Battlefield 1 FPS drops GTX 1060 6GB

MickeyDzele

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
I'm desperate. I bought a new PC recently (Strix Gtx 1060 6gb, ryzen 5 1500X, 1x8 gb 2400mhz ram), and at first I was getting extreme freezes in BF4 lasting a few seconds. I bought BF1 and experienced the same. Managed to fix it by deleting Nvidia geforce experience, turning Origin in-game off and updating drivers. Now, I am left with FPS drops, my fps randomly goes from 60 or 70 to 50/40 (especially when I spawn) and sometimes it lasts for 10 seconds or so, and sometimes it just causes a cut. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution

Memtest86 is just to test that your memory is working. That wouldn't likely cause FPS drops but rather errors but it's always a good first step.
1. follow instructions to create USB thumb drive or CD/DVD
2. boot to MEMTEST86 (may need to enter BIOS to select quick-boot to it)
3. touch nothing.. just wait for FULL PASS to hit "1" (or until errors)

It's hard to troubleshoot things like this, but in general my next step is to run basic benchmarks like Unigine Valley/Heaven and SINGLE PLAYER (no network) games to see...
First off, you're losing some CPU performance by having only single channel DDR4 memory.

FPS drops happen normally in games so it's hard to know if it's a problem with your hardware, software or just the game working as expected.

My best guess would be a CPU bottleneck which might be improved by adding another stick of identical memory (in Dual Channel as per motherboard manual) but I'd use MEMTEST86 first if you haven't yet:

www.memtest86.com (run for a full pass)

MickeyDzele

Prominent
Jul 13, 2017
I watched BF1 benchmarks with my GPU and CPU, and FPS drops definitely don't happen. The only difference is that their specs have 2x8 ram, maybe that's why their gameplay is smooth. I download memtest, and then do what?

Memtest86 is just to test that your memory is working. That wouldn't likely cause FPS drops but rather errors but it's always a good first step.
1. follow instructions to create USB thumb drive or CD/DVD
2. boot to MEMTEST86 (may need to enter BIOS to select quick-boot to it)
3. touch nothing.. just wait for FULL PASS to hit "1" (or until errors)

It's hard to troubleshoot things like this, but in general my next step is to run basic benchmarks like Unigine Valley/Heaven and SINGLE PLAYER (no network) games to see if they work right.

If most things seem to be working fine that suggests it's game-specific so in this case probably it's more demanding of the CPU (which in turn may be bottlenecked somewhat by the system memory).

SPAWNING:
10 seconds or so actually could be related to LOAD TIMES from the HDD and/or delays in the network. That's why multi-player isn't optimal for testing.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS