[SOLVED] Battlefield 5 run more smoothly on my 4 years old gpu vs rtx 2060

jesseJCS

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016
I had my hand on the MSI 2060 OC and well, for what I've witnessed my r9 390 run it way more smoothly, and stable. I tried both at medium settings without v-sync, and the 390 goes around 80-90fps stable-ish, meanwhile the 2060 (That was also overclocked by myself a tiny bit) has such a big fat fps gap , from 150 to 50. Most of the time it runs around 60-70, but it goes under 60 way too often to probably anyone's taste. Why would my 4 years old gpu run it better?

i5 7600k clocked at 4.3
2x8Gb 2666 rams

Solution
do you have Ray Tracing enabled? Ray tracing would eat the frame rates away. The 2060 can handle ray tracing in 1080p well, but you would see framerates around 60fps vs. 100 to 120 without ray tracing. since your old card can't do ray tracing, the feature is automatically disabled and therefore you will have higher rates. Don't play multiplayer with ray tracing. But war stories with ray tracing is pretty cool......the reflections of explosions, fire in puddles, wet ground, windows, etc. are looking pretty cool....

jesseJCS

Commendable
Jul 21, 2016

I know drivers are important, but would that really make that big of a difference? I could see a significant boost on my other games, but not BF5

Drivers are VERY GPU specific. Trying to run an nVidia card with AMD drivers still installed is a crapshoot at best, and can cause all kinds of headaches due to the conflict with nVidia drivers.

mjbn1977

Distinguished
do you have Ray Tracing enabled? Ray tracing would eat the frame rates away. The 2060 can handle ray tracing in 1080p well, but you would see framerates around 60fps vs. 100 to 120 without ray tracing. since your old card can't do ray tracing, the feature is automatically disabled and therefore you will have higher rates. Don't play multiplayer with ray tracing. But war stories with ray tracing is pretty cool......the reflections of explosions, fire in puddles, wet ground, windows, etc. are looking pretty cool....

Solution