Battlefield 3 crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanis13

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hi there,

After searching numerous forums without a solution, I've decided to post my issues here.

I'm experiencing, and have been experiencing problems running Battlefield 3 since the beginning.

My setup:
Windows 8
Asus P8 z67 deluxe
Intel Core i7
Corsair 8GB DDR3 2000MHz (2x4)
2 x Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 in CrossFire

My problem:
Using any other drivers than the Battlefield 3 Beta drivers (believe is 11.8) for AMD, makes my game crash. I'm experiencing two different kinds of crashes: (1) The game crashes just at the end of loading screen - either to desktop with a DirectX error "GetDeviceRemovedReason" or completely crashes the computer, unable to do anything, or (2) Game launches and I can play for a few minutes, with flickering pixel display, until it either crashes to desktop or the whole computer.

What I've tried:
I've reinstalled 4 times now, both with Windows 7 and 8 without any result. The only drivers that seems to be working is the old 11.8. Using the newest drivers 13.1 all other games seems to be working fine and CrossFire is working as well.
I've just installed a fresh version of Windows 8 with the new 13.1 drivers, but the problems seems to persist. I've tried an uninstall of the drivers without luck.

I hope anyone has tried something similar and came up with a solution, because I'm lost for ideas on how to proceed.

Best regards
/2mas

Solution
try with a single card? try each card separately with BF3. Maybe one card has bad ram. it may not be showing up in other games because they dont use as much vram as BF3......... Also there should be a 13.3 beta driver available. Otherwise i guess you will have to stick to the old drivers for now, and maybe report the issue to AMD.
try with a single card? try each card separately with BF3. Maybe one card has bad ram. it may not be showing up in other games because they dont use as much vram as BF3......... Also there should be a 13.3 beta driver available. Otherwise i guess you will have to stick to the old drivers for now, and maybe report the issue to AMD.

Solution

XYMan

Honorable
Jun 16, 2012
I'm assuming it's a Crossfire issue, honestly I don't understand much about AMD cards but I recommend that you call EA's support @ +1-8665435435 (US Free Toll number) maybe they encountered people with issues like that and can solve your problem easily.

Tanis13

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Thanks for replying - after a half day of testing, it seems to be one of the graphic cards who were responsible for the error.
Running with just the single card gave me this error:
DirectX function "GetDeviceRemovedReason" failed with DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG: Device hung due to badly formed commands.. GPU: "AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM v1.20)", Driver: Unknown

Trying to return the card.

Thanks for you help!

Status
Not open for further replies.