what size sticks are in what slot and what speed you use.

Keep in mind that 32 bit operating systems are limited to 4 gb of ram.