Battlefield 3 Banned in Iran Over Tehran Scenario

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oxiide

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dickcheney[/nom]Im all for going final solution on our internal Talibans but that's not PC anymore, sadly.[/citation]
Implying mass murder would have been perfectly PC at some point in the past?

dickcheney

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
[citation][nom]oxiide[/nom]Implying mass murder would have been perfectly PC at some point in the past?[/citation]

As uncle Joe once said: ''The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic.''

Nobody seemed to care that much in the 40s.

deh2010

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
The game was made by Swedish developers (DICE). I don't think the US government had any influence in where it takes place. All you have to do is watch international news for the last 2 decades and you will see most of the hate, anger, and war in the world is coming from the middle east. Its no surprise that game developers would choose that backdrop to base to their FPS war games on. Same reason there are tons of WW2 games out there.

rooket

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
I wouldn't mess around in a dictatorship country like Iran. You're liable to get killed for treason or something. After all, this is the same country that will kill you if you are gay. i'm not even exaggerating here.

jdwii

Splendid
Another reason why the U.S is better then this country they have no freedom their, Don't get me wrong the U.S is know walk in the park either but at least i can watch or play any game or movie.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
[citation][nom]rooket[/nom]I wouldn't mess around in a dictatorship country like Iran. You're liable to get killed for treason or something. After all, this is the same country that will kill you if you are gay. i'm not even exaggerating here.[/citation]
You didn't but I tell: Watching the photos of a 14-years old girl before and after being stoned to death is so terribly sad and shocking it could lead a normal person to depression.

Now let's ask ourselves: What is UN for?

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]pcworm[/nom]Iranian guy herepirating is actually not a big problem for many people, although there are many bans and filters on the internet, torrents are somehow left alone (hurrah)not that I am encouraging anyone to pirate it, but its a last resort here.the funny thing is, there are numerous (500+) small corporations, dedicated to bering the latest and greatest warez releases to the public! with proper printed cases and prices as low as 1$/DVDsalary: I am a grad student at TMU, quiet a good university, logging a total of 130hrs/month and earning 780$ a month, as a programmer and software engineer, so go figure...a good internet connection here is 1Mb/s, costing upward of 50$ a month (unlimited download)so theoretically (for us practically) most new software can be downloaded in 2-3 days using bit torrentnot a pretty picture, I knowand no, we can not use steam because:1) we have no access to international credit cards2) online shops like itunes, android market and steam, do not provide services to us[/citation]
$780 a month? I don't buy it, especially if you have on mind that is something you can get in most of EU countries, and I mean European Union, not European. Heck for EU candidate countries that's more than decent salary. I call you lier.

pcworm

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
[citation][nom]hetneo[/nom]$780 a month? I don't buy it, especially if you have on mind that is something you can get in most of EU countries, and I mean European Union, not European. Heck for EU candidate countries that's more than decent salary. I call you liar.[/citation]

1: i accidentally thumbed u up, so don't get cocky
you are right, i was giving a ball park, considering the old $/Rial exchange rate which was around 10000 rials 9 month ago, i would have been earning 6$/hour, with the current rates, I am actually getting around 650$/month(130hrs work) yeah,it is quiet a good salary, but I am one of the lucky ones, and I am getting my MA in info-communication technologies in 4 months, and I would be getting a lot more

also, seeing as iran is a developing country,i am one of the people whose abilities are needed and i am lucky to have a job.

for the record, living in iran is not that bad... people do their best

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]deh2010[/nom]The game was made by Swedish developers (DICE). I don't think the US government had any influence in where it takes place. All you have to do is watch international news for the last 2 decades and you will see most of the hate, anger, and war in the world is coming from the middle east. [/citation]
1. Vietnam is not in the middle east, and the Vietnamese were not the ones using Napalm.
2. Russians invade Afghanistan -> CIA trains the Mujahideen -> US stops caring about them after the Cold war. They went rogue.

You have go further than 2 decades to understand history properly. I know you must be a patriotic citizen, most of us love our country, but please do research properly before blaming other countries/people for things that may or may not be their fault.

Fierce Guppy

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
'"We understand that the story of a videogame is hypothetical ... (but) we believe the game is purposely released at a time when the U.S. is pushing the international community into fearing Iran," the group claims.'

Since it's the Iranian regime we're talking talking about, the apropos word is "detest", "loathe",or "hate" as do a great many Iranian students who fought it following the 2009 elections.

Banning games isn't unusual for the regime. Au contraire... Here's a link to a list of many other games banned in Iran.

http://www.gooyait.com/1389/06/12/list-games-banned-in-iran.html

Tony.

Fierce Guppy

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Oh, TH blocks links... Well here's the list of other games banned in Iran.

Call of Duty 4, Driver series, X Man, Manhunt, God of War, God of War 2, Sims 2, Sims 3, Assassin Creed 1, Hitman, Blood Money, Culpa Innata, Lula 3D, Playboy, Singles, The Witcher, Turok, Crimes of War, Counter Strike 1.7, Counter Strike 2.0, Clive Barker's Jericho, Delta Force series, The Punisher, Soldier of Fortune: Payback, Land of the Dead, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, Made Man: Confessions of the Family Blood, N.F.S Collection, 25 To Life, Terrorist Take Down 2, Mortal Kombat: Deception, Beijing 2008, Need for speed 2, Need for speed 3, Need for speed 4, King of Clubs, Juiced 2, Guitar Heros: Legend of Rock, Kayne & Lynch: Dead Man, Scar Face: The World is Yours, Need for speed: Pro Street, Maxpayne 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Mafia.

wwwDOTgooyaitDOTcom/1389/06/12/list-games-banned-in-iranDOThtml

Tony.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011

TH does NOT block links. You just have to have something between the url tags.

That said, Iran sucks... why the hell would someone ban NFS? :D And what's with banning Mafia and The Witcher but not Mafia 2 and TW2? :)

Fierce Guppy

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011

Old list most likely. The web page I took it from is dated 3-Sep-2010 and who knows how long the list has been doing the rounds in Iran before someone decided to post it. In any case, from a puritanical-psycho-religious angle all those games are morally corrupting.

Tony.

Status
Not open for further replies.