Question Battery on Aorus B450 I Pro Wifi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 5, 2019
I wrote Gigabyte (got a support ticket) but so far have heard nothing at all about my question, so I thought I would put it out here.
(and I also searched the net, but didn't find any helpful information on this)

On the Gigabyte Aorus B450 I Pro Wifi Mini-ITX motherboard, the battery is sort of on its spine (rather than flat), tucked
next to one of the I/O components and under a metal thermal heat shield/heatsink. How does one get to it? Does this
metal thermal shield come out or slide or what? I don't want to damage anything, but need to access the battery so I can
unplug it (it apparently has a plug into the motherboard, and the plug is also underneath the shield.

Here is a photo of my mini-itx motherboard, with text I added to label where things are:
View: https://imgur.com/Y3mmlWP

Y3mmlWP.jpg

It's a new build, so I had some problems with the CPU pins getting bent, but fixed the pins, yet not before
probably corrupting the BIOS, so I have to do more than just the screwdriver to the CMOS here, and that
requires removing the battery for awhile. But that metal is in my way--what were the thinking?

Anyone have any ideas, or anyone run into a similar problem?

Lutfij

Titan
What's stopping you from getting a pair of tweezers and then trying to unplug the CMOS battery connector on the board? The battery is stuck to the audio port's tower with double sided tape.
2018073116161244_src.png

You only need to worry about the connector.

FYI, per your manual, there is a CLR_CMOS jumper located just above the PCIe X16 slot, you can find the exact location if you open your manual and turn to page 5.

Mar 5, 2019
What's stopping you from getting a pair of tweezers and then trying to unplug the CMOS battery connector on the board? The battery is stuck to the audio port's tower with double sided tape.
2018073116161244_src.png

You only need to worry about the connector.

FYI, per your manual, there is a CLR_CMOS jumper located just above the PCIe X16 slot, you can find the exact location if you open your manual and turn to page 5.

Yes, I've done that already; which is why I wrote in my original post that I need to do more than that with the issues I'm having.
The connector for the battery is under the metal thermal guard/shield, and there does not appear room for it to lift, and certainly
not room to maneuver tweezers between the M.2 shield and the CPU's heatsink/fan (or even with those off).

Mar 5, 2019
I heard back from Gigabyte, actually, and have this:
cZyltFF.jpg

While Gigabyte's eSupport mentioned the usual about using a screwdriver to clear CMOS at THAT jumper pin (already did that),
they did also mention "the battery will require you to completely remove the board from the case and unscrew the VRMs heatsink from the back side".
(so it can be removed)

This is all because of an attempt to see if the board is still good, after a mishap involving the CPU coming up with the fan/heatsink
and being placed back down in reverse (so the AMD logo on the fan didn't interfere with the memory modules going in. I didn't
realize what had happened until later, and upon removing it all again, saw that a few pins on the CPU had been bent. It had been
turned on during its (wrongly-placed) time in the slot, too. So the question remains: did BIOS get corrupted? I carefully bent the pins
back into straight position, and put the CPU back in, and whereas fans had NOT worked previously (duh!--they weren't going to with
a CPU in all wrong), the fans then worked (after pins were straightened and CPU placed in right). PSU fan worked, CPU fan worked,
and video graphics card fan worked. All currently work, BUT: haven't seen BIOS screen yet. Nothing goes to the screen at all (no signal).
Tried the whole 'no memory', 'one stick', 'two sticks', etc. Got one short BEEP when I had fixed the CPU and the fans worked--the kind
of beep that occurs right before POST and/or BIOS menu...like everything is normal. Then nothing.

So...I read one can further clear out things by unplugging the battery, and even Gigabyte says 'shorting' the battery jumper is also
a way to clear out a corrupted BIOS. This board has two BIOS chips on it, and if both of them aren't messed up, then the good one
(the backup) will replace the default (main) one. Anyway, to me, it's worth a shot. Otherwise, looking at a dead motherboard, which
I'll just replace.

I'm further than I was, with the fans working. And there is a line of yellow/green/orange LED lights that came on when the fans worked.
(I assume they're just decoration and not error codes). When I took out the memory, there was no fuss from the motherboard in the
form of any beeps. The same one, the short beep, was still there.

Anyway, question answered, finally.

Mar 5, 2019
It worked!!! :D

I used tweezers and a tiny screwdriver to lift the plastic battery jumper up off its two pins
(done through the back, since the I/O shield wasn't there after I removed the motherboard from the case)
then I waited awhile, during which time I used a screwdriver to (once again) touch the CMOS jumpers. I also
(as per Gigabyte's view) touched a screwdriver to the two battery jumper pins, same as CMOS.
Then, I removed the metal thermal shield (two screws on underside of motherboard) so that I could more easily
replace the plastic battery jumper onto its pins, restored the metal shield, put it all back in the case w/video card, etc.,
and fired it up. I think I hit reset after seeing BIOS and the mouse freezing or something, but upon reboot
it said 'BIOS has been reset'. Voila! Got into the UEFI BIOS and...I am typing right now on a freshly-installed
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on the very motherboard I thought might be dead.

Reactions: tokong0624
Status
Not open for further replies.