News Battery chemistry advance promises to deliver 'smaller, lighter, and cheaper' Li-ion cells

"Solvent-mediated oxide hydrogenation in layered cathodes", sounds like water is getting in and being split to H2 and O. The Oxygen is causing the Oxide and the H2 the Hydrogenation. Easy to say, may be quite hard to fix.
Lithium ion battery cathodes are made of oxides and most solvents contain hydrogen. Most organic solvents contain oxygen. Water is almost certainly not related to anything going on inside a lithium ion battery in any significant way.

Reactions: thisisaname
We've kinda suspected this as the primary issue with LiION technology for awhile, good to see it demonstrated conclusively. This is why I won't purchase any battery powered passenger vehicles, battery degradation is a huge issue in the long term operation of said vehicles. Reducing this effect by an order of magnitude would go a very long way to making it more then a niche product.

Reactions: Amdlova

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
My old Focus EV was starting to show signs of its 8+ years. But only about 15% less capacity it seemed to me. Considering it only started out with 76 miles of range, that was problematic for my out of town trips. No fast charging on that model either and it was always topped up to 100%, which was less than ideal.

But if I take the more typical EV capacity of around 250 miles range and consider a low estimate of 500 charge cycles before significant issues. That is still 125,000 miles range. I certainly do under 10k miles per year average since I have a relatively short commute. So 8 years does look to be about right again before I see significant degradation. But even at 15-20% less capacity, that would still be a perfectly viable car for my use.

Perfectly viable for anyone that doesn't do daily long distance commuting at highway speeds.

By then I expect some base range increase and or other features that will be worth looking at in 8-10 years.

Notton

Commendable
Dec 29, 2023
My Prius hybrid is >12 years old. Battery degradation is about 15~20%, but it's basically unnoticeable. The range on a full tank is only around <8% less compared to 8 years ago.

The e-scooter I have is too new to see any range loss.

I notice battery degradation more on phones, with a larger annoyance against counterfeit replacement batteries for them.

Amdlova

Distinguished
BANNED
My old galaxy s7 still working today with original batery. first years of use of it make slow charger... today it is with my mom... she charge it with a nokia charge without quick charge. My s22 with quick charge the batery died within two years of use.

Eletric cars it's not for me. I drive 650 Miles per year. Never will get the money of a new shine toy car.

Reactions: 67Matt99
Aug 1, 2024
So the lab is 75% Chinese?….
As will the US as 'They' continue to piece meal us out to China and who ever wins the auction sale.
It's been going on for quite some time now with our manufacturing, Big Pharma, Auto Industry etc.(Ivory Towers maybe in the US)but manufacturing is sent overseas like most of it has.
If China is the one the US is to fear, it's because We made it so.

Feb 7, 2024
I am excited for the future. Vehicles with 10 year battery warranty and 15 year expected lifespan are starting to appear. If even this can be improved then it might persuade more people to switch.
But a lot of EVs from the last decade will go out of warranty and will appear on second hand market. If those start to develop battery problems, then on a global scale - it might negatively impact EV viability perception.
And small devices from smartphones to earbuds would definitely benefit from better battery lifespan. Those tend to degrade faster because there is less leeway to optimally manage the battery.

Aug 1, 2024
"If even this can be improved then it might persuade more people to switch."

As long as their are doubts about the real impact of the EV battery mining, production and recycling having less impact on the planet there will those who will rather 'fight than switch'.
The National Grid System has not kept pace with present day demand. It's old and outdated.
That is a fact and the info to back it is readily available.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
The grid in some areas is insufficient, this is not true everywhere. Many places actually have excess solar and wind. Transportation costs/losses kill the idea of moving that power to where it is needed.

What I want to see is the power company lobbyists impact on house to grid connections be deregulated. In many states the only way to have solar installed is to pay a company to turn your house into an energy provider. You don't own the panels, equipment, etc. People who got solar early can sell power the grid, offset bills, etc. Now they want to charge you to deal with your excess energy. (Power companies are in the business of selling power, not buying it, I get it, but we need a solution now and solar is an easy way)

Downsides of solar are that it delivers most of its power during the day when it is least needed.

One bright spot in that regard is taking used EV batteries and putting them on the grid. They don't have enough power for adequate range on a car any more, but they can still float dozens of kWh for decades each. So they don't necessarily go to waste.

We also need a battery replacement guarantee in place. 8 year warranty by federal law, but the cars can last longer than that, they should have to offer upgraded battery options.