Battlestar Galactica MMO Game in Development

Status
Not open for further replies.

luman

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
So you take this hugely popular series and spin it off into a *browser-based* MMO? What? I think it should be made right, as a true blue executable. I'm not sure how popular it's going to be given we have Eve, Star Trek, and soon to be Star Wars. Unless it's going to try and innovate, and be a "real" MMO demanding some serious hardware I just don't see it drawing a solid base.

It almost sounds like they'd have to roll it out like Lord of the Rings given that the story behind Battlestar isn't (as?) open-ended like Star Trek was.. It's more A to Z, linear.

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
[citation][nom]tipoo[/nom]Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica.[/citation]
Right on!

I was intrigued until the browser-based part. I'm sure they'll also try to slip in some ridiculous romance between Apollo and Starbuck that will just keep going, and going, and going....

Ed Brown

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Another Frakkin' crappy shovelware MMO based on a damn good franchise (MONTHS of development ffs - and smartphone capability?!?).

Oh well, it has happened before and it will happen again, sadly.

loucipher

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
This is almost certain to be a travesty. BSG has a very definite ending, and it isn't one which would allow a continuation of events flying around fighting in space. Which means it can't be a sequel and stay even remotely true to the show's story. Which leaves two options: prequel or side story. A prequel is doable, as you can go through the first cylon war, but given that it ends with an armistice and the disappearance of the cylons, the endgame would be a bit of a letdown. Which leaves us with a side story. This would be a bit of a challenge, as you could either dump players on other battlestars, which don't exist according to the show, or on Galactica. The latter option presents its own problems, as you can either rehash the existing story or embellish it, which would be difficult to do without compromising the quality of the story.

Whatever path they take, I'm not hopeful. And being browser-based worries me even more. Granted, browser based games have made great strides in the past few years (Quake Live, anyone?), but you just can't get the same degree of power and control over the hardware you can with a standalone engine.

randomizer

Champion
Being browser-based isn't so bad. The Tiger Wood's online game doesn't look half bad for a browser-rendered game. If all you can think of is Runescape then you need to go and find out what you can actually do in a browser.

Of course I don't like MMOs, so I have that against it.

G

Yeah, right... And will it be designed and charged for by someone like Cryptic ? We saw it with Star Trek Online and gamers simply will not accept franchised software from companies incapable of providing reasonable gameplay and support.
All the people burned by Star Trek Online will be sitting on the fence with me until it really proves it is more than hype.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]luman[/nom]So you take this hugely popular series and spin it off into a *browser-based* MMO? What? I think it should be made right, as a true blue executable. I'm not sure how popular it's going to be given we have Eve, Star Trek, and soon to be Star Wars. Unless it's going to try and innovate, and be a "real" MMO demanding some serious hardware I just don't see it drawing a solid base.[/citation]WoW doesn't really demand serious hardware... you shouldn't need hardcore cutting edge graphics to make a fun MMO, although it IS a nice bonus. Anyway, while I liked the new BSG series, I don't think it's that popular among gamers. Even among sci-fi MMO fans, its going to lose out to Star Trek, Star Wars, and EVE/DUST. Even if they made a full-fledged MMO, I don't think anything would change that fact.

Plus its a whole lot cheaper this way. I don't think any company is going to put a year or two and lots of money into a BSG MMO, when the sad truth is that it probably won't be able to draw enough people to stay alive and grow. Especially if they charge the standard $50 box + $15/month to keep money flowing in. It would probably be like Tabula Rasa all over again anyway.

No, I think it was this, or nothing. Maybe they would have been better off with nothing, only time will tell.

arlandi

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
being a cylon... hmm... i don't think i'll be interested to see my character to look exactly like the other cylons. afterall, there are only like 10 humanoid (flesh) cylons...
i do hope they will make this a free-to-play game.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]TookeyMan[/nom]*rollseyes* Not another MMO...At first I really liked the new Battlestar but that quickly changed when it got all weird.[/citation]
I agree, At first I really liked the new Battlestar but that quickly changed when it got all weird. The new Caprica is crappy too.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]Regulas[/nom]The new Caprica is crappy too.[/citation]

Speaking of Caprica, they should do an MMO based on the Holo-Band world, where Zoe's avatar resides. One which you can be anything, do anything or anyone and have no fear of consequences... No Wait, that already exists. Second Life anyone? :p

talmai

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Why does everything have to be an MMO these days? You'd think there is only a certain amount of people out there that are going to play an MMO due to the time demands they put on you. I don't recall there being any decent regular BSG games either.

talmai

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
Why does everything have to be an MMO these days? You'd think there is only a certain amount of people out there that are going to play an MMO due to the time demands they put on you. I don't recall there being any decent regular BSG games either.

gamerjames

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Being browser-based isn't so bad. The Tiger Wood's online game doesn't look half bad for a browser-rendered game. If all you can think of is Runescape then you need to go and find out what you can actually do in a browser.Of course I don't like MMOs, so I have that against it.[/citation]

I haven't played runescape in a few years, but my little brother does, and with full screen + max settings + antialiasing, the game is starting to look really good.

Don't believe me? Try it out, its actually pretty interesting lol

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
I have a hard time thinking of this as a Good MMO. It's too linear... the stage is rather limited, and browser based? I'll play if it's free for sure... but I won't be paying. I'm a huge fan of the series BTW!

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
hmmm... very dunno if BSG and its complexity can become a browser base MMO.. Coming from a major fan of BTRL in homage to BSG gameplay..... course then again some browser mmo's are fun (Deepolis) is one of them, but as long as it doesn't get too repetitive then it can be ok... Still, shame for a shameless plug at scoring $$ from a franchise in name only.

alextheblue

Distinguished
[citation][nom]RipperjackAU[/nom]Speaking of Caprica, they should do an MMO based on the Holo-Band world, where Zoe's avatar resides. One which you can be anything, do anything or anyone and have no fear of consequences... No Wait, that already exists. Second Life anyone?[/citation]Yeah either that or The Matrix, both of which are terrible for very different reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.