Bass Preamp under $1000

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John L Rice wrote:

> "Joe Sensor" wrote...

> > You WANT this amp!
> > http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--AMPB100R

> > I have had many bass amps over the years, direct boxes, pod, etc., and
> > this will give you the mojo. Next best thing to the famous (and still
> > expensive) Ampeg fliptops'. I love this amp.

> > Then mic it up with whatever you got, even the c535 will work. The main
> > thing is to first get the right tone, then recording it becomes much
> > easier.

Hey, check the sizer of the driver here from the specs:

*Technical Description
*Unbalanced Line Out

*Mid Tone Control: Ultra Mid

*RMS Power Output: 100W

*Speakers: 15 ft.

Whoa, a fifteen foot speakers! Big bottom, indeed!

> I'm really impressed with this amp, and I haven't even heard bass through it
> yet! A guy I've been playing with had been using it for his guitar amp and
> I kept liking the sound so much I walked over to take a look at it and it
> said 'bass amp' on it! He said the he discovered its usefulness as a guitar
> amp by accident because his regular guitar amp was not working one day so he
> used his bass amp as a temporary thing and he liked it so much he just uses
> it all the time of guitar.

> I've been wanting to pick one up for the studio.

Long ago I heard a fabulous jazz guitarist working with Paul Horn who
used a Les Paul Jr. into a B12-N and got a wonderful sound.

--
ha

<mwood5nospam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Well, as always, I was recording an amazing player which made more
> diffence than anything in the signal chain.

Agreed. What goes in begets what comes out.

--
ha

> John L Rice wrote:
>
> > "Joe Sensor" wrote...
>
> > > You WANT this amp!
> > > http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--AMPB100R
>
> > > I have had many bass amps over the years, direct boxes, pod, etc., and
> > > this will give you the mojo. Next best thing to the famous (and still
> > > expensive) Ampeg fliptops'. I love this amp.
>
> > > Then mic it up with whatever you got, even the c535 will work. The
main
> > > thing is to first get the right tone, then recording it becomes much
> > > easier.
>
> Hey, check the sizer of the driver here from the specs:
>
> *Technical Description
> *Unbalanced Line Out
>
> *Mid Tone Control: Ultra Mid
>
> *RMS Power Output: 100W
>
> *Speakers: 15 ft.
>

> Whoa, a fifteen foot speakers! Big bottom, indeed!
>
> > I'm really impressed with this amp, and I haven't even heard bass
through it
> > yet! A guy I've been playing with had been using it for his guitar amp
and
> > I kept liking the sound so much I walked over to take a look at it and
it
> > said 'bass amp' on it! He said the he discovered its usefulness as a
guitar
> > amp by accident because his regular guitar amp was not working one day
so he
> > used his bass amp as a temporary thing and he liked it so much he just
uses
> > it all the time of guitar.
>
> > I've been wanting to pick one up for the studio.
>
> Long ago I heard a fabulous jazz guitarist working with Paul Horn who
> used a Les Paul Jr. into a B12-N and got a wonderful sound.
>
> --
> ha

WhaaaaaaT? You mean if I get that amp, it wont sound at least as good as
when the experienced excellent player plays through it? I mean come on!
I'm a drummer after all . . . noise is noise . . right?

John L Rice
Drummer@ImJohn.com

OK ...
Before I even download this,
someone tell me what a ".m4a" filetype is
and what I need to play it with.
I'm not going through that QuickTime BS again
if I can avoid it.

rd

I tried this with a R125 cartridge without a transformer.
The level drop was about 10-12 dB and made for a sweet
sounding 57 clone.

rd

sorry, it's the standard ipod format. Sounds tons better than a
regular mp3. Now that I'm home, I'll try to post an mp3 there. Give
me a few...
later,

Hibes wrote:

> Thanks for all the great advice guys. I'm going to look into buying a
> nice bass amp for around $500, maybe the Ampeg that someone mentioned,
> and try micing it. I need an amp anyway for the Fender Jazz bass I'll
> be recording. If I'm not happy with it, then I'll consider a preamp
> along side it such as the RNP.

And with a Jazz bass yet :) Yes, I guarantee you will love the amp. And
it really makes playing the bass fun!

i've been using the sansamp DI and akg d112 on my svt's 4 x 10 cab.
deepest, thickest, and most defined sound i've ever achieved.
sometimes stereo and sometimes blended depending on what else is in the
mix. playing a EB stingray 5 - btw.

Tony wrote:
> Hi - I'd like to learn a little about the better bass pre-amps. But
as
> far as I can determine, the ART MPA Gold and FMR RNP are mic
pre-amps,

Most preamps (mic or otherwise) can be used as an
instrument preamp provided the proper connection
can be made, i.e. 1/4" guitar jack.
The presence of tone controls and compression
just makes for added tone shaping ability but the
main goal is to raise the level to that needed to
drive A/D converters or record amplifiers to
enable tracking for recording, or, to drive
a power amp in the case of a stage rig.
The mark of a great mic preamp is accuracy
and good gain with low noise, something that
IN MY OPINION is not all that critical with
a bass or guitar preamp.
My personal preference to track bass is just
to mic an amp cabinet but I've used just about
every DI method with variuos results.

examples:
passive transformer direct-box into console channel
line in to console channel
Yamaha, Ashly, Marshall, Fender instrument preamp
line out of guitar amp
ART and other inexpensive mic preamp
Avalon 737 and other premium mic preamp

I liked the results from the 737 but it may
have been overkill.

> and I can't find anything useful on the "Evil Twin" at all. Are these
> considered better than actual bass "pre-amps"? why?

The ET is a short run custom made unit and
you should be able to find the contact info
by searching the group. (I've not used one)
If you want one, get in line.
Usually something that is a little better
costs a lot more, shop accordingly.

good luck
rd

in article 1107207050.460600.168670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, Hibes at
peter@worldbreak.com wrote on 1/31/05 1:30 PM:

> I'm looking for suggestions for a bass preamp under $800. I know a
> couple of people that are happy with the ART MPA Gold. Some here
> suggest the FMR RNP as a better option. Any opinions on these or
> others would be very helpful.

The Evil Twin is pretty awesome...

-jeff

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Hi - I'd like to learn a little about the better bass pre-amps. But as
far as I can determine, the ART MPA Gold and FMR RNP are mic pre-amps,
and I can't find anything useful on the "Evil Twin" at all. Are these
considered better than actual bass "pre-amps"? why?

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 08:59:09 GMT, Jeff Olsen
<handywired@earthlink.net> wrote:

>in article 1107207050.460600.168670@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com, Hibes at
>peter@worldbreak.com wrote on 1/31/05 1:30 PM:
>
>> I'm looking for suggestions for a bass preamp under $800. I know a
>> couple of people that are happy with the ART MPA Gold. Some here
>> suggest the FMR RNP as a better option. Any opinions on these or
>> others would be very helpful.
>
>The Evil Twin is pretty awesome...
>
>-jeff

Tony (remove the "_" to reply by email)

Tony wrote:

> But as
> far as I can determine, the ART MPA Gold and FMR RNP are mic pre-amps,
> and I can't find anything useful on the "Evil Twin" at all. Are these
> considered better than actual bass "pre-amps"? why?

The RNP has a DI input, and it's a very good DI. The ET is pretty
esoteric, small-run hand-built kit. It was designed to DI bass, but with
up to 36 dB of gain, available at the XLR, and by switiching from Line
to Loop, at the 1/4" output, too. What is considered "better" I leave up
to you. The Evil Twin is the best bass preamp I have ever used.

--
ha

Tony wrote:
> Thanks RD, Hank and Jeff.
>
> As the obvious attributes of connectors, gain and EQ can be had for
> lots less money, I guess I was wondering what makes these pre-amps
> worth the extra for a bass application?
>
> Tony

Build quality and component reliability can
go a long way toward cost. Good design and
customer service are features that are
worth something, too. "Made in USA" ?
Daily studio use or nightly stage use can
make or break any device.
Then we get to the actual sound quality...
High calibre units that are designed for a
very specific need and made in smaller
quantities by nature will cost more.
Also consider that some items (not just bass
preamps) may also have "Boutique Appeal"
and be able to fetch a greater profit.
Just like being able to hang ProTools on
your shingle "It's all part of the cost of doing
business"

rd

in article st0k01dpbd4ma808hocq3gjhfiub51mlm9@4ax.com, Tony at
tony_roe@tpg.com.au wrote on 2/9/05 4:40 AM:

> Hi - I'd like to learn a little about the better bass pre-amps. But as
> far as I can determine, the ART MPA Gold and FMR RNP are mic pre-amps,
> and I can't find anything useful on the "Evil Twin" at all. Are these
> considered better than actual bass "pre-amps"? why?

>> The Evil Twin is pretty awesome...
>>
>> -jeff

The Evil Twin is a DI that has a stepped rotary switch with enough gain on
tap to drive an instrument-level signal to +4 balanced, peggin' the
meters... so yes, it's a preamp, also a DI, but it only has minimal EQ or
other amenities. It will preamplify your bass guitar to line level in a
most pleasing way.

It may be that they are no longer made. I know the guy who designed then
(Bruce at Eclair Engineering) got real sick. They are a very high-quality
unit with tubes, Jensen trannys etc.

I'd stay away from anything ART personally. For $800 you can get some good,
REAL gear, like an Avalon DI or the good Summit one.

-jeff

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

Thanks RD, Hank and Jeff.

As the obvious attributes of connectors, gain and EQ can be had for
lots less money, I guess I was wondering what makes these pre-amps
worth the extra for a bass application?

Tony

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 05:01:25 GMT, Jeff Olsen

Tony wrote:

> As the obvious attributes of connectors, gain and EQ can be had for
> lots less money, I guess I was wondering what makes these pre-amps
> worth the extra for a bass application?

All those things RD listed, plus the way they _sound_. A Hyundai has
four wheels, just like a Ferrari.

--
ha