Question Battery Issue

Mar 16, 2019
I have a Toshiba Satellite P775-s7215. The current battery is failing and I want to get a new one. I tried 3 different batteries...two were "genuine" Toshiba. If I hot swap them while the laptop is sleeping, they charge to 100% and seem to work fine. The problem with all 3 is when I shut down and reboot, Windows will not start...I get a blinking cursor. If I put back the original failing battery, it will boot into Windows. I tried booting with no battery attached using AC power and I also just got the blinking cursor and no Windows. What gives?

Crimsom_247

Reputable
Sep 19, 2016
Your computer has two batteries, the main battery and a real-time clock (RTC) battery.

Advocate that you download the HWiNFO software from https://www.hwinfo.com/download/. Install and run HWiNFO to collect your computer profile. Have a look at the computer's smart battery status and the current power status in particular. Also look to confirm that the AC Adaptor is charging the main battery.

Not sure if your computer supports "hot swapping" of the main battery pack. Usually completion of POST is required so that the computer recognises the main battery during start-up.

However Toshiba's P700 Series User’s Guide says Place the computer into Hibernation mode and replace the main battery pack with a charged spare. It also says If the AC power light flashes amber during charging, either a battery pack is malfunctioning, or it is not receiving correct input from the AC power supply. Hopefully HWiNFO has also given you this diagnostic information.

Toshiba's Knowledge Base also has information on battery not taking a charge, etc.

I guess that this computer's warranty has expired, but there is nothing to stop you registering your Toshiba and asking for online technical assistance.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2019
Thanks for the reply...I don't think your suggestions address my issue however. There is something Windows does not like about the replacement batteries. The charger is fine...it charges the original and the replacement batteries. The RTC is not an issue. I will try to check with Toshiba.