[SOLVED] Battery is low, laptop turns off and then turns off again when turned on ?

Aug 18, 2021
When my battery is critically low and i don't plug it in fast enough, the laptop turns off. Normal, but when i plug it in and its now charging it will boot up and let me log in then just turn off again. After that its fine and wont turn off again.

This happens every time i let the battery get to critical or if the battery gets really low in sleep mode it will do this the moment i wake it up.
It turns off, lets me then boot it up and it stays on for about 1 min or 2 after boot up is done. then it just shuts off again. Then i can turn it back on and it is fine.
Not sure what the issue is, could it just need a new battery or something else?

Solution
It's likely shutting down when plugged in because the battery is too low. Your computer boots. Windows sees the battery is at critical. Then shuts down again. Give it a few minutes before booting it.

On a side note. Unless you want to be buying a new battery way earlier than expected. Stop letting it go to critical. Your goal should be a 20% minimum. The earlier you put it on a charger the better. Up to about 80% to 90%.

Edit: If it's turning on automatically. Check you BIOS settings. Check what it's power-on/boot settings are when connected to power.
It's likely shutting down when plugged in because the battery is too low. Your computer boots. Windows sees the battery is at critical. Then shuts down again. Give it a few minutes before booting it.

On a side note. Unless you want to be buying a new battery way earlier than expected. Stop letting it go to critical. Your goal should be a 20% minimum. The earlier you put it on a charger the better. Up to about 80% to 90%.

Edit: If it's turning on automatically. Check you BIOS settings. Check what it's power-on/boot settings are when connected to power.

Reactions: doltjust
Solution