BattleField 2 hands-on preview

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/battlefield2/preview_6120651.html

"...We also had another chance to try out some of the game's vehicles,
including the US forces' startlingly fast M1A2 SEP battle tank and the
devastating Su-34 Flanker fighter bomber. Players who enjoyed carpet bombing
ground targets in Battlefield Vietnam will probably feel right at home with
Battlefield 2's souped-up military jets, especially since the game's
expansive 64-player maps allow much more airspace to fly through. The larger
areas are a lot more conducive to dogfights, so even the most skilled bomber
pilots will quickly find themselves pursued by squads of F-15E Strike
Eagles. Both on the ground and in the air, you'll actually see additional
team-based benefits that radiate from any vehicles being piloted by medics
or engineers. Standing near a vehicle driven by a medic will actually
slightly heal your wounds over time, and driving near a vehicle with an
engineer behind the wheel will actually repair your vehicle slightly. This
is yet another feature intended to promote team tactics and, in a larger
sense, to keep players closer to the action (so there are more interesting
firefights and fewer long runs to the next control point)."

Look's like it's been delayed till this summer.

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005 18:43:32 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>engineer behind the wheel will actually repair your vehicle slightly. This
>is yet another feature intended to promote team tactics and, in a larger
>sense, to keep players closer to the action (so there are more interesting
>firefights and fewer long runs to the next control point)."

Slight healing? Like anyone is going to be stupid enough to cluster
around a vehicle waiting for slight healing. That would be every
bomber pilot's dream, to see 10 guys just standing around a vehicle
waiting to get bombed.

Sadly enough, they won't do what it takes to actually encourage team
tactics. Remove individual scoring. When everyone is competing to be
the top killer, team score becomes irrelevant. For many of the
players of the Battlefield games, they would much rather go for #1
scorer (on the losing team), than trade that #1 spot for #2 and a team
win.

I'd suggest a compromise, only individual scores for the winning
team are shown. But this won't change anything. Those same players
above would rather try for #1 half the time than #2 all the time.
Just remove individual scores, show the list of winners and the list
of losers.

Another compromise would be to show only the winning team and take
each score and add a random amount from 1 to the highest score on a
team to that score, so that even the lowest scoring player on a team
could end up tied with the high scorer and everyone else could still
have a chance of being on top. This is of course weighted, people
starting with high scores are, on average, going to be closer to the
top. People will fight for the team, the better players will (on
average) be at the top of the score lists, but the emphasis on
individual achievement will be reduced.

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005 12:19:02 +0000, sayNO2steam
<sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote:

>On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>
>it will be a proper pc game good for all pc gamers!

Then you're going right out to buy it?

Of course not, you've already told us that you aren't even buying
Brothers in Arms until 2006.

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, Johnny Bravo wrote:

why are you making me confirm whether or not i'll buy every pc game
release? are you making my own "to buy list"? that's my job!

and before you flame me with lies let me tell you, i only defended
pc gamers buying as many titles possible with two conditions, they
liking the game and if they can afford it

so no i'll not confirm if i will or not buy battlefield 2 cause you
will for sure use it against me

--
post made in a steam-free computer
i said "NO" to valve and steam

against steam campaign
http://nosteam.afterdarknet.at/

steamwatch - independent observatory about steam
http://www.steamwatch.org/

On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, "OldDog" wrote:

they can but not without a fight!
and that's why this group is in a civil war... gamers against gamers
we will fight with everything we got to defend our freedom and dignity!

--

Thusly sayNO2steam <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> Spake Unto All:

>On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, Johnny Bravo wrote:
>
>why are you making me confirm whether or not i'll buy every
>psychotoxic? are you making my own "to buy list"? that's my job!

That's you _job_?

>and before you flame me with lies let me tell you, i only defended
>pc gamers buying as many psycotoxic possible with two conditions, they
>liking it and if they can afford it

Admit it: you're dutch, right?

>so no i'll not confirm if i will or not buy cristal meth cause you
>will for sure use it against me

But you have all these money you've saved by pirating games. Why not
use that to buy drugs? Then you could surely afford some chrystal
meth.

Thusly sayNO2steam <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> Spake Unto All:

>they can but not without a fight!
>and that's why this group is in a civil war... me against gamers
>they will fight with everything they got to defend their freedom
>and dignity!

SayNO2straightsex, let me tell you something - they're not fighting
you. They're ridiculing you.
They do this because they think you are ridculous. They think your
pants are ugly. They hate you. Just like the other kids.

"sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>
> they can but not without a fight!
> and that's why this group is in a civil war... gamers against gamers
> we will fight with everything we got to defend our freedom and dignity!

Sorry, but I've seen better fights in the 2nd grade when Jimmy took Sally's
orange crayon. ;)

While you might see this as a civil war, I think of it as a disagreement
between fellow gamers. With a little mud slinging tossed in for flavor.

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:50:58 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>"sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>>
>> they can but not without a fight!
>> and that's why this group is in a civil war... gamers against gamers
>> we will fight with everything we got to defend our freedom and dignity!
>>

>Sorry, but I've seen better fights in the 2nd grade when Jimmy took Sally's
>orange crayon. ;)
>
>While you might see this as a civil war, I think of it as a disagreement
>between fellow gamers. With a little mud slinging tossed in for flavor.

After all, what good is watching a dull boring fight?

of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

blob

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2005

On Sun, 20 Mar 2005 20:50:58 GMT, "OldDog" <OldDog@city.pound> wrote:

>"sayNO2steam" <sayNO2steam@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> On Sat, 19 Mar 2005, "OldDog" wrote:
>>
>> they can but not without a fight!
>> and that's why this group is in a civil war... gamers against gamers
>> we will fight with everything we got to defend our freedom and dignity!
>>

>Sorry, but I've seen better fights in the 2nd grade when Jimmy took Sally's
>orange crayon. ;)
>
>While you might see this as a civil war, I think of it as a disagreement
>between fellow gamers. With a little mud slinging tossed in for flavor.

How does difool/sayYES2crack qualify as a gamer? It seems pretty
obvious he doesn't buy or play any games (if he did, he would surely
have no problem naming a single one of them).

I'll wait for the Battlefield 2/WW2 mod. Actually I'm sort of serious.