'Battle.Net' No More; Blizzard To Rename Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Oh please, they are just doing what Steam, Origin and other platforms did.
Change from single game networked platform to multigame distribution system.

Sad, "Battle.net" has become a well known staple. Anyone that has ever played a Blizzard game knows what it is. The name recognition is off the charts, I really don't understand this move. I think they are sacrificing something that is iconic Blizzard.

alextheblue

Distinguished
Seems pointless. Blizzard games use it, if you play one of their games, you use Battle.net. No different than Valve -> Steam or EA -> Origin. Where's the confusion exactly, Blizzard? They should just come out and say nah man it's not cool anymore in the year 2016... we're gonna call it Icechill, brah.

I wouldn't be surprised if they did, but if you have a source a link would be appreciated.

bluesdealer

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Seems like a marketing move. .NET anything carries a strong 90s connotation with it, so I suppose they are trying to make the service seem more modern. To me, its iconic and nostalgic, but I'm getting old and there's a new generation of gamers who don't have any concept of connecting to an optional server to enable online multiplayer. They just happily pay their Xbox Live subscription so they can game on an internet connection they already pay an ISP for.

Not to mention, Blizzard want to normalize an "always on" internet connection requirement in games as more of an expectation, because that's were the $$ is.

It seems a trivial matter, and no big deal, really. Though I don't see why its necessary to change it either lol. Change it to what, I wonder? Many of those who've known it since the beginning, many moons ago, are accostomed to the name battle.net, going as far back as we remember.

I guess it's based on the fact that the Battle.net people have largely grown up now, perhaps outside of their intended demographic...

But with that said, I really do fail to see the point in renaming it. Battle.net is instantaneous brand recognition and personally, comes to me as having a fair degree of respectability. It's solid, it's backed, well-supported and useful.

You say Gamespy, maybe some people know it. Say game ranger, some might know it. Name hamachi or ESO or these other engines, people might know it. Anyone who's part of the culture, however, KNOWS Battle.net. It's a staple.

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
I know what they will rename it to, or at least the most possible candidates:

1. P0kEm0N. Net

2. MyLittleP0ny.Net

3. KungFuPandaz.Net

4. Communism.Net

mavikt

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
You still connect to Blizzard servers these days, nothing has changed.
Why don't they just keep the name and start educating people instead!

Emil_11

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
This actually makes me pretty sad... 15 years from now, only old timers will know what battle.net means.

The name battle.net is associated with so many wonderful memories in my mind.

bloodroses

Distinguished

I'd say Sky.Net would be more fitting :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS