Batman: Arkham Asylum: GPUs, CPUs, And PhysX Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kohlhagen

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2006
I just bought an ATI 5000 series card.. can i use my second PCI-E slot with the nvidia 220 to support physX? (i doubt it because AMD/Nvidia GPUs together cause driver issues)

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Don[/nom]--it's almost as though the game is artificially capping performance at a set level, and is then using only the CPU resources it needs to reach that level. On the Core i7, PhysX is using fewer resources than it does on the Phenom II. This would make sense if there was an artificial performance cap, as the i7 has shown to outperform AMD's architecture.[/citation]
With Nvidia pushing proprietary API's like CUDA and PhysX, they're at a point where these things are some of the largest selling points of their products.

With this in mind, and given Nvidia's past Anti-Consumer business practices, I think we can all expect to see a lot more of this kind of thing in the future with TWIMTBP games.

2shea

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2008
@ kohlhagen: with an ati 5000 card you probably won't need that second card if you don't play on the highest resolution.

nzprogamer

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2009
im a big fan of amd and im planing to buy the xfx 4850 in the weekend but the gts250 just add another $5-10 i think i will buy the GTS-250. come on ATI

noob2222

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
Interesting find on the CPU useage with ATI cards. It would appear that Nvidia programmed Physix not to unload programming to the cpu, instead forcing it to the GPU only. Just a speculation since it is thier option.

sohei

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
this game runs great on any hardware but but , nvidia is just nvidia
why you sell a game to all the people when is just for nvidia cards ?
that.s why i love google.... google sell free things, nvidia is the opposite

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
NPD numbers show this game as currently being one of the least popular PC games - 92nd in fact.

Nice article BTW, it's sad that the developers were paid off by Nvidia to drop support of AA on AMD cards (in game menu AA support that, there is a work round for ATI cards) as this shows just how morally bankrupt Nvidia is these days.

And just for the record this isn't a case of AMD not 'supporting developers' as Nvidia would lead you to believe. Never mind the fact it can be enabled via a hack, Richard Hubby from AMD has uploaded an email he got from the developers of Batman Arkham Asylum saying there would be lawsuit if they changed to games code to enable game menu support of AA on ATI cards.

descendency

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]there is a work round for ATI cards) as this shows just how morally bankrupt Nvidia is these days.[/citation]
Just don't forget about those morally bankrupt Intel people!!!

-NVidia.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]descendency[/nom]Just don't forget about those morally bankrupt Intel people!!! -NVidia.[/citation]
There's one thing Intel has that Nvidia doesn't: A top performing product. With the 3xx series no where in sight, Nvidia seems to be relying more and more on their proprietary API's to sell their cards.

While Intel leads the market in innovation, Nvidia seems like they would be completely content leaving graphics technology right where it's at, if they had the choice.

curnel_D

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2007
[citation][nom]Kohlhagen[/nom]I just bought an ATI 5000 series card.. can i use my second PCI-E slot with the nvidia 220 to support physX? (i doubt it because AMD/Nvidia GPUs together cause driver issues)[/citation]
Yes, but only through old drivers or a workaround. I'm currently doing the same thing with a 4850x2 and a 9600 GSO.

The PhysX API is a great thing. The guys who made it had a brilliant thing going. But it'd be a TON better if Nvidia converted it to the OpenCL standard. If they don't, it's going to end up as a 'could have been' technology.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Tom is pressing hard keeping nvidia in footlights these days. They don't have DX11 and they don't have mainstream/high end 40nm cards. Reviewing twimtbp PhysX title with nvidia's vendor lock AA implementation is one way to show how "nvidia cards rock".

alterecho

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
aa can only be enabled if you have a geforce 8 series in this game. It is
impossible to use in any ati cards.

ati changed it's hardware id on one it's card and they were able to
enable aa and guess what, the performance was same as that of geforce and not much performance hit. i think don forced aa via catalyst which cripples the frames.

verrul

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2009
wierd with a workaround as others have done ati cards 48xx cards get the free x4 aa something is really fishy with the physix though

juliom

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]Tom is pressing hard keeping nvidia in footlights these days. They don't have DX11 and they don't have mainstream/high end 40nm cards. Reviewing twimtbp PhysX title with nvidia's vendor lock AA implementation is one way to show how "nvidia cards rock".[/citation]

Amen brother...

G

can anyone show me how to enable PhysX if I only have an ati HD 4870 ? I tought that wasn't possible. But I don't know now after seeing this article...

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]sohei[/nom]that.s why i love google.... google sell free things, nvidia is the opposite[/citation]
I find this concept of selling free things confusing.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Good article, i got rid of some doubts i had.
Physx.. it's a cool thing but i don't know i still want to change my 9800gt for a 4890 and a dedicated physx won't do for me, coz i already have to pay around 300us for a 4890.. the 220 it's around 100 in here.. so F*** it.

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]nzprogamer[/nom]im a big fan of amd and im planing to buy the xfx 4850 in the weekend but the gts250 just add another $5-10 i think i will buy the GTS-250. come on ATI[/citation]

This is an example of the efficiency of Nvidia's "cripple the competition" strategy.

mcvf

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]There's one thing Intel has that Nvidia doesn't: A top performing product. With the 3xx series no where in sight, Nvidia seems to be relying more and more on their proprietary API's to sell their cards.While Intel leads the market in innovation, Nvidia seems like they would be completely content leaving graphics technology right where it's at, if they had the choice.[/citation]

Intel? Innovation? Common, Intel only "innovates" when he wants his customers to dish out some new bucks. Before the competition of Intel become really competitive, the "innovations" were very slow and very minor with respect to previous products taking an ages to get to a new level.

Status
Not open for further replies.