battery doesn't last long AT ALL

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

I have an HP Pavilion dv4170us notebook with the factory battery, and when i
turn the machine off at night, with it plugged in...it's supposed to be
charging, however, when I use it only running on the battery, it only lasts
for about an hour....i know it's supposed to last longer than that. Is
something wrong with my charger? battery?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Call HP.

tman2o wrote:

> I have an HP Pavilion dv4170us notebook with the factory battery, and when i
> turn the machine off at night, with it plugged in...it's supposed to be
> charging, however, when I use it only running on the battery, it only lasts
> for about an hour....i know it's supposed to last longer than that. Is
> something wrong with my charger? battery?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Is this a new or old computer? If old, have you been completely discharging
it monthly?

"tman2o" <tman2o@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:7E150289-8AB4-4C6B-934C-575D5D1B7C24@microsoft.com...
>I have an HP Pavilion dv4170us notebook with the factory battery, and when
>i
> turn the machine off at night, with it plugged in...it's supposed to be
> charging, however, when I use it only running on the battery, it only
> lasts
> for about an hour....i know it's supposed to last longer than that. Is
> something wrong with my charger? battery?
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

It's brand new...ive had it for less than a month. So i need to let it run
completely out and then recharge it about once a month?

"Dennis Marks" wrote:

> Is this a new or old computer? If old, have you been completely discharging
> it monthly?
>
> "tman2o" <tman2o@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:7E150289-8AB4-4C6B-934C-575D5D1B7C24@microsoft.com...
> >I have an HP Pavilion dv4170us notebook with the factory battery, and when
> >i
> > turn the machine off at night, with it plugged in...it's supposed to be
> > charging, however, when I use it only running on the battery, it only
> > lasts
> > for about an hour....i know it's supposed to last longer than that. Is
> > something wrong with my charger? battery?
>
>
>
 

jonah

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2004
67
0
18,630
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:30:03 -0700, tman2o
<tman2o@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have an HP Pavilion dv4170us notebook with the factory battery, and when i
>turn the machine off at night, with it plugged in...it's supposed to be
>charging, however, when I use it only running on the battery, it only lasts
>for about an hour....i know it's supposed to last longer than that. Is
>something wrong with my charger? battery?

Batterys need to be totally discharged regularly like once a week at
least, constant topping up results in the battery being able to hold
only a fraction of it specified charge. Cure is new batteries sorry,
HP won't help they will say its self inflicted.

Jonah
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"jonah" <jonah@nowhere.com> wrote in message
news:3srei1lgol8bqgue6jvfa1m9gevetg1bi2@4ax.com...
>
> Batterys need to be totally discharged regularly like once a week at
> least, constant topping up results in the battery being able to hold
> only a fraction of it specified charge.

While that might have been true for nickel cadmium batteries, it is not so
for lithium ion batteries in most notebook computers. They do not suffer
from the memory effect like nicads.

> Cure is new batteries sorry,

That much is true. Batteries have a limited life and will need to be
replaced eventually. My first one lasted about a year and a half, but my
current one is still fine after over two years.

> HP won't help they will say its self inflicted.
>
> Jonah
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

My machine is brand new...ive had it less than a month. do i need to let it
run completely out and then recharge it about once a month?

"Jason Haynes" wrote:

>
> "jonah" <jonah@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> news:3srei1lgol8bqgue6jvfa1m9gevetg1bi2@4ax.com...
> >
> > Batterys need to be totally discharged regularly like once a week at
> > least, constant topping up results in the battery being able to hold
> > only a fraction of it specified charge.
>
> While that might have been true for nickel cadmium batteries, it is not so
> for lithium ion batteries in most notebook computers. They do not suffer
> from the memory effect like nicads.
>
> > Cure is new batteries sorry,
>
> That much is true. Batteries have a limited life and will need to be
> replaced eventually. My first one lasted about a year and a half, but my
> current one is still fine after over two years.
>
> > HP won't help they will say its self inflicted.
> >
> > Jonah
>
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

"tman2o" <tman2o@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C170D74E-5539-41CF-95EC-DF1448FA9153@microsoft.com...
> My machine is brand new...ive had it less than a month.

In that case, make sure that the charging light comes on when you plug the
machine in. If it does, then you should contact HP and have them send you a
warranty replacement for your battery.
 

Rock

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
1,242
0
19,280
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

tman2o wrote:

> My machine is brand new...ive had it less than a month. do i need to let it
> run completely out and then recharge it about once a month?
>
> "Jason Haynes" wrote:
>
>
>>"jonah" <jonah@nowhere.com> wrote in message
>>news:3srei1lgol8bqgue6jvfa1m9gevetg1bi2@4ax.com...
>>
>>>Batterys need to be totally discharged regularly like once a week at
>>>least, constant topping up results in the battery being able to hold
>>>only a fraction of it specified charge.
>>
>>While that might have been true for nickel cadmium batteries, it is not so
>>for lithium ion batteries in most notebook computers. They do not suffer
>>from the memory effect like nicads.
>>
>>
>>>Cure is new batteries sorry,
>>
>>That much is true. Batteries have a limited life and will need to be
>>replaced eventually. My first one lasted about a year and a half, but my
>>current one is still fine after over two years.
>>
>>
>>>HP won't help they will say its self inflicted.
>>>
>>>Jonah
>>
>>
>>

Contact HP tech support. It's a hardware issue, not an XP OS issue, and
the system is new and still in warranty.

--
Rock
MS MVP Windows - Shell/User
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

On Tuesday 13 September 2005 07:13 pm, tman2o had this to say in
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general:

> My machine is brand new...ive had it less than a month. do i need to let
> it run completely out and then recharge it about once a month?
>
You shouldn't have to do that. It's obviously a faulty battery if it is that
new and only holding a charge for an hour. Demand that HP replace that
battery under your warranty.


--
Now this is Eye-Candy! Most beautiful desktop in the world.
Checkout ELive - a live Linux CD - run R17
http://www.elivecd.org/gb/About/index.html
 

TRENDING THREADS