Battle With Your Mind In The 'Call of Duty: Black Ops III' Story Trailer

Status
Not open for further replies.

chalabam

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2015
What "story" means for a player: "I don't want to feel like I'm just pushing buttons. I want to be immersed in the illusion of really doing something".

What "story" means for game developers: "Do not let the player do anything. Force him to watch a lame movie instead of playing a game. Make lame unskippable cutsenes, then fill it with Quick Time Events. Make a close corridor so the gamer can't do anyting but exactly following our lame script. Don't let the player actually using the cool toys, just show them to him".

What the game experience ends being: "I'm just pressing a button for the [strike]game[/strike] script not pausing".

poochiepiano

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2010
What "story" means for a player: "I don't want to feel like I'm just pushing buttons. I want to be immersed in the illusion of really doing something".

What "story" means for game developers: "Do not let the player do anything. Force him to watch a lame movie instead of playing a game. Make lame unskippable cutsenes, then fill it with Quick Time Events. Make a close corridor so the gamer can't do anyting but exactly following our lame script. Don't let the player actually using the cool toys, just show them to him".

What the game experience ends being: "I'm just pressing a button for the [strike]game[/strike] script not pausing".
I respect your opinion but MW2 had a fantastic story and an immersive campaign. Sure, it probably all went downhill from there for the CoD franchise, but still. It had many of the same elements you didn't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.