Question Batch Convert All My Movies to Mobile (from MKV)

accesscpu_

Reputable
May 7, 2019
I have a media folder with about 500-600 movies, all in .mkv format. This is also the folder I point my Plex Server to when streaming to my smart TVs.

I need a program I can point to this folder, set a preset that will compress them down to about a 1 gig each, then let it run as a batch to convert them all.

I'd like to shrink my collection down to load them onto a mini-SD card that I can take on the road (and easily pop into a cell phone or tablet). What app can do this?

Ralston18

Titan
And I will add the suggestion to be absolutely sure that you have backup copies of all those movies saved elsewhere away from the current host system. At least 2 x sets proven to be recoverable and readable.

Batch processes/conversions can easily go astray and wreak havoc on the target files and end products.

Plan the conversion process so that if things do not go well you can wipe the mini-SD card and try again. Always keeping the original movie files protected in some manner.

I would not recommend an initial run targeting all 500- 600 movies. Work with smaller batches at first and then increase the batch size as warranted.

And I will add the suggestion to be absolutely sure that you have backup copies of all those movies saved elsewhere away from the current host system. At least 2 x sets proven to be recoverable and readable.

Batch processes/conversions can easily go astray and wreak havoc on the target files and end products.

Plan the conversion process so that if things do not go well you can wipe the mini-SD card and try again. Always keeping the original movie files protected in some manner.

I would not recommend an initial run targeting all 500- 600 movies. Work with smaller batches at first and then increase the batch size as warranted.
I don't think that there is any converting app that automatically deletes the source files, most will also output into a completely different folder.
But yes do a few videos at a time unless you are very sure that all videos will result in the same quality.

Reactions: Ralston18