[SOLVED] Battery wont charge above 83% ! :(((

Apr 20, 2019
I have a Dell latitude 3340, yesterday i noticed that it said "83% plugged in not charging". Some times the battery stops charging at 80% and if i remove the adapter and plug it again, then it starts charging but stops for good at 83%.
I tried clearing CMOS by pressing power button for 1 Min but didn't work.
I ran through a few Diagnostics but battery test always passes & BIOS says battery health is excellent . i dont know what is causing this. Is this a Battery issue or a power adapter problem. since i bought that laptop a few months ago (second hand) i get a message in bios saying that AC power adapter is not recognized. I was wondering if my battery not charging is related to power adapter. should i get a new battery or change my Power adapter?

Solution
The reason why your battery would stay upto 83% and not charge further could be due to an option called "Desktop Mode" which might be enabled. Desktop mode helps in disabling the battery to charge upto 100% to maximize the life of the battery. This option can also be disabled. To disable this option:

• Right-click the battery icon on the Windows notification area, and then click Dell Extended Battery life Options
  • The Battery Meter dialog box is displayed, Click the Desktop Mode tab
  • Select the option to disable this feature
  • Then, click OK

blackcatpc

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
This sounds like at least 1 Cell has died within the battery and is unable to charge. Is this a reasonably new battery? If so contact the seller. If the battery has slowly depreciated over time (years), I would recommend buying a new battery as it will only get worse.
I hope this helps,

Ben

Reactions: damando
The reason why your battery would stay upto 83% and not charge further could be due to an option called "Desktop Mode" which might be enabled. Desktop mode helps in disabling the battery to charge upto 100% to maximize the life of the battery. This option can also be disabled. To disable this option:

• Right-click the battery icon on the Windows notification area, and then click Dell Extended Battery life Options
  • The Battery Meter dialog box is displayed, Click the Desktop Mode tab
  • Select the option to disable this feature
  • Then, click OK

Solution

TRENDING THREADS