Battlefield 1: Does it worth overclocking my 7700K?

mahanddeem

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2007
Hello guys,
My system: Asus IX Hero, 7700K@4.5GHz, DDR4 16GB 3200MHz XMP, Noctus D15S, Gigabyte G TX1080 Xtreme gaming, Corsair AX750 PSU, BenQ 144Hz 1920x1080

Playing predominantly BF1 on my PC on my 1080p 144Hz monitor, ultra preset. No V-sync capped fps to 144. Average of 130fps.

Does it worth overclocking my 7700K higher than 4.5GHz on all cores?
Will I get better fps to solid 144fps?

Currently liking my CPU max temp when playing about 52-57c and low voltage of 1.136v at 4.5GHz turbo frequency.
Thanks

Solution
4.5ghz is a mild overclock, turbo boost out of the box is 4.4ghz (more like 4.2ghz when all 4 cores are loaded). So long as temps don't increase too much and you don't have to increase vcore too much, try it. You've got a decent cooler and some thermal headroom. Averaging around 55c when gaming, you could run up to around 15c hotter and still be fine gaming.

Try checking your current fps and write it down, then slowly increase your overclock and keep an eye on temps. Try to keep vcore no higher than around 1.4v (1.35v or less would be better if possible) and recheck your fps. See if they went up. If not then no big deal, just input the current settings you're running at.

Charl15

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
BF1 is a very CPU intensive game. So a decent OC might get some extra fps. I see you are running a Noctua D15S. I should handle a mild OC fairly well whilst maintaining acceptable temps, but as soon as you add extra volts to the core the stabilize the OC if you are running a very aggressive OC (Anything nearing 4.8-4.9Ghz) I think that cooler will start to struggle keeping the temps in check. The best way to see what its capable of is to overclock the CPU and see what extra performance you get and what the rise in temps are like in your specific scenario. Then decide if that extra FPS you get is worth the higher temps (possible higher noise too).

Side note: If you do decide to overclock that CPU then get a decent heatsink paste. It might lower the temps by n couple of degrees which should help.

4.5ghz is a mild overclock, turbo boost out of the box is 4.4ghz (more like 4.2ghz when all 4 cores are loaded). So long as temps don't increase too much and you don't have to increase vcore too much, try it. You've got a decent cooler and some thermal headroom. Averaging around 55c when gaming, you could run up to around 15c hotter and still be fine gaming.

Try checking your current fps and write it down, then slowly increase your overclock and keep an eye on temps. Try to keep vcore no higher than around 1.4v (1.35v or less would be better if possible) and recheck your fps. See if they went up. If not then no big deal, just input the current settings you're running at.

Solution

BigBoomBoom

Commendable
Apr 9, 2017

Huh, NH-D15S is exactly the same as NH-D15, and NH-D15 is comparable to Corsair H105. Silicon Lottery test their i7-7700k with H105. Also NT-H1 is a damn good paste. Not sure what kinda paste going to lower the temp by couple of degrees apart from ultra extreme ones for super overclocking like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

Charl15

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017

I think you might have misunderstood. I am not saying that the NH-D15S is bad. I'm saying that it might not be enough for a extremely overclocked 7700K, but the temps could be affected by a lot of factors like ambient temps, type of case, case fan config. Stuff that we don't know. Thats why I said he should OC it and see what temps he gets with his specific setup.